Photos of Apple's 2007 holiday iPod lineup

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks for info .. So ... (he asks excitedly) are you saying each iPod 'remembers' it's settings such as 'sync all' or only 'sync selected playlists'? If so that is the bit of info I was missing between my ears lol I had assumed the settings were iTunes' based and applied to all iPods attached!

That's been my experience, and I own iPod products in 1, 4 and 20GB sizes. Each one has its own settings and each one links to a different smart playlist. I have a few smart playlists that go onto all iPods, one with a certain number of 4 stars, another with certain number if 5 stars, each filled with the ones having the lowest play count. Then, I have one playlist that's set to hold a certain number of tracks that will generally be close to filling the rest of the iPod. Those also prioritize the tracks that have the lowest play count. So once a track gets played, its play count goes up and it is usually replaced with another song when it is synced again. Sometimes I tweak it, but usually it works very well.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I'm sad there's no more white on any of the iPods. I still think pure white looks better than the crappy 60's SciFi silver. Black is the only colour I like now, and the Touch looks nice - in fact, it's what the iPhone SHOULD look like, without the tacky, glitzy silver bezel.

I, cried when I didn't see a white iPod.

I might get the 160GB iPod---I will have to see how the silver looks in person, I reckon that these new iPods may show more scratched. I'm sure that buying and applying on invisible shield will be more noticeable.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's been my experience, and I own iPod products in 1, 4 and 20GB sizes. Each one has its own settings and each one links to a different smart playlist.

As Homer would say ... 'DOH!'.

I should have known Apple thought this one through. But as i said to another poster, making these smaller playlists is going to be a long, labor of love! Then again a good excuse to explore those 45 GIGs lol

Thnx
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

I, cried when I didn't see a white iPod.

I might get the 160GB iPod---I will have to see how the silver looks in person, I reckon that these new iPods may show more scratched. I'm sure that buying and applying on invisible shield will be more noticeable.

It looks like metal to me. I'd check that out, if it is, then your scratch fears are almost totally unwarranted. Apple's plastic choices scratch much more easily than Apple's metal choices.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

I should have known Apple thought this one through. But as i said to another poster, making these smaller playlists is going to be a long, labor of love! Then again a good excuse to explore those 45 GIGs lol

What we're trying to say is that you don't have to manually arrange the playlists at all. You may if you want, but the Smart Playlists are incredibly powerful and once it's set, it's completely automatic.

I can't find a tutorial on how to do this, I wish I had the time to make one. Maybe it'll only take half an hour to throw together a page explaining what to do, but it would be a while, maybe a couple days.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

It looks like metal to me. I'd check that out, if it is, then your scratch fears are almost totally unwarranted. Apple's plastic choices scratch much more easily than Apple's metal choices.

True and the writer should also consider this: ... if he thinks the environment to which he will expose his expensive iPod to is likely to be that abrasive there are cases ... my four year old white plastic iPod 60 has been to the beach almost every weekend and is still perfect thanks to a $30 case. When in the speaker system in the house it is scratch free and looks like new.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

What we're trying to say is that you don't have to manually arrange the playlists at all. You may if you want, but the Smart Playlists are incredibly powerful and once it's set, it's completely automatic.

I can't find a tutorial on how to do this, I wish I had the time to make one. Maybe it'll only take half an hour to throw together a page explaining what to do, but it would be a while, maybe a couple days.

Thanks Jeff, I assume it is much like Aperture's star ratings for pictures and smart albums ... ? However with hundreds of thousands of songs one still has to manually rate them don't you? Fear not, I will do some research ... lol. Learning iTunes holds different prefs for each iPod is a major break through for me, that is the main thing. Only having two identical iPods I had never even looked at this aspect before.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Thanks Jeff, I assume it is much like Aperture's star ratings for pictures and smart albums ... ? However with hundreds of thousands of songs one still has to manually rate them don't you? Fear not, I will do some research ... lol. Learning iTunes holds different prefs for each iPod is a major break through for me, that is the main thing. Only having two identical iPods I had never even looked at this aspect before.

That's true, you do have to rate them all if you want them sorted by rating. I started out with unrated stuff, then as I listened through my normal listening habit, rating them as I felt like it, and my playlist would still rotate songs out as they are played. On the plus site, your favorite songs should be easier to find once they are rated.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    so do you think there is any hardware limitations preventing this really nice looking user interface on the new iPod Classic to be put on an 5G iPod Video?

i know apple won't do it, they want people to by new iPods, but it'd be very cool to just put the new UI on my iPod video. lets hack it
  • Reply 50 of 56
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by counterpart9 View Post

so do you think there is any hardware limitations preventing this really nice looking user interface on the new iPod Classic to be put on an 5G iPod Video?

i know apple won't do it, they want people to by new iPods, but it'd be very cool to just put the new UI on my iPod video. lets hack it

It looks quite a bit more complicated, I'm guessing that there's a new processor, etc. inside.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

Thanks for info .. So ... (he asks excitedly) are you saying each iPod 'remembers' it's settings such as 'sync all' or only 'sync selected playlists'? If so that is the bit of info I was missing between my ears lol I had assumed the settings were iTunes' based and applied to all iPods attached!

Yup.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Thnx

This is not exactly on-topic but have you seen Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes and iPod?. Lots of good stuff there for handling large libraries, playlists, etc. and getting around some of iTunes limitations.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

WHY WHY WHY on Earth did they go with shiny aluminum on the back of the new Touch?

It's polished stainless still, otherwise known as scratch-magnet.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I completely agree.

My order has been placed with Apple for one nano and one Touch. For the nano I wanted black so no choice on size. For the touch, I decided bigger is better for the long term (I feel they will add functionality to it).

The iMac will have to wait until spring...

I'm gonna do the same thing.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

"Apple has also added component video output to the iPods announced today via a component video cable. Apple states that component video output is currently supported with the iPod Nano (3G) and iPod classic (6G) at 480p or 576p, and the iPod Touch at 480i or 576i resolution." from: Mac Rumors web site.

The nano and classic do progressive and the touch only does interlace? Wtf, that's werid.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

This is not exactly on-topic but have you seen Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes and iPod?. Lots of good stuff there for handling large libraries, playlists, etc. and getting around some of iTunes limitations.

Yeah I discovered them only last weekend would you believe? I was in deep doo doo after a major screw up I made.

I had used Senuti (iPod to Disk utility) after a disk crash on my second internal drive where my iTunes has its data. I wanted to restore to the back up some stuff i knew was more up to date on iPod before the restore (big mistake!).

To my horror, even though I had checked 'skip if same' ... I went from about 8,000 songs to 16,000. Sentuti is not too intelligent it turns out and saw all my iPods contents as being different from HD version of same material! Every song was there twice.

I had several hours of panic as this was my only back up. I eventually found this web site you mention and actually used iDupe an $8 shareware that was able to remove all the dupes in sections. It took about two hours but I am back where i started now! Phew!

Some amazing stuff there i agree.