A True Desktop Class Mac, or another Cube?

1272829303133»

Comments

• Reply 641 of 649
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

I totally agree that the happiest Vista customers are Mac users, I'm one of them

I installed Vista in under half and hour and had the internet, sound and everything working with ease. I installed it for two reasons:

*I wanted to play Halo on my Mac

*I wanted to learn Vista (I'm an I.T. guy)

I enjoy Vista, but... Nothing beats an Apple.

On the other hand - I just posted this under Applications:

After Upgrades, Vista Eats XP's Dust

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/A...ust-60491.html
  • Reply 642 of 649
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

On the other hand - I just posted this under Applications:

After Upgrades, Vista Eats XP's Dust

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/A...ust-60491.html

Hhmmm, if I can afford an SP3 disc when it comes out, then I'll try it.
  • Reply 643 of 649
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

Hhmmm, if I can afford an SP3 disc when it comes out, then I'll try it.

Some universities have a blanket deal with Microsoft, and the libraries have Microsoft discs that they lend to students, staff, and professors for one day. However, they are usually a version behind. You might try calling your library and find out their software policy. IF you can get a copy of whatever they have, maybe you could download SP3.
  • Reply 644 of 649
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The only real value the Mini has is its size, and the fact that it runs OSX - it terms of actually hardware, it's poor, as it uses slower laptop parts, a non-standard ITX-like board, and charges a silly premium for BTO options, not to mention updating the Intel Mini's are a pain, you basically have to dismantle the entire unit, down to the mobo to replace the RAM.

Apple should either update the Mini with a decent lower-end GPU, or drop the price to $400/500. I guess I could see the value in packaging OSX+iLife, but I think they could still do better.

I agree that the implementation isn't as good as it could be but the concept is great. The Mini *should* have been another cube with a 3.5" drive or two and a decent graphics card and desktop parts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee

IMO the mini is the easiest comp I've ever upgraded and the easiest to work with, plus eveything but the GPU and Mobo are upgradable.

It took me 10 minutes to take the mini apart, put a pair of 1GB mem's in there and put it back together. Taking pictures along the way too

And, you only need to take five screws out to completely take everything out of the mini's case. (I did it )

I wouldn't say the easiest by a long way. Two putty knives to open it is retarded from the outset. Then unhook the airport chip and the temperature sensor at the front, take out the 4 screws and then gently flip the optical drive and hard drive over the back of the Mini.

I was not pleased with that design at all. I don't know why they couldn't have simply put two screws at the bottom and a hinge at the back of the base. Then once the two screws are out, you could just fold it in half to get into the Ram. Then just close it back up to put it together again.

But besides that modification, it's still just too small. There's absolutely no room in there for any expansion so a bigger case is a must.
  • Reply 645 of 649
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I was not pleased with that design at all. I don't know why they couldn't have simply put two screws at the bottom and a hinge at the back of the base. Then once the two screws are out, you could just fold it in half to get into the Ram. Then just close it back up to put it together again.

That's easy... then they couldn't charge you that $350 premium per 2gb of ram.
  • Reply 646 of 649
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

That's easy... then they couldn't charge you that $350 premium per 2gb of ram.

Why not? It's not like they don't charge an arm and a leg for RAM already. That's why only extremely unintelligent buy more than the minimum amount of RAM in a Mac.
  • Reply 647 of 649
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Because more and more users would do it themselves instead of letting apple do it.
  • Reply 648 of 649
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Because more and more users would do it themselves instead of letting apple do it.

Exactly!