Real or Fake? You make the call "Dominican Republic, Haiti UFO Videos"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Mars probably can support life right now (and probably has it in some form or another)

What? Yes, there may be some microbes there, but it cannot sustain intelligent life. No water supply, or am I mistaken about that? Maybe drill some wells? With a barren surface, I doubt there is water underground. Mars had water at one time, but lost it all because of its low gravity. This is part of the fine tuning I was referring to earlier.

The molecular weight of water, methane and ammonia are close together. Earth's gravity is just right for keeping water, yet losing much of the methane and ammonia. Just a coincidence of course.

• Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

What? Yes, there may be some microbes there, but it cannot sustain intelligent life. No water supply, or am I mistaken about that? Maybe drill some wells? With a barren surface, I doubt there is water underground. Mars had water at one time, but lost it all because of its low gravity. This is part of the fine tuning I was referring to earlier.

Right, no way Mars cam support intelligent life. The larger point is that if it turns out that not only is it possible for other planets to harbor life in the universe, but also that our nearest neighbor does as well, it just really hits home that it's quite likely the known universe is littered with life. Statistically speaking, this would indicate there's probably a huge number of advanced civilizations.

Quote:

The molecular weight of water, methane and ammonia are close together. Earth's gravity is just right for keeping water, yet losing much of the methane and ammonia. Just a coincidence of course.

No coincidence. It's quite probably the deciding factor that has led to our rise as a species. There are two things that concern me about comments like this though.

1) We as a people tend to be so narrow-minded and self-centered that we think anything related to life on earth must somehow be unique to our planet simply because it's not the same to any of the 9, scratch that, 8 other planets in our solar system. This is old-world thinking.

2) We continue to operate with tunnel vision and seek out planets that are inherently earth-like, under the false pretense that all life in the universe must conform to the same set of conditions that gave rise to life as we know it.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

. . . But there again, why should a race of beings, presumably way in advance of mankind re. their civilization (given the ability to traverse space in a way that circumvents relativity as we know it).... have to be encumbered with such human traits as wanton hostility?

I have to say that I shot a snot rocket out of my nose from laughing. thank you. It's like you don't think humanity is worth the Earth's oxygen. There's an easy way to solve this on a personal level.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I saw what I saw and so did my friend. It was real, physical, tangible and unforgettable. Whenever we run into each other we both ask, "Seen any UFOs lately?"

Unfortunately, research shows that confidence about eye-witness accounts (studying mundane things like witnessing a crime, etc) and accuracy of observation are inversely related. Whatever you think you saw, I'm sure that it was compelling, but it was almost certainly mundane. The probability that it was a reflection/mirage, the moon, venus, etc (not knowing any details -- nor supposing that I could explain what you saw), is orders of magnitude more likely than even experimental aircraft.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:

There is a LOT of water on Mars. There is even more recent suggestion that there is liquid water on Mars.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I'm not sure why the UFO sightings are such a big deal. It's highly improbable that we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

I agree with Jared Diamond, given the sordid history of "advanced" civilizations meeting primitive ones on our planet, we had better hope that (as intelligent beings) we are "alone in a crowded universe."
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

There's no way of proving its a fake, unless examination of the videotape etc showed signs of tampering/editing post the shooting. Anyway, those craft could be modified Moller-like devices? There's no way of proving these sightings are "genuine" either.

If a "genuine" alien craft landed in the middle of the Superbowl (for a silly example), and "real" aliens emerged, all on TV, then took off again... it would be undoubtedly be regarded as an excellent fake... How could one prove otherwise, unless the "aliens" did something aggressive (a very human quality). But there again, why should a race of beings, presumably way in advance of mankind re. their civilization (given the ability to traverse space in a way that circumvents relativity as we know it).... have to be encumbered with such human traits as wanton hostility?

After travelling light-years to get to our planet, "aliens" are not going to be content to play Zaphod and do a little fly-by. They are going to initiate open contact, or they're going to flatten us: either way, we're going to _know_ when they're here. So, yes, every UFO sighting is completely mundane. This doesn't mean that there isn't some interesting things going on with respect to UFOs, but they aren't aliens.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

There is a LOT of water on Mars. There is even more recent suggestion that there is liquid water on Mars.

Thanks for that link: Underground ice kept from escaping the atmosphere. It wouldn't help complex life develop on Mars, however, but it could be used by a colony of humans from Earth going there.

The liquid water is obviously not enough to do much good, and it would not stay around very long. Mars is simply too small, not enough gravity.

• Reply 29 of 66
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

<tinfoil>Maybe we're going about this all wrong with this video in question. Maybe it is the Pentagon's next generation of weaponry from alien technology. And Haiti is just the rehearsal.</tinfoil>

The late Col. Corso said a few interesting things about that... but there again, with so much material of this nature, it's impossible to satisfactorily prove, or debunk...

Col. Corso claimed that some of the technology that filtered into modern society in the late 1940s and 1950s evolved from material recovered from the wreckage of the alleged Roswell craft (!). I have no idea what to make of that incident; it may be the most famous "UFO" event in the public awareness, but it's by no means the most convincing. I remain most skeptical... but it does make one wonder about what actually happened there, considering that the government/military has provided no less than 4 different versions of the "truth"...implying that at least 3 of them are untruthful (or guesswork).
  • Reply 30 of 66
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

People get so hung up on specifics, they miss out on seeing the whole thing. Take South America for example. Every year in South America thousands of people turn up missing. Nobody knows where they go. They just disappear. But if you think for a minute, realize something: there had to be a time when there was no people right? Well, where did all these people come from? I'll tell you where: the future. Where did all these people disappear to: the past. How did they get there? Flying saucers, which are really, yeah, you got it: time machines.

Quote:

After travelling light-years to get to our planet, "aliens" are not going to be content to play Zaphod and do a little fly-by. They are going to initiate open contact, or they're going to flatten us: either way, we're going to _know_ when they're here. So, yes, every UFO sighting is completely mundane. This doesn't mean that there isn't some interesting things going on with respect to UFOs, but they aren't aliens.

I see what you mean, but there have been so many public sightings, official investigations and sightings by military personnel that there must be some degree of truth to them. Whether it's aliens, or some type of 'Top Secret' earth technology remains to be seen.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:

Huh?

What does methane or ammonia have to do with the price of beans?

(and see what everyone else has said to your post)
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:

Huh?

What does methane or ammonia have to do with the price of beans?

An atmosphere of methane and ammonia does not support life. Look at planets heavier than Earth and see what their atmosphere is made up of. Earth's gravitational attraction is just right to release most of the methane and ammonia gases, yet retain water molecules.

Look up the molecular weights of these gases and you can see that the planet size must be just right for life to exist.

• Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

An atmosphere of methane and ammonia does not support life. Look at planets heavier than Earth and see what their atmosphere is made up of. Earth's gravitational attraction is just right to release most of the methane and ammonia gases, yet retain water molecules.

Look up the molecular weights of these gases and you can see that the planet size must be just right for life to exist.

Life as we know it.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

Bullshit.

You don't know jack shit. There was a time when people thought that life couldn't withstand subfreezing temperatures or superheated water, both of which we have seen on earth. There is nothing that currently suggests that ammonia and methane aren't conducive to life -- there are organisms that produce copious quantities of both and somehow they survive.

In other words, stop making shit up to support your view of a perfect universe, with one perfect planet. It is utterly and totally demonstrably false.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Unfortunately, research shows that confidence about eye-witness accounts (studying mundane things like witnessing a crime, etc) and accuracy of observation are inversely related. Whatever you think you saw, I'm sure that it was compelling, but it was almost certainly mundane. The probability that it was a reflection/mirage, the moon, venus, etc (not knowing any details -- nor supposing that I could explain what you saw), is orders of magnitude more likely than even experimental aircraft.

These are the retards you have to watch out for. I and my friend saw what we saw with binoculars that day. I think the problem is that you didn't. So shut the fuck up.

Or better yet, stare at this long enough and maybe you'll see Jesus...

• Reply 36 of 66
    or a smiley face.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:

You don't know jack shit. There was a time when people thought that life couldn't withstand subfreezing temperatures or superheated water, both of which we have seen on earth. There is nothing that currently suggests that ammonia and methane aren't conducive to life -- there are organisms that produce copious quantities of both and somehow they survive.

Errr! I thought this discussion was about intelligent life, high mammals, who might be responsible for the UFOs. I'm not aware that microbes are capable of such a feat.

• Reply 38 of 66
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:

Errr! I thought this discussion was about intelligent life, high mammals, who might be responsible for the UFOs. I'm not aware that microbes are capable of such a feat.

How about these little buggers...

Video.

Everybody has this misconception that aliens will look like Star Trek aliens (humans in green make-up, pointy ears, antennae and costumes). Who knows?

Obligatory Yvonne Craig pic...sigh...

• Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:

How is methane or ammonia NOT conducive to intelligent life, theoretically?
  • Reply 40 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

So any intelligent life out there must be mammalian? Interesting self-centric view there. Come on, the point that is being made is that we are consistently finding life forms that sit outside what we previously considered to be 'necessary for life'... and that's on *our own damned planet".

The idea that all life has to be based on the same mechanisms as ours is laughable. If there are methane-philiac microbes (and there are), then there's no reason why there can't be higher lifeforms in the same range as well. To think otherwise is just amazingly limited.