iPod Hi-Fi flops its way off Apple's online store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    is what the TV tells me the HD podcasts are being displayed at on screen. they look quite good, usually can't tell the difference between that picture and playing an average Blueray (I Mean HD DVD) (like King Kong) thru the PS3.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyberdish View Post

is what the TV tells me the HD podcasts are being displayed at on screen. they look quite good, usually can't tell the difference between that picture and playing an average Blueray (like King Kong) thru the PS3.

Umm, King Kong is a Universal movie, so no Blu-Ray version
  • Reply 23 of 32
    I would buy an updated hifi in a heartbeat if it would be an airtunes enabled stereo speaker set. Too bad that prospect looks unlikely at this point
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Oh no, they're keeping AppleTV for awhile I'm sure. I'm looking at it to replace the need for VHS or PVR recording.

Imagine it being linked directly to the content providers' television series and movies, but their content would be free via commercials. Television viewing would all be on demand and still free without the PVR, Tivo, or VHS recorder.

I looking to see if Apple can pull that off with the studios (NBC included).

The iPod HiFi was just priced too high. If Apple was serious about it then they should have lowered the price or updated the features. They didn't even bother. I'm sure it would have sold better at a lower price point.

Which it could if Apple would add PVR functionality to either it or the Mac platform. It's a good concept, but little mistakes and having it pretty much tied to the iTunes store are killing it.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Good riddance.

The iPod Hi-Fi is overpriced and sounds like mud. Sure, it's loud and has lots of bass, but that's it. There is no treble worth speaking of. Everything played on it sounds like the band is on the other side of a brick wall.

My $100 iHome IH5 sounds better in every possible way.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

I don't know. I looked at a LOT of iPod Hi-Fi systems out there (Bose, JVC, etc.) and I got to tell you, the Apple Hi-Fi had them beat overall. This thing has a real nice sound to it. Full rich bass, subtle midtones and so on. Yes, it's not cheap. But of all the ones I looked at, this thing was the best value. This would be a shame if they discontinue it. I use it everyday. Hopefully this means that a revised version will come out.

I recommended the Apple Hi-Fi to 2 of my friends that were both looking for similar systems. One got it, the other one did not. The one who didn't get it, really wished he did after hearing mine.

Total agreement. Love the sound and presence. I use mine with both my 1st gen iPod and 1st gen nano inside or on the deck (or wherever). Upon seeing this, I bought another from Amazon for a Xmas gift.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    They should make the hifi wifi

For the Apple TV they should put a DVD/BLU-RAY drive in it or allow you to stream off a dvd to the Apple TV. and allow to record off the TV.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I think his podcast was 1080i, which iTunes does feature.

Actually, 720p is also considered "high-def".
  • Reply 29 of 32
    I liked the HiFi, I just think the $349 price tag was a little too high, especially with the number of similar units out there. I'm hoping I can get a hold of one for a discounted price.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

They should make the hifi wifi

For the Apple TV they should put a DVD/BLU-RAY drive in it or allow you to stream off a dvd to the Apple TV. and allow to record off the TV.

It is really easy to plug an AirPort Express into it. Shazaam, WiFi HiFI.

But yeah, I can see them building that in eventually.

Problem with the AppleTV is all the limitations put on by the entertainment industry, doesn't let it become what it is meant to be.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I think his podcast was 1080i, which iTunes does feature.

Podcast?

Eureka is a sci-fi TV series (and a pretty good one at that)... and what I said was where does Apple offer 1080i resolution TV shows... Podcast if I'm not mistaken are quite different than professionally produced syndicated TV shows.

Unless that is there is some other podcast called Eureka that has nothing to do with the scifi tv series... if thats the case then... nevermind

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 32
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Podcast?

Eureka is a sci-fi TV series (and a pretty good one at that)... and what I said was where does Apple offer 1080i resolution TV shows... Podcast if I'm not mistaken are quite different than professionally produced syndicated TV shows.

Unless that is there is some other podcast called Eureka that has nothing to do with the scifi tv series... if thats the case then... nevermind

Dave

My mistake. I do know that some podcasts are offered in HD, I just figured that was one of them and that you knew what you were talking about. You weren't clear enough about what type of program it was.