Apple confirms "Special Event" on September 5th

Comments

• Reply 102 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swaltuo View Post

All I know is that I'm excited!! The last two Apple products to be introduced or given a new look (the iPhone and the iMac) have both lived up with expectations. Now it is time for Apple to take a huge leap forward and update the item that jump started a revolution and put their company back on the map. Like I said all i know is I'm excited and the beat goes on!!

I am so hoping that Steve is going to announce so much more than the newer look for the iPods. Since the EVENT is at Moscone and not at Apple HQ, there must be something bigger!!
  • Reply 103 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swaltuo View Post

All I know is that I'm excited!! The last two Apple products to be introduced or given a new look (the iPhone and the iMac) have both lived up with expectations. Now it is time for Apple to take a huge leap forward and update the item that jump started a revolution and put their company back on the map. Like I said all i know is I'm excited and the beat goes on!!

I am so hoping that Steve is going to announce so much more than the newer look for the iPods. Since the EVENT is at Moscone and not at Apple HQ where it was the new iMacs and iLife, there must be something bigger!!

I want to see a new MacPro.
  • Reply 104 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

I am so hoping that Steve is going to announce so much more than the newer look for the iPods. Since the EVENT is at Moscone and not at Apple HQ, there must be something bigger!!

iPhone Nano anyone?
  • Reply 105 of 134
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    is this the kick off of the holiday season offerings or will they wait??? i think it's bit earlly for christmas stuff, but i'm not a retailer. if it is , then i would think the christmas line up of many products will be announced
  • Reply 106 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

is this the kick off of the holiday season offerings or will they wait??? i think it's bit earlly for christmas stuff, but i'm not a retailer. if it is , then i would think the christmas line up of many products will be announced

Now is probably a good time. That way they spread out the demand over a couple more months. If the demand was spread over fewer months, they might not be able to ramp up production quickly enough. The people that buy (seemingly) every new iPod or the ones that have been waiting for an update can get one soon. The Holiday shoppers will probably wait until November. The earlier announcement allows Apple to promote it enough to get people wanting it, especially the kids that might not have their own money to spend like this, but might be getting a bigger gift for their holiday gift. All this is my understanding of how/why Apple announces late summer / early fall, the real reasons may be a little different.
  • Reply 107 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OS X Guy View Post

iPhone Nano anyone?

I guess that's a possibility.

I still think the stubby iPod will be positioned as a replacement to the normal iPod (thinner, flash, shorter, longer battery life, same price), since a widescreen iPod Video has to cost signifcantly more.

Which leaves the old nano. We know stock levels are low - so what will replace it? It could be nothing (not a good move Apple!), or just another Nano (half an inch shorter?) - but a tiny phone is also possible I guess.
  • Reply 108 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

While the iPod is the main attraction there are other products and services that are related which could get mentioned and they are:
    • iPod Hi-Fi - I can see this getting wireless capabilities so we can stream music to it without needing an AirPort Express.

• iTunes - It could get an upgrade to handle new functionality that could be major enough to bump it to 8.0.

• iTunes Store - Movie/TV show sales to non-US stores and movie rentals (not likely)

• Apple TV - Updates to support iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store improvements.

• iPhone - functionality could be added to match what the iPod gets.

• AirPort Express - This could get updated with 802.11n and support for the iPod AV Connection Kit.

All good points and valid possibilities. Lets hope.

There are also possibilities of redefining how iPods & AppleTV handle their music & sync etc. Perhaps the AppleTV wouldn't need a computer for its master library? (either independent, or use an online master library?). Could an iPod sync with an AppleTV? Maybe .Mac will let you sync your iTunes libraries between computers?
  • Reply 109 of 134
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't get it.. what's an iPod?
  • Reply 110 of 134
    __mo__mo Posts: 32member
    major overhaul of logic, opening gambit of 'logic studio' perhaps.
  • Reply 111 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by __mø View Post

That's almost certainly not going to happen for Sept 5. A Logic update would most likely coincide with some big pro audio convention, such as NAMM. An Apple Special Event without a coinciding convention is almost always about a consumer product, and the invitation usually hints at what kind of product will be announced.
  • Reply 112 of 134
    __mo__mo Posts: 32member
    ah NAMM is in january right? yeah that would make more sense. but there is also the AES convention in october somewhere i think, which i believe apple have a pro audio stall at...
  • Reply 113 of 134
    hi

what about? a sort of Mac ipod 'palm pilot' for choice of better words. iphone without the phone, but ipod, wifi calendar, safari etc

Possible?\\

although a macbook pro 12 inch would be ideal!
  • Reply 114 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scharf_10 View Post

I've never actually wanted this to happen before, but I'd rather this was delayed for a bit because im off to New York on October 1st, where I would save money on the new ipod (assuming it is released) and have it before anyone else here no doubt. But I know that i'll be too tempted to buy it here the day its available online. I can afford it quite easily, just prefer to buy it in New York. Never mind.

I will also be in NYC then. Where do you find cheaper prices there? I thought Apple products cost the same everywhere.
  • Reply 115 of 134
    I would like to see Apple introduce an iLife Home Server app that holds the iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie Libraries. I also would like it to hold Garageband sample libraries. That way my wife, kids, and I can all access these libraries quickly and easily.

I already have a XServe and XServe RAID up on my home LAN so I could roll it out quickly and easily. For those who do not already have something like this, Apple should introduce a repackaged XServe line as a iLife Home Server line.

Apple should also work hard to make some sort of good backup system for this iLife Home Server Line. It is not just big companies that have big storage backup needs. Now even most families need TBs of backup for all their digital media. FW drives may do for now but I think we need something more robust and cheaper.
  • Reply 116 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by __mø View Post

*sigh* logic (mind my pun!) dictates this has to come ONE of these days. i have, however, realised that waiting for it can only be a frustrating venture
  • Reply 117 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

*sigh* logic (mind my pun!) dictates this has to come ONE of these days.

I have my doubts that this event will do anything regarding Logic, Aperture, FCP, etc.

Then again... we know very little.. the invite implies consumer music/tv centric doesnt it?
  • Reply 118 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't get it.. what's an iPod?

Oh, iReland!
  • Reply 119 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gener View Post

I will also be in NYC then. Where do you find cheaper prices there? I thought Apple products cost the same everywhere.

It's because I'm from the UK, where obviously it's cheaper to buy from the US once you've converted the dollar. Sorry, should have made that more clear.

Thanks.
  • Reply 120 of 134
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, iReland!

Oh you.. yes, you Spam