New wired aluminum keyboard - USB issue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you. How about this... if anyone out there HAS a flash drive (2-4 GB) that works on the new keyboard with an old iMac... let me know what model it is so I can buy one. Bottom line is... I find it pretty crazy that a tiny little memory chip is considered a "High Power" device. And Apple is guilty (on the store page at least) of false advertising.

I'm not sure if anyone answered your follow up question about a flash drive that will work. I too have an iMac G5, and purchased the new wired aluminum keyboard in August. I have an Imation 2GB flash drive (bought it at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Drive-Ca...8938563&sr=8-1)

It has worked flawlessly for me. So, give it a try. Good luck.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    My Sandisk Cruzer Titanium has worked without problems when I connect it to the aluminum keyboard connected to my 1.8 GHz iMac G5.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

My Sandisk Cruzer Titanium has worked without problems when I connect it to the aluminum keyboard connected to my 1.8 GHz iMac G5.

Really?!?!?! Wow. I also have a 1.8 GHz iMac G5 and my flash drive is basically the same exact drive... but it's the plastic version instead of the Titanium version. Crazy!!!! Mine is the Sandisk Cruzer Mirco... 4GB. Man... I'm not at all pleased. I kept the keyboard BTW... because it's so nice... but it would have been handy to be able to use my flash drive with my keyboard ports.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Really?!?!?! Wow. I also have a 1.8 GHz iMac G5 and my flash drive is basically the same exact drive... but it's the plastic version instead of the Titanium version. Crazy!!!! Mine is the Sandisk Cruzer Mirco... 4GB. Man... I'm not at all pleased. I kept the keyboard BTW... because it's so nice... but it would have been handy to be able to use my flash drive with my keyboard ports.

Ok... guess what!!!! Replying to my own post here... but as per a suggestion above... I took out the extension cable that came with my keyboard and tried hooking it up to my powered USB HUB (which is hidden down in a desk drawer)... and the drive works!!!!! That's an old hub tho'... it's a USB 1.0 hub... so I'd get slow transfers... but I should probably upgrade to a 2.0 hub anyway. Currently... I have to try to keep the few ports on the back of my computer free for things like my flash drive and digital camera... which run at 2.0 speed. Having a new hub will give me more options. 2.0 hubs just were not available when I bought this hub a few years ago.

Anyway... very very cool!!!!!! Thanks for all the input folks.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    I take it all back. FYI... I just bought a 7 port powered USB 2.0 hub... and with the keyboard plugged into the hub... I'm back to getting the "high powered device" message when I try to plug my 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro into the keyboard. I got no such warning with the keyboard plugged into a USB 1.1 hub... but that didn't really help since 1.1 would kill my transfer speed. This is on a 1.8 Ghz G5 iMac BTW. Bottom line... with my flash drive anyway... you're out of luck unless you have an aluminum iMac. Shitty.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-M9757G-i...9650197&sr=8-9

I bought one of these for my 1Gen Shuffle. In all honesty it gets used more for connecting a small USB SD card reader. It matches the iMac G4 (and would any white iMac) nicely and presents a convient USB port on the desk.