Apple issues iPhoto, AirPort Extreme software updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple over the course of the past 24 hours has released two small software updates -- one targeting that latest version of its iPhoto application and a second aimed at its 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station.

iPhoto 7.0.2

Released late Tuesday, iPhoto 7.0.2 [8.8MB] addresses issues associated with publishing to .Mac Web Gallery, rebuilding thumbnails, and editing books.

The update also addresses a number of other minor issues, Apple said.

AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n Firmware 7.2.1

On Wednesday, Apple released AirPort Extreme Base Station 802.11n Firmware 7.2.1 [4.6MB], which is certified for the 802.11n draft 2.0 specification. It also includes bug fixes and security updates.

Specifically, the update patches a glitch that could leave the routers vulnerable to remote attackers who wish to adversely affect network performance.

"A design issue exists in the IPv6 protocol's handling of type 0 routing headers," Apple said. "Depending on network topology and capacity, the reception of specially crafted IPv6 packets may lead to a reduction in network bandwidth.

The issue, which does not affect the Gigabit Ethernet version of AirPort Extreme Base Station, was addressed by disabling the support for type 0 routing headers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    This is exactly what I was hoping for on Wednesday's event!! Now I have no idea what is coming...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhoto 7.0.2

Released late Tuesday, iPhoto 7.0.2 [8.8MB] addresses issues associated with publishing to .Mac Web Gallery, rebuilding thumbnails, and editing books.

The update also addresses a number of other minor issues, Apple said.

What Apple didn't say is that iPhoto upgrade removes the Exporter plugins i had install (Picasaweb and facebook). And even after reinstalling them, they don't show up in the export dialog. So I guess this version requires a plugin rewrite somewhere ...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Is this a Macintel-only update?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Warning!

I have a WDS network. After installing the upgrade, my WDS devices found each other, but I lost connection to the internet. No amount of fiddling fixed this (including turning the SNMP "fix" Apple included on and off). I had to recreate my whole network from scratch, which took an hour.

My bad for not backing up first, but.... Back up your Airport config before using this release.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Ditto on the warning. One of my 2 AEs completly crashed and required a hard reset and reconfiguration to get back online - wasted an hour.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well, it all went fine here. But I'm only on a simple network based entirely on a single 11.n AirPort Extreme.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aswitcher View Post

Ditto on the warning. One of my 2 AEs completly crashed and required a hard reset and reconfiguration to get back online - wasted an hour.

mine are both working flawlessly after the upgrade. settings are intact. I updated while connected through wi-fi, which updated one fine and the other gave an error (main) but then I connected through ethernet and it updated fine. I expected this, however.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    another warning on the airport update here!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I have the slightly older Airport Extreme (N) Fast Ethernet base station and spent an hour trying to get back online. I finally had to do a hard reboot and start my network over from scratch. It was the first time that a firmware update hasn't worked smoothly. Hopefully Apple fixes this in soon.