John Lennon's solo catalog makes its debut on iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said Tuesday that the solo catalog of former Beatles frontman John Lennon is now available for purchase and download via its ubiquitous iTunes Store.

The move comes nearly two years after the Lennon's solo work was made available for download from several rival services, such as Real/Rhapsody, Napster, MSN and Yahoo! Unlimited.

Starting Tuesday, sixteen of Lennon's solo works from EMI Music are available for the first time on iTunes, with the "Lennon Legend" and "Acoustic" collections making their worldwide digital debuts.

For a limited period of 30 days, exclusive video content will be included with the albums "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band," "Sometime in New York City," "Walls and Bridges," "Milk and Honey" and the collections "Anthology" and "Working Class Hero."

"John would have loved the fact that his music will now be available in a format suited to a new generation of listeners," said Yoko Ono, Lennon's widow.

As part of EMI Music?s digital catalog, Lennon's solo works will also be available in iTunes Plus, offering DRM-free music tracks with high quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio quality virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings?for just $1.29 per song.

"John Lennon is one of the greatest artists of our time," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We?re thrilled to have his solo catalog available on the iTunes Store for the first time."

Apple's iTunes Store currently features the world?s largest catalog with over five million songs, 550 television shows and over 500 movies. To date its combined to sell over three billion songs, 50 million TV shows and over two million movies.

Olivia Harrison, the widow of Beatle's guitarist George Harrison, recently told Reuters to expect the entire music catalogs of the Beatles to turn up on music stores like Apple iTunes later this year or early next.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    lol at yoko quote.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Thanx Yoko.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Mod Edit: Whoa, man. You need to seriously chill out. I'm not a fan of Yoko either, but... damn. Family friendly board and all that.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    why is iTunes consistently prefaced by "ubiquitous" in AI articles? Especially when the article is about something other than its (supposed) ubiquity, like adding content? It would be like saying, some new pollution from Newark entered the Earth's ubiquitous atmosphere yesterday. Just seems a bit... extraneous, no?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    "Working Class Hero" is the only John Lennon solo collection you'll ever need.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Where is "The Plastic Ono Band, Live in Toronto"?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    And who the hell are you, and why does anyone care what you think with your feeble brain? Keep your name-calling to yourself, loser.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    She is completly devoide of any talent and will go down in history as the BIGGEST gold digger ever.

I mean, did you read her quote?!??!? She's a complete idiot!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

She is completly devoide of any talent and will go down in history as the BIGGEST gold digger ever.

John loved her and that is good enough for me.

Please give us a quote in Japanese, so AI's Japanese speakers

can evaluate your intelligence.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the "Lennon Legend" and "Acoustic" collections making their worldwide digital debuts.

one would think those albums had their "worldwide digital debuts" when they came out on CD.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    kevdokevdo Posts: 9member
    There's something seriously wrong with the pricing of Working Class Hero. This 2 CD compilation is packaged with a music video but is $27.99! That's several dollars more than the list price at Amazon.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great collection, but the price should be around $20, not close to $30.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Actually, ignoring Yoko for a moment, when I read the quote I thought "Yeah, John would want his music in every format available."

Now maybe not, I never met the guy, but that's my impression.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevdo View Post

There's something seriously wrong with the pricing of Working Class Hero. This 2 CD compilation is packaged with a music video but is $27.99! That's several dollars more than the list price at Amazon.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great collection, but the price should be around $20, not close to $30.

No kidding! I paid $13.99 for mine on CD when it was released.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Imagine all the people

Listening to their iPods

No need for CDs

Or DVDs to

Imagine all the people

With their iPhones hand in hand

No buttons to press

And no stylus to

Imagine all the people

I wonder if you can
  • Reply 15 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Harrison FTW.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Where are Yoko's songs?

Quote:

No!!

Let me take my scarf off,

No, no, no, yes, yes, yes.

Don't help me, (help me)

I can do it and you know it.

Don't touch me, (touch me)

I don't like it.

Let me take my blouse off,

No, no, no, yes, yes, yes.

Don't help me, (help me)

I can do it and you know it.

Don't touch me, (touch me)

I don't like it.

You promised me, you promised me,

You promised me, you promised me.

I don't remember what you promised,

I know you didn't keep it.

• Reply 17 of 18
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Good for the fans... John Lennon is not my generation.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Imagine all the people

Listening to their iPods

No need for CDs

Or DVDs to

Imagine all the people

With their iPhones hand in hand

No buttons to press

And no stylus to

Imagine all the people