Where oh where are Maps, Mail and Notes?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The iPod touch is a swell looking device but where are the apps? Maps, Mail and Notes. Also the ability to download photos to it then be able to send them back home to a sever would be the bee's knees to someone that was on the road say traveling. Lots of potential here if apple would just steer the boat in that direction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    If they kept total feature parity there'd be little to no temptation to spring for an iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Well there would always be that phone option that would not be there.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipete View Post

Well there would always be that phone option that would not be there.

Yes, but would people pay $100 more simply for the phone capability?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    [hopefullness]

Could someone upload the apps from the iphone and then we could download them and put them on the ipod touch?

[/hopefullness]
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Yes, but would people pay $100 more simply for the phone capability?

People that need a phone would. My phone is on its last legs and I already have AT&T. I was waiting for the full screen iPod but I am dissapointed that it only has 16GB memory so since it cannot replace my existing 80GB iPod, I've decided to get an iPhone sometime in the future. I wish apple would converge the 2 products and offer an iPhone with a hard drive.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If people can use Safari to log into their Mail anyway, there's really no reason for them not throwing in a Mail client. I say "throwing" because the app is already made. Those other widgets aren't so important, but you'd imaging 'notes' would be included, as that's already on the 'Classic'.

Don't underestimate the power of the iPhone, as in you can surf the internet or check your mail from 'anywhere', and you have sms, and the phone. This is worth the extra 100 bucks any day. There's really no reason for Apple to limit the 'touch' in this way. I'm thinking when the iPhone gets 16GB this year, Apple may add some of these 'missing' features to the 'touch'.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    I'm sure with the official launch of Leopard 10.5 that they'll enable or add new features to the touch devices. Notes on the iPhone doesn't sync with anything now does it? It should with Mail.app in 10.5. At least with "physical buttonless" hardware they can add new features without any trouble. I'd like to see an app that can show me the future.. with coverflow of course.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

The iPod touch is a swell looking device but where are the apps? Maps, Mail and Notes. Also the ability to download photos to it then be able to send them back home to a sever would be the bee's knees to someone that was on the road say traveling. Lots of potential here if apple would just steer the boat in that direction.

Maybe the hackers should start trying to make a disc mode and see if the iPhone programs will copy and work on the iPod Touch - might get Apple faster on the job to start offering programs via itunes. If you could download and copy mail to the iPod it would make it a lot more attractive to buy and that's just the start.

As it is, you might as well spend the little extra and get the iPhone, even if you don't want to use the phone functions.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

I just love when people critize the Apps ... you have safari as a web browser and pretty much everything you need to do can be done via safari including some VNCing of your home machine over the web browser. Weblog has been part of mac os X server for sometime . you may access AFP via Webdav . Webmail is part of mac os X server as well.

The ipod touch is very capable and updatable in many ways (just a firmware update away) so i guess things will quickly evolve as well on this front. I suspect Apple will update things briskly once 10.5 and 10.5 servers are out , after all they pulled out devs from 10.5 to help with iphone so it would only make sense things will go update as 10.5 gets ready.

We are yet at v1.01 of the Mac os X on mobile technology deployment. Communication capabilities of Mac os X are good . You can synch many things via Wifi and i guess you can ssh to your iphone , sftp a file there and here you go .

http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gizmodo-t...ted-286854.php

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mressl/webshell/

there is a bit of reading to do to setup the shell but you can throw sftp from the connection.

WARNING : Make sure your applications are compatible with the device . TEST TEST TEST.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    This was my reaction: "Hey the iPod touch is neat! Safari, Calendar, Contacts! Yay! [pause] Where's Maps? Wh-where's Weather? Notes? Why doesn't it have freakin' Notes!?!"

These are so clearly a shallow, marketing decision that it's painful. Maps is kind a of gray area what with the phone integration.

But Weather and Notes?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

This was my reaction: "Hey the iPod touch is neat! Safari, Calendar, Contacts! Yay! [pause] Where's Maps? Wh-where's Weather? Notes? Why doesn't it have freakin' Notes!?!"

These are so clearly a shallow, marketing decision that it's painful. Maps is kind a of gray area what with the phone integration.

But Weather and Notes?

As the old saying goes:

- If it's wet outside it's raining

- if there white stuff on the ground / tress and such, it's likely to be snowing

- If things are flying around, and you need to hold you hat down on your head - it's windy?

Notes? well I sell note pads so this one doesn't do much for me

So as I (and others see it)

- if you want to listen to music, you buy an iPod

- if you want to make a phone call ? you buy an iPhone

- if you want more - buy a MacBook
  • Reply 12 of 26
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    That is why I will be waiting - for additional functionality at creep in and for that price drop. In the meantime, my ipod still works fine.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

As the old saying goes:

- if there white stuff on the ground / tress and such, it's likely to be snowing

- If things are flying around, and you need to hold you hat down on your head - it's windy?

What a most helpful and informative reply. Thanks! I must read it again some times.

The point of this thread is to ask the question why is Apple offering these relatively inconsequential apps on the iPhone and not on the iPod touch?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

What a most helpful and informative reply. Thanks! I must read it again some times.

The point of this thread is to ask the question why is Apple offering these relatively inconsequential apps on the iPhone and not on the iPod touch?

Unfortunately, I think the same mind that is capable of asking the question already has the answer. Clearly, Apple is artificially leveling its products because they've merged so closely in terms of functionality.

As for me, part of me is elated because I finally have the Apple handheld I've LONG asked for (I think you can find posts by me on these forums since about 2002) but the other part is a little hesitant to call the iPod Touch the handheld I've been waiting for.

At this point, we are SO close to a fully functional computer-in-my-hand that I may wait for 1-2 more iterations of this iPod. I agree: Bluetooth, Mail, and a microphone and built-in iSight, and I think we've done it.

(With Bluetooth, I could use my Apple BT keyboard...right? And with Mail, I could leave my MBP behind on many occasions. With a microphone and iSight, Skype goes where I go.)

Then, friends, we've entered the era of the Jetsons.

Then again, I may buy the iPod Touch as soon as I save up $300.

Edit: Okay, maybe my first post about the PDA iPod was in April, 2006. But I was thinking it much earlier than that, really!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Unfortunately, I think the same mind that is capable of asking the question already has the answer. Clearly, Apple is artificially leveling its products because they've merged so closely in terms of functionality.

<Sigh> Yeah true, what bothers me is that there's no clear delineation. Apple gave the 'touch a browser but not widgets that pull data from... the web. It's like a luxury car without floor mats and you void your warranty if you buy your own. If you want floor mats, you have to buy a limousine.

Quote:

As for me, part of me is elated because I finally have the Apple handheld I've LONG asked for (I think you can find posts by me on these forums since about 2002) but the other part is a little hesitant to call the iPod Touch the handheld I've been waiting for.

[snip]

I know this will be blasphemy to some but... the 'touch and the iPhone have completely bested the Newton... and it had Notes!!! <dives into the bunker>.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some but... the 'touch and the iPhone have completely bested the Newton... and it had Notes!!! <dives into the bunker>.

All handhelds are. I hate John Scully as much as the next guy, but the Newton was the one good thing that came out of the train wreck that was Apple at that time. World would be diferent had it not been created.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

As the old saying goes:

I agree
  • Reply 18 of 26
    For the record, Apple has removed the bit of copy on the iPod Touch site which states that the keyboard can be used to 'Add Calendar Dates', the implication being that, well, it can't.

This poor thing is going to get hacked to bits pretty quickly.

edit: I mistyped - the ability removed was adding and modifying events from the Calendar, not adding contacts.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

As the old saying goes:

not necessarily. it might just be dew on the ground. or mabye someone watered their lawn. or mabye, you're in a lake.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

For the record, Apple has removed the bit of copy on the iPod Touch site which states that the keyboard can be used to 'Add Contacts', the implication being that, well, it can't.

This poor thing is going to get hacked to bits pretty quickly.

Ugh. No, wait, UGH!! Apple's decisions about the 'touch are revealing themselves to be worse and worse.

It's like saying, "the Mac mini runs iCal great but if you want to enter dates you have to upgrade to the iMac. And, by the way, TextEdit is not included with the Mac mini."

The easiest way to describe the iPod touch has been to call it the iPhone minus phone. And that's exactly how Apple should treat it: two devices, one having more hardware bits but both can run any and all of the software that doesn't require that additional hardware.

This is getting extra dumb.