Wu: Apple's "fatboy" nano could be this holiday's dark horse

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 84
    Now, I don't expect things to turn out any differently from what the analyst says but that's mostly due to Apple's Marketing prowess. To me at least, the Nano is pretty disappointing. The newly introduced Creative Zen has it beat in just about every category. That being said I doubt that Creative will market this thing correctly and thus will get trounced by the Nano.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebg View Post


    Now, I don't expect things to turn out any differently from what the analyst says but that's mostly due to Apple's Marketing prowess. To me at least, the Nano is pretty disappointing. The newly introduced Creative Zen has it beat in just about every category. That being said I doubt that Creative will market this thing correctly and thus will get trounced by the Nano.



    except that is is thick as hell and you could almost carry two nanos in its place, which would make sence if you had the 16gb zen.



    Nano:

    Height: 2.75 inches (69.8 mm)

    Width: 2.06 inches (52.3 mm)

    Depth: 0.26 inch (6.5 mm)



    zen:

    Hight 55 mm

    Width: 83mm

    Depth: 11.3mm



    if apple had made the nano like 12 mm thick they could have probably gotten 32gb in there. However, that is not the purpose of the nano.





    as for their marketing:









    LOL!!!
  • Reply 63 of 84
    stompystompy Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post


    I respectfully disagree with this. I don't think it's a "fair" comparison. There are many brands to choose from for plasma/LCD TVs and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives. Right now, there is only ONE iPhone; and for the hard core, no equivalent.



    Some people are fanatic about Fujitsu plasmas, some about Aquos LCD, others only want a Sony BDP. Like you, they don't consider other brands as "equivalent. (As for the Sony BDPs, didja notice the BDP300 premiered for 50% off the BDP-1000).



    And for the record, I'm happy that Jobs did the $100 gift.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    That being said, thickness is about all they have up on the Zen. Battery Life is the same, supports more video codecs, has a bigger screen, and expandable memory for the exact same price. I think they could put up a good fight if they can actually get people to know about their product.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebg View Post


    Now, I don't expect things to turn out any differently from what the analyst says but that's mostly due to Apple's Marketing prowess. To me at least, the Nano is pretty disappointing. The newly introduced Creative Zen has it beat in just about every category. That being said I doubt that Creative will market this thing correctly and thus will get trounced by the Nano.



    I assume you talking about the Zen V plus since that's the only one in the price range of the nano.



    So lets see - compare 4GB to 4GB models (from the companies web sites)



    The Zen is MORE expensive $199 vx $149

    The Zen has lower resolution smaller screen - 1.5" vs 2.0" and 128x128 vs 320s240

    The Zen does have line-in recording - Nano not.





    ???????



    Edit: To me so long the other posts came up so I take it we're comparing a $149 model against a $249, or $199 against a $349 model? So NM
  • Reply 66 of 84
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post




    Nano:

    Height: 2.75 inches (69.8 mm)

    Width: 2.06 inches (52.3 mm)

    Depth: 0.26 inch (6.5 mm)



    zen:

    Hight 55 mm

    Width: 83mm

    Depth: 11.3mm



    Well, its not only depth, that's bigger, but height/width that are bigger if you compare them in the same orientation.



    And I seriously doubt that the Creative device has anywhere near the desktop integration that iTunes gives. But to each his own. Creative has always made a nice device for what it is. I just prefer to manage on the desktop.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    physguy, you're looking at the wrong unit, the new zens are the same price as the nano with bigger screens.



    http://us.creative.com/products/prod...Specifications

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebg View Post


    Now, I don't expect things to turn out any differently from what the analyst says but that's mostly due to Apple's Marketing prowess. To me at least, the Nano is pretty disappointing. The newly introduced Creative Zen has it beat in just about every category. That being said I doubt that Creative will market this thing correctly and thus will get trounced by the Nano.



    The creative has a bigger screen, that's nice and seems to be the main advantage. They don't list video output to a screen, does it do it?



    It's bigger, thicker, heavier than the nano. Same price for same capacites, but goes up to 16G (although that's the same price as an ipod touch, and they definitely lose that comparison bigtime). The zen seems nice, but not enough advantage that I'd buy it over a nano. Regardless of how they market it, it will probably get trounced, there are probably just too many people hooked into the ipod/itunes integration and file formats.





    I think the nano is really getting overlooked in the flurry of announcements. It's a killer unit at a great price, and with the holidays they'll probably be selling them as fast as they can make them. This is probably the strongest lineup apple has ever had going into christmas, and I'm sure sales will reflect that.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebg View Post


    That being said, thickness is about all they have up on the Zen. Battery Life is the same, supports more video codecs, has a bigger screen, and expandable memory for the exact same price. I think they could put up a good fight if they can actually get people to know about their product.



    bigger screen, same resolution



    are you really going to carry around sd cards and switch them out just to find one song.



    and size/price in the primary issue concerning this market
  • Reply 69 of 84
    I think if the early photos didn't find their way on the net people wouldn't be referring to this as "fatboy". The thing is super thin. Even if you don't watch video on this, I think it improves the UI and I like that there is cover flow on the device. The early picture also had no sense of scale, after viewing photos of this thing in people's hands, well, I already said it.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post


    physguy, you're looking at the wrong unit, the new zens are the same price as the nano with bigger screens.



    http://us.creative.com/products/prod...Specifications





    The creative has a bigger screen, that's nice and seems to be the main advantage. They don't list video output to a screen, does it do it?



    It's bigger, thicker, heavier than the nano. Same price for same capacites, but goes up to 16G (although that's the same price as an ipod touch, and they definitely lose that comparison bigtime). The zen seems nice, but not enough advantage that I'd buy it over a nano. Regardless of how they market it, it will probably get trounced, there are probably just too many people hooked into the ipod/itunes integration and file formats.





    I think the nano is really getting overlooked in the flurry of announcements. It's a killer unit at a great price, and with the holidays they'll probably be selling them as fast as they can make them. This is probably the strongest lineup apple has ever had going into christmas, and I'm sure sales will reflect that.



    I'm not positive about video output on the Zen. Cnet's crave blog does talk about video output through the audio jack being nixed, but they could be mistaken

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crave


    On the downside, one feature that I believe Apple has sneaked out of both the new iPod Nano and iPod Classic is the ability to use the headphone jack as a composite video output jack, allowing for photos and videos to be played to your television set without the aid of a third-party interface.



    I think this could be a great device, I was just expecting a little more out of it. At least having 16GB could possibly sell me. I just find the fact that I can put all of my music and a few videos on the player itself and then have an SD card that I could throw a couple movies and TV Shows on for trips and whatnot.



    That being said I'm tossing around the idea of the iPod Classic because 80GB for $250 is ridiculous, that's bigger than my laptop HDD!
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebg View Post


    I'm not positive about video output on the Zen. Cnet's crave blog does talk about video output through the audio jack being nixed, but they could be mistaken



    They are mistaken. The feature hasn't been removed, just moved from the audio jack to the usb jack. There are new versions of the cable, both composite and component. And now that feature is on every ipod, not just the big one, it even looks like its been added to the iPhone which didn't do it before.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post


    They are mistaken. The feature hasn't been removed, just moved from the audio jack to the usb jack. There are new versions of the cable, both composite and component. And now that feature is on every ipod, not just the big one, it even looks like its been added to the iPhone which didn't do it before.



    Oh alright, so that appears to be a feature that they have over the Zen. I really hope that I'm not sounding like a hater here because I'm still considering an iPod. My biggest beef is that they still don't support .AVI or Divx files but if it's true that all players force you to transcode that problem would be somewhat alleviated since it would almost be the same no matter where I go.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    If you really like the zen, get the zen.



    Is it shipping yet?
  • Reply 74 of 84
    nope no shipping as of yet, but either way I can't afford either at the moment with books for school being my main necessity right now. I'll sit back and wait for some reviews. I don't like that neither lets you drag and drop files but I guess that won't be more than a minor annoyance.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    All electronic manufacturers do this. My plasma is now cheaper than when I bought it on fathers day, the ps3 is cheaper, x box 360 ecetera and ecetera.



    People who are really upset over this should just avoid electronic purchases. This happens all the time.



    The problem I see is not the fact that prices drop, that's clearly unavoidable. It's the time from first introduction to the first price drop. The 360 was out for a year and a half before the reduction. PS3 - a little over six months for half the price drop on the same original price. TVs generally don't drop that soon after first introduction either. It is a phone and that market is different, though I don't think anyone expected Apple to follow market conventions on this particular bit - usually Apple bumps up features before dropping prices even if their competitors are dropping prices instead.



    I don't think people were owed the $100 credit at all, but I really don't think the drop was a shining moment of customer relations either. The credit was a pretty good show of good faith.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    Well, its not only depth, that's bigger, but height/width that are bigger if you compare them in the same orientation.



    And I seriously doubt that the Creative device has anywhere near the desktop integration that iTunes gives. But to each his own. Creative has always made a nice device for what it is. I just prefer to manage on the desktop.



    I think the management of both is "on the desktop". It's a matter of whether you want iTunes or to use a regular file management program, I think, assuming it doesn't require a different proprietary program to manage.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I think the management of both is "on the desktop". It's a matter of whether you want iTunes or to use a regular file management program, I think, assuming it doesn't require a different proprietary program to manage.



    I actually think it does, it's currently only compatible with Windows so that has me thinking that you have to use some propriety program to transfer files. That's a little crappy since my laptop is dying/pissing me off right now and I'm thinking of switching away from Windows.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post


    As for their marketing:







    LOL!!!



    The box for my sprint phone had a vaguely similar picture of a guy basking in the sunlight glow of the phone. I just don't see why they put pictures of people "using" the product on the box, the composition always looked retarded to me.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Ok, enough whining about the iPhone, and yes I bought one day one.



    Anyways does any one think that it is a little bit ridiculous to call the new Nano a dark horse for the holidays? I don't know if people remember like the last 5 years when the iPod has been the hottest thing to to get for Christmas? I think my analysis would be that the new Nano will follow the old Nano being the #1 hottest gift for the holidays....



    Am I wrong? And if I am not how can I become an analyst because it seems like they probably make a lot of money.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This thread is really all over place, it isn't another iphone rant thread. That said I actually agree with Wu this time.
Sign In or Register to comment.