Apple to sell record 2 million Macs this quarter, says firm

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With Apple having announced its new iMac line on Tuesday, analysts for RBC Capital Markets say they're confident the company will ship a record 2 million Mac systems during the current quarter ending September.



"Updated iMacs further affirm our outlook for stronger Mac/iPhone momentum [over the next two quarters], based on forecasts from RBC's Technology Adoption Panel, with 2.0 million Macs expected [during the current September quarter]," lead analyst Mike Abramsky told clients in a research note Wednesday.



For Apple, such sales would represent a more than two-fold increase in fiscal fourth quarter Mac sales over the same period just three years ago. During the September quarter of 2004, the Cupertino-based firm managed to sell just over 800,000 systems, which pales in comparison its current momentum in the PC business.



In speaking to clients, Abramsky said he expects the Mac maker's worldwide share of the personal computer market to rise from 2.4 percent to 3.3 percent by the end of next year, adding that each 0.25 percent of share increase would equate to approximately $700 million in additional quarterly revenue (or $0.11 per share).



Combined with the ongoing iPhone publicity and its 'iPod with a Mac' promotion, the analyst contended that Apple's latest round of iMacs and consumer-oriented media software also signal a "strong push" against longtime rival Microsoft during the back-to-school buying season.



"Apple's iMac update targets the sole of the home and student market, a key battleground for Microsoft switchers, and potential subsequent premium upgraders," he wrote.



In his note to clients Wednesday, the RBC analyst also reported on his latest round of Apple and AT&T retail checks, which "suggests that iPhone demand/sales momentum remains steady."



"We are reiterating our iPhone outlook for 13.4 million units [by the end of 2008]," he wrote.



RBC Capital Markets also reiterated its Outperform rating and $175 price target on shares of Apple.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,852member
    I could live with $175.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    That certainly is reasonable since they hit 1.76 million this last quarter and we're into the back-to-school buying season. The new iMac will sure help a bit too no doubt.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I could live with $175.



    Me too. Now if we could get CLWR heading in the right direction......
  • Reply 4 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,852member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Me too. Now if we could get CLWR heading in the right direction......



    Don't worry... Google may buy them out soon.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    I was at the Apple store at Millenia today, running some last minute errands. I was there for nearly a half hour as I watched many iPhones leave in that span. In the mean while, not a single iPhone display was ever alone, with a queue of people milling about, waiting for one to open up.



    The iMacs look great in person. That keyboard, both of them, are ridiculously cool.



    Apple's doing all right for itself these days.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "the sole of the home and student market" ??



    (Good thing he works for a company he can spell with only 3 letters.)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


    "the sole of the home and student market" ??



    (Good thing he works for a company he can spell with only 3 letters.)



    It could have been a gremlin that hits AI's computers too.



    Anyway, that's an interesting projection. I didn't notice that Apple sold the 1.76 million computers in the previous quarterly reports, so 2M is not outlandish.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Apple has finally started getting the attention of the "regular joe Windows user". There is a guy at my work, a self described "PC guy since birth" who saw the new iMac, and ordered one today.



    When talking with him about it a bit more, he said that he always thought that "Macs were toys and PCs were for 'real' users". Apparently Apple has managed to change his mind.



    1,999,999 to go....
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 318member
    At first, I thought 2 million was too optimistic. I forgot that they sold 1.76 Macs last quarter. Imagine if Leopard hadn't been delayed (or if Apple included a special couple for a cheap upgrade to Leopard for those buying before October).
  • Reply 10 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,852member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHatfield View Post


    Apple has finally started getting the attention of the "regular joe Windows user". There is a guy at my work, a self described "PC guy since birth" who saw the new iMac, and ordered one today.



    When talking with him about it a bit more, he said that he always thought that "Macs were toys and PCs were for 'real' users". Apparently Apple has managed to change his mind.



    1,999,999 to go....



    I've seen this happen time and again. Long-time PC users are getting the message.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    With Apple having announced its new iMac line on Tuesday, analysts for RBC Capital Markets say they're confident the company will ship a record 2 million Mac systems during the current quarter ending September.



    "Updated iMacs further affirm our outlook for stronger Mac/iPhone momentum [over the next two quarters], based on forecasts from RBC's Technology Adoption Panel, with 2.0 million Macs expected [during the current September quarter]," lead analyst Mike Abramsky told clients in a research note Wednesday.



    For Apple, such sales would represent a more than two-fold increase in fiscal fourth quarter Mac sales over the same period just three years ago. During the September quarter of 2004, the Cupertino-based firm managed to sell just over 800,000 systems, which pales in comparison its current momentum in the PC business.



    In speaking to clients, Abramsky said he expects the Mac maker's worldwide share of the personal computer market to rise from 2.4 percent to 3.3 percent by the end of next year, adding that each 0.25 percent of share increase would equate to approximately $700 million in additional quarterly revenue (or $0.11 per share).



    Combined with the ongoing iPhone publicity and its 'iPod with a Mac' promotion, the analyst contended that Apple's latest round of iMacs and consumer-oriented media software also signal a "strong push" against longtime rival Microsoft during the back-to-school buying season.



    "Apple's iMac update targets the sole of the home and student market, a key battleground for Microsoft switchers, and potential subsequent premium upgraders," he wrote.



    In his note to clients Wednesday, the RBC analyst also reported on his latest round of Apple and AT&T retail checks, which "suggests that iPhone demand/sales momentum remains steady."



    "We are reiterating our iPhone outlook for 13.4 million units [by the end of 2008]," he wrote.



    RBC Capital Markets also reiterated its Outperform rating and $175 price target on shares of Apple.



    This projection seems a bit high to me. i'm thinking about 25% less than that. Trust my gut on this one, i am quoted in the Wall Street Journal today afterall... HERE.



    Thunk Different

  • Reply 12 of 16
    [QUOTE=ThunkDifferent.com;1124478]Trust my gut on this one, i am quoted in the Wall Street Journal today afterall... HERE.



    What kind of gut might that be?



  • Reply 13 of 16
    jemsterjemster Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I could live with $175.



    At the moment I could live with $135... what is up with AAPL today... and yesterday... and the day before... ?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jemster View Post


    At the moment I could live with $135... what is up with AAPL today... and yesterday... and the day before... ?



    I guess no one got the memo saying "Apple to sell record 2 million Macs this quarter"...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiMac View Post


    I guess no one got the memo saying "Apple to sell record 2 million Macs this quarter"...



    It's been touched in another thread, Apple shares don't trade in a vacuum. Even if an unrelated market takes a big dip, Apple shares will often take a little dip.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It's been touched in another thread, Apple shares don't trade in a vacuum. Even if an unrelated market takes a big dip, Apple shares will often take a little dip.



    AAPL holders do visit rumor sites and sell/buy because of the things they read on them...
Sign In or Register to comment.