iPhone price drop!!!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
From the keynote text feed at http://live.gizmodo.com/

But, Steve says they want to get even MORE aggressive. What does this mean? iPhone will be even MORE affordable, so they’re dropping the price of the 8GB model to $399. Two hundred dollar price drop.

Holy Cow!!

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I say the last 2 1/2 months of me using it have been worth $200. So Im not that mad.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

I say the last 2 1/2 months of me using it have been worth $200. So Im not that mad.

Anyone wanna dare to predict what this will do for iPhone sales?!!?

At $399 for 8GB I'm going to imagine quite a few more people will be tempted...

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I just bought mine 2 weeks ago. Should I return it, take the hit on the opened item and then repurchase it for $399?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

From the keynote text feed at http://live.gizmodo.com/

But, Steve says they want to get even MORE aggressive. What does this mean? iPhone will be even MORE affordable, so they?re dropping the price of the 8GB model to $399. Two hundred dollar price drop.

Holy Cow!!

Dave

Extraordinary.. and stock price gets hammered right after the news broke. Analysts no liking that their models will now have to adjust fro significantly reduced margins. It's fallen $3 since the news broke.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post

I just bought mine 2 weeks ago. Should I return it, take the hit on the opened item and then repurchase it for $399?

Pretty sure you have up to 30 days to return it open box without a penalty
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Extraordinary.. and stock price gets hammered right after the news broke. Analysts no liking that their models will now have to adjust fro significantly reduced margins. It's fallen $3 since the news broke.

Apple's doing the right thing, they need to eat their lunch before someone else does. This will help to roll out both the new iPods and the iPhone much quicker than before, and keep their projected sales. Brilliant, Steve.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Pretty sure you have up to 30 days to return it open box without a penalty

I thought my receipt said that there is a 10% restocking fee, but I don't have it in front of me. To prevent the hassle Apple should just give me $100, I'll keep the Iphone I have now and we'll call it a day. But since they are not going to do this I have to return the phone, and repurchase a new one. Anyone have any idea on the logistics of discontinuing my phone service on my first Iphone and starting it again. I hope this isn't difficult.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post

I thought my receipt said that there is a 10% restocking fee, but I don't have it in front of me. To prevent the hassle Apple should just give me $100, I'll keep the Iphone I have now and we'll call it a day. But since they are not going to do this I have to return the phone, and repurchase a new one. Anyone have any idea on the logistics of discontinuing my phone service on my first Iphone and starting it again. I hope this isn't difficult.

yeah, 10% after 30 days
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

yeah, 10% after 30 days

Nope, it's 10% within 30 days. After that you can't return it. And I thought it was 14 days?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

Nope, it's 10% within 30 days. After that you can't return it. And I thought it was 14 days?

If you bought it at a US Apple store, you have 14 days to return your purchase. If you've opened the box, you'll pay a 10% restocking fee. Apple also has a price protection policy. They just dropped the price on the 8GB iPhone 33% so obviously the 10% you pay will be negated by the extra 23% you'll receive.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Anyone wanna dare to predict what this will do for iPhone sales?!!?

At $399 for 8GB I'm going to imagine quite a few more people will be tempted...

Dave

I don't think it will do that much. The 4GB version was $499. Dropping the price $100 won't attract that many customers. For us power users, the extra 4GB in the 8GB version means a lot. However, for the average consumer, most weren't holding out for 8GB versions.

I think many are holding out for 3G and GPS to be integrated into the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    By the way, I foresee yet another class action lawsuit. If there are 3 class action suits for the battery replacement issue, I can only imagine how many there will be over the price drop.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I'm glad they dropped the price, I know from stories prior to launch they were making a huge profit per unit. Even still more power to them, I still would have been willing to buy one at the old price if they were doing more to work on the issues.

It's a great phone, don't get me wrong, I still lust after it. but come on a smart phone? It doesn't have voice dialing and A2DP, I can find those features on many free with contract "dumb" phones. It doesn't have adequate support for corporate mail. It has a browser that gives you the real internet on your phone, except sites are having to code iPhone specific copies of their content because the real internet on your phone isn't. It's IE3 all over again. Really though, the sad thing is all of those and most of the other popular complaints people have are all software and their hasn't been a fix for them nor a roadmap from Apple when fixes can be expected. Sure, there are some hardware things I'd like to see the iPhone have like GPS mainly, and 3g minorly, but really when I boil it down, I haven't bought this phone I lust after because it doesn't have hands-free voice dialing. The rest I could sit patiently and wait for an update I can only wish will come. It's just that one petty thing, and it doesn't really matter if the iPhone is $599 or $99.

I sincerely hope Apple really ramps up the patches and fix some of it's glaring issues. Never mind the impact on Christmas sales, they have non-domestic launches to think about. We Americans are conditioned to happily accept obviously flawed products and services from the cell phone industry. I don't think folks in some other major markets will be as blindly forgiving as we are.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Baaaahahahahahaha!!!!

Sorry, I just had to laugh.

• Reply 15 of 29
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I don't think it will do that much. The 4GB version was $499. Dropping the price $100 won't attract that many customers. For us power users, the extra 4GB in the 8GB version means a lot. However, for the average consumer, most weren't holding out for 8GB versions.

I think many are holding out for 3G and GPS to be integrated into the iPhone.

So what you are saying is Joe-Six-Pack wouldn't care so much for having double the storage space but at the same time are yearning for GPS and 3G?!?! Well, if you say so... but if you asked 100 people off the street to first explain what 8GB of storage means (as compared to 4GB) and then asked them to tell you what GPS and 3G were... the smart money would be on the AVERAGE CONSUMER knowing what the 4GB vs, 8GB was and would be giving you a glazed over stare when you asked about 3G and GPS.

I'd have to respectfully disagree...

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 29
    DaveGee and Thelonius,

Good insight and it is appreciated. Yes indeed the speed and usefulness concerning its smartphone attributes need improvement. I vote for the faster speed and 3G although both your views have great merit.... Since yesterdays acknowledgement of the price gouge, I find I am not as tolerate of my iphone's fault as a device. I may need some time to get over my Apple digust.

On this forum previously it has listed functionality additions needed and it would be great is Apple rewarded to newly screwed with more features...
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

So what you are saying is Joe-Six-Pack wouldn't care so much for having double the storage space but at the same time are yearning for GPS and 3G?!?! Well, if you say so... but if you asked 100 people off the street to first explain what 8GB of storage means (as compared to 4GB) and then asked them to tell you what GPS and 3G were... the smart money would be on the AVERAGE CONSUMER knowing what the 4GB vs, 8GB was and would be giving you a glazed over stare when you asked about 3G and GPS.

I'd have to respectfully disagree...

Dave

No, the average consumer won't know the difference between EDGE and 3G. What they will know are the reviews they have read about the connection speed of the iPhone being slow and reading they should wait until faster units become available.

However, with regards to GPS, I think the vast majority of cell phone users are familiar with GPS.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It seems likely that in the next month or so they will release a 16GB version of the iPhone for $499 to keep the 8GB company. Then at the end of November, before Xmas, the iPod Touch will be released in 16/32GB configurations. This makes room for a Q1 2008 iPhone release with a 16/32GB lineup with 3G support.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I'm totally picking one up on Saturday, just sold my 60GB tonight to go towards the purchase- can't freakin' wait!
  • Reply 20 of 29
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

It seems likely that in the next month or so they will release a 16GB version of the iPhone for $499 to keep the 8GB company. Then at the end of November, before Xmas, the iPod Touch will be released in 16/32GB configurations. This makes room for a Q1 2008 iPhone release with a 16/32GB lineup with 3G support.

I hope so my friend!