iMac: Glossy or Matte - Which Would You Prefer?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently ordered a 24" iMac with a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo Extreme chip. It was scheduled to ship soon, but I will be canceling my order. Today I visited an Apple store and looked at the screen. My eyes were literally hurting and I was beginning to get a headache after spending only 15 minutes on the computer. Given that I spend nearly 3-4 hours/day on my iMac, it would create a major problem to have a glossy screen with so much glare.

For the current and potential iMac or Cinema Display buyers, which do you prefer? Glossy or matte? If Apple updates the Cinema Display lineup, do you want to see glossy displays offered?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    I'm sure there are more than 16 people who have an opinion of glossy v matte.

C'mon guys, let's hear which you prefer. Apple thinks we like glossy displays and I'm curious to see if everyone here agrees.
  • Reply 2 of 126
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I'm sure there are more than 16 people who have an opinion of glossy v matte.

C'mon guys, let's hear which you prefer. Apple thinks we like glossy displays and I'm curious to see if everyone here agrees.

I hate to state obvious, but most of the people here aren't where Apple gets the majority or their customers from.

I prefer glossy, but Apple should just get over themselves and offer a CTO matte version.
  • Reply 3 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm pretty sure glossy screens cause eyeball cancer. By the time all you glossy fans realize your folly, it will far, far too late.
  • Reply 4 of 126
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    well i've got a "glossy" macbook and haven't had any problems with glare...
  • Reply 5 of 126
    regreg Posts: 832member
    For laptops I like Matte. All others I prefer glossy.
  • Reply 6 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I recently ordered a 24" iMac with a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo Extreme chip. It was scheduled to ship soon, but I will be canceling my order. Today I visited an Apple store and looked at the screen. My eyes were literally hurting and I was beginning to get a headache after spending only 15 minutes on the computer. Given that I spend nearly 3-4 hours/day on my iMac, it would create a major problem to have a glossy screen with so much glare.

For the current and potential iMac or Cinema Display buyers, which do you prefer? Glossy or matte? If Apple updates the Cinema Display lineup, do you want to see glossy displays offered?

This whole glossy glare issue has been WAY overblown in my opinion. Perhaps there is a problem in the stores or in classrooms but in my living room there is zero problem with glare. ZERO. My 20in iMac sitting beside my G4 iMac made me wonder how in the heck I put up with the dull matte screen for so long.

I can now say that I prefer glossy.
  • Reply 7 of 126
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I just got a new 2.16GHz MBP with a matte screen. I like both glossy and matte but I'm glad I got the matte.
  • Reply 8 of 126
    Glossy- Vibrant colours make me happy.
  • Reply 9 of 126
    While I certainly prefer the matte screens for color accuracy and overall picture, this "headache" business is crap... Anyone who complains about getting headaches from a glossy screen must have never used any desktop computer in the last 25 years... these people are just whining on these forums to fit in or something. Side by side, previous iMac to new iMac, the new screen is richer, sharper and brighter... A matte version would look very nice but is not necessary in a desktop computer. You won't get headaches when you get it home and get over your whiney self.
  • Reply 10 of 126
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure glossy screens cause eyeball cancer. By the time all you glossy fans realize your folly, it will far, far too late.

Well the CRT televisions we've been watching for 70 years and CRT computer screens before matte LCD screens were essentially glossy.

Quote:

My eyes were literally hurting and I was beginning to get a headache after spending only 15 minutes on the computer.

This is overblown. You have watched glossy screens long before anyone complained about them.
  • Reply 11 of 126
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Before using the iMac my preference would have been for a matte screen, but having purchased one, and used it all week, I can now safely say that I prefer the glossy screen.

I was worried about reflections, but the screen is so bright and clear that it drowns out any reflections.
  • Reply 12 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well the CRT televisions we've been watching for 70 years and CRT computer screens before matte LCD screens were essentially glossy.

This is overblown. You have watched glossy screens long before anyone complained about them.

No it's not overblown. CRT's gave me a headache when staring at them for a long time, and in fact, I placed anti-glare filters on the CRT's that I've owned. CRT's were not as glossy as the current iMacs.

The headache was from the glare, and it's likely from the bright glare that is caused by the super lit Apple showroom.

It is well known that glare causes eye strain and headaches. Just ask any ophthalmologist.
  • Reply 13 of 126
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It is well known that glare causes eye strain and headaches. Just ask any ophthalmologist.

No I've never heard of glare causing headaches.
  • Reply 14 of 126
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

It is usually the programs I have to watch that cause the headaches...
  • Reply 15 of 126
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I also saw the iMacs at an Apple store, and there wasn't much glare. There was some glare when using the computer standing up, as would be expected at an Apple store, but if you adjust the screen and kneel-down to a more common computer usage position, no glare.

So, I prefer glossy. The glass is coated with anti-reflective coating, and affords a sharper, more vibrant picture.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    Quote:

You should ask a physician, and if you are one, you should do a PubMed search.
  • Reply 17 of 126
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arantxa View Post

Glossy- Vibrant colours make me happy.

This is what I don't understand, how does placing a glossy surface over the same underlying LCD make the colors more vibrant?
  • Reply 18 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

The CRT television I've been watching for 70 years is beat to shit.
  • Reply 19 of 126
    Quote:

Honestly, I am glad that people don't have issues with the glossy screen, it is beautiful, but for people like me who have glasses (and having to try harder to see around/through glare and reflections) it can cause headaches and eye strain. I may be in the extreme minority, but at least you have one example!

My verdict, the glossy iMac has beautiful screen and I don't fault Apple's choice, I just wish they had a matte option for us matte lovers.
  • Reply 20 of 126
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

Yea I have the same CRT and I always have to turn the end table lamps off so I can seen the screen and not look at reflection of a lamp.