Apple's Jobs among 2007 California Hall of Fame inductees

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs and two-time Academy Award-winning actress Elizabeth Taylor are among this year's inductees into the California Hall of Fame, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger announced this week.

The California Hall of Fame, a landmark destination of The California Museum for History, recognizes extraordinary Californians who embody the State's innovative spirit and have made their mark on history.

"California is home to hopes and dreams for so many, and it is the people of this state who truly make it great," said Schwarzenegger. "The California Hall of Fame provides a wonderful opportunity to honor these leaders, and legends, whose imprints are stamped forever on our history and our lives. I want people of every age to be inspired by the stories of Californians who have shaped and continue to shape this state and the world."

Jobs, who will be inducted as as an "innovator, entrepreneur and creative genius," will be joined by several other inductees, including Tayler, photographer Ansel Adams, "Mr Television" Milton Berle, baseball great Willie Mays, winemaker Robert Mondavi, latin performer Rita Moreno, first African-American baseball player Jackie Robinson, and polio vaccine creater Dr. Jonas Salk.

Other 2007 inductees include Pulitzer and Nobel Prize-winning author John Steinbeck, Chief Justice Earl Warren, Academy Award-winning actor John Wayne, and professional golf phenomenon Tiger Woods.

The induction event will be held on December 5, and include a formal state induction ceremony, the presentation of medals by the Governor and First Lady, followed by a celebration reception and the unveiling of the new exhibit installation.

Jobs, along with all living inductees, are scheduled to appear at the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Good for him.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs, who will be inducted as as an "innovator, entrepreneur and creative genius," will be joined by several other inductees, including Tayler, photograph Ansel Adams, "Mr Television" Milton Berle, baseball great Willie Mays, winemaker Robert Mondavi, latin performer Rita Moreno, first African-American baseball player Jackie Robinson, and polio vaccine creater Dr. Jonas Salk.

They're inducting a photograph of Ansel Adams? And who's "Tayler"? Someone should have proofread one more time before posting . . .

(I don't mean spell-check. I mean proofread. There's a huge difference.)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

They're inducting a photograph of Ansel Adams? And who's "Tayler"? Someone should have proofread one more time before posting . . .

(I don't mean spell-check. I mean proofread. There's a huge difference.)

That's what I was about to say!! 'Cause they never proofread. I hate that.

Also, what's with "multiracial" phenomenon Tiger Woods? Did you write that yourself? If so, why include it? So what?

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 4 of 12
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

"California is home to hopes and dreams for so many, and it is the people of this state who truly make it great,"

Way to say nothing at all.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Also, what's with "multiracial" phenomenon Tiger Woods? Did you write that yourself? If so, why include it? So what?

-=|Mgkwho

For the record, that was a direct quote from the Press Release, though we've now changed it.

Best,

K
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

-=|Mgkwho

And what is wrong with multiracial?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

For the record, that was a direct quote from the Press Release, though we've now changed it.

Best,

K

Kasper, thanks for the explanation. I had a half-suspicion of that ilk, so I made sure to

state that "someone" needed to proofread, not specifically pointing my virtual finger at the

fine staff of AI.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

-=|Mgkwho

And what is wrong with multiracial?

Actually, I would like to rescind that question. As a multiracial person, i.e., Chinese father, German/Polish (and Jewish) mother, I have over the years had to endure racial slurs. However, my father taught us that 'sticks and stones may break your bones, but names can never hurt you.' However, that did not prevent the occasional altercation, which, I am proud to say ended in victory over my opponents (except for the time an 'older, bigger' sister got into the act), but a swift kick in the butt from dad (old school).

I did learn to be proud of my heritage and delightfully declared so. However, I too (like Tiger*) do take some exception to others that may introduce me as such. And I would also concur with your question, "why include it?" Except, however, only if the reference to baseball player Jackie Robinson excluded his 'African-American' title.

Interesting that Willie Mays was not so priveleged. Ah, the wonder of it all.

*MEDIA STATEMENT: The purpose of this statement is to explain my heritage for the benefit of members of the media who may be seeing me play for the first time. It is the final and only comment I will make regarding the issue. My parents have taught me to always be proud of my ethnic background. Please rest assured that is, and always will be, the case - past, present, and future. The media has portrayed me as African-America; sometimes, Asian. In fact, I am both. Yes, I am the product of two great cultures, one African-American and the other Asian. On my father's side, I am African-American. On my mother's side, I am Thai. Truthfully, I feel very fortunate, and EQUALLY PROUD, to be both African-American and Asian! The critical and fundamental point is that ethnic background and/or composition should NOT make a difference. It does NOT make a difference to me. The bottom line is that I am an American...and proud of it! That is who I am and what I am. Now, with your cooperation, I hope I can just be a golfer and a human being. TIGER WOODS http://www.rjgeib.com/heroes/tiger/tiger.html
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Please tell me that Woz is a past inductee? I fear it's likely not the case, but should be.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Way to say nothing at all.

True, but it is the way that he says it.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Penti View Post

Please tell me that Woz is a past inductee? I fear it's likely not the case, but should be.

While Steve is getting inducted into the California Hall of Fame, Woz will be playing 2 on 2 Segway polo with Kathy Griffin, Carrot-top and Pauley Shore.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    It shouldn't read "Jobs... are scheduled to appear." but rather: "Jobs... _is_ scheduled to appear." Poor verb agreement with subject.

And my two cents on the "multi-racial phenomenon Tiger Woods" verbiage:

As written, it appears he's famous because he's multi-racial. Could have been more descriptively written as "multi-racial golf phenomenon Tiger Woods." Which is still poor writing, because he didn't exactly overcome any societal barriers to be accepted by the golfing community. He wasn't shunned by the sport as was Arthur Ashe in tennis or Jackie Robinson in baseball. He's just damn good at it, and got that way at a very young age.

Without such clarification as to what makes him a phenom, sports-ignorant people might think, "hmmm... that guy "Tiger" must be the guy who invented Mac OS 10.4."