Analyst sees 3G iPhone from Apple by Christmas

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A recent deal with a key parts supplier means Apple could have an iPhone with much improved cellular Internet access on the market before the end of the year, according to a new bulletin by market researchers Forward Concepts.

Chief analyst Will Strauss noted that Apple's recently struck, seven-year deal with InterDigital for patent licenses covering present and future iPhone models appeared to confirm his group's beliefs that an Apple handset with third-generation (3G) cellular broadband was already in development and could be ready as soon as the holidays.

This timetable, obtained directly from the report by AppleInsider, contradicts earlier reports on Tuesday which claimed cited the same firm as saying Apple might announce both European carriers and a matching 3G iPhone as early as this week.

The Forward Concepts report noted that semiconductor firm Infineon was likely manufacturing the transceivers needed to enable the faster connection using InterDigital's 3G technology. It was the only company not already obligated to produce the technology for someone else, Strauss said, and was already manufacturing the slower, 2G EDGE hardware used in the iPhone.

Infineon is producing chipsets for "at least two" unnamed companies that rely on UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) technology for cellular Internet links, he added. The format is often used for cellphone Internet access in Europe and can include the faster HSDPA (High Speed Download Packet Access) protocol used in Europe and North America. The analyst warned, however, that there was no guarantee Apple would be ready to launch 3G access on an HSDPA network such as AT&T's so soon after the release of the 2G iPhone.

"There is no doubt that a 3G... version of the iPhone is in the offing," Strauss said. "Whether it also has higher-speed (HSDPA) capability for the next release is uncertain."

While the claim appears to be based on the connections between companies rather than direct sources, the report feeds into speculation about an enhanced iPhone model triggered by an alleged German T-Mobile ad that surfaced this past weekend. The unconfirmed leak pointed to a mid-November release of an iPhone with both HSDPA and UMTS network support for the German provider, which would offer unlimited data plans with connection speeds peaking at 3.6 megabits per second.

The purported ad also referred to the German iPhone as an "XL" model with 16GB of storage and priced it at 499 Euros, suggesting that it would be an addition to the lineup rather than a replacement for the current 8GB version, which sells for $399 US.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Where there is smoke, there is a fire.

Coraborated rumors implies it exists. OK 1+1 =2

So will they offer it to the US at the same time as EU. Thats why the price cut was introduced, to make room for the 3G iPhone ($499) & HSPDA iPhone ($599) both 16Gb. Out November, sell sH*t loads December. It also indicates that the current iPhone will become the intro iPhone as the newer models claim added HW functionality. At least until there is a iPhone nano anyway. I think they want the nano for the Asian market. 1st Qtr 2008.

Just musing, what do you think?

Pete
  • Reply 2 of 38
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Well, the alleged leaked German T-Mobile ad has been met with a healthy dose of skepticism elsewhere, actually. I know that Engadget Mobile was all but calling it a Photoshopped fake:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...hone-doubtful/

Even so, we can hope that there'll be a 3G iPhone in time for the Euro launch. It's not super-difficult to do, some entry-level US phones even have 3G now, for chrissake. And we all know what backward barbarians us left-ponders are when it comes to cellphone technology.

Yet why do I still have the nagging feeling/fear that Apple will drag their feet and not do it 'til the Asian launch in mid-2008?? Augh.

Edit: On closer inspection, I have to be thinking the 'leaked' ad is prolly fake, as it says 'iPod 16GB', not 'iPhone 16GB':

• Reply 3 of 38
    This is either a very credible rumour or great FUD. I tend to believe the FUD angle more than anything else. Who sands to gain more by having people delay their purchases of an Apple product. And now it the great price reduction fiasco, how many early adopters are going to scream bloody murder because they want to trade in their old iPhone for a better 3G phone? No good deed goes unpunished.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I'm betting that you'll be able to get an 8GB iPhone with Edge for the current $399 and a slightly thicker 16GB with 3G and an bigger battery for $499. This would mimick the 2 sizes of iPod and would offer users a good choice.

You just couldn't have an Asian or European version of the iPhone which was perceived to be better than the one on sale in the US. And in time for Christmas too.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Everyone needs to remember that to release the 3G iPhone in the USA Apple will need a new FCC approval, which takes months to get and when they apply for this approval it is public knowledge. I.e. we will know probably 2-3 months ahead of time that a new iPhone is coming to the USA. This was the reason Apple announced the iPhone early in the first place, I would expect them to do the same for the 2nd Gen iPhone (which is the first one I think we'll see 3G in in the USA).
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Forward Concepts report noted that semiconductor firm Infineon was likely manufacturing the transceivers needed to enable the faster connection using InterDigital's 3G technology.

No shit Sherlock.

From Interdigital's website...

http://www.interdigital.com/tech_pro...#dualmodemodem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The purported ad also referred to the German iPhone as an "XL" model with 16GB of storage and priced it at 499 Euros, suggesting that it would be an addition to the lineup rather than a replacement for the current 8GB version, which sells for $399 US.

No it did not. XL refers to the tariff not the phone.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Everyone needs to remember that to release the 3G iPhone in the USA Apple will need a new FCC approval, which takes months to get and when they apply for this approval it is public knowledge. I.e. we will know probably 2-3 months ahead of time that a new iPhone is coming to the USA. This was the reason Apple announced the iPhone early in the first place, I would expect them to do the same for the 2nd Gen iPhone (which is the first one I think we'll see 3G in in the USA).

Bogus. The iphone did not leak out from the FCC prior to launch. It's quite probable they'd do the same for a 3G version.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Bogus. The iphone did not leak out from the FCC prior to launch.

Not entirely true. Here's an article from May 17:

Update: iPhone wins approval from the FCC

The move clears the way for it to hit the market next month

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...e=it_blogwatch

Now, Apple did do a great job in reducing the time from FCC approval to launch to a mere six weeks (usually its more like 4-6 months), but they weren't able to black out all info from the FCC.

For example, from the same May article:

In addition, the FCC said the iPhone is a quad-band phone that supports GSM frequencies used outside the U.S. The phone uses GSM technology and the EDGE (Enhanced Data Rate for GSM Evolution) wireless data standard. Apple has said the phone will ship initially only in the U.S., but many GSM phones today, even on the low end, are capable of operating in Europe, the U.S. and Asia.

Eager would-be buyers who hoped for a faster data connection will be disappointed that the approval is only for EDGE.

• Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Not entirely true. Here's an article from May 17

Weird. I don't read computerworld but usually the FCC leaks pictures and manuals like a sieve to Engadget.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

No it did not. XL refers to the tariff not the phone.

If you look at the ad closely (which I posted in post #3), 'XL' is used to refer to both the plan and the phone.

Not that it means much. The ad may very well be fake.

• Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

Weird. I don't read computerworld but usually the FCC leaks pictures and manuals like a sieve to Engadget.

Yeah, I'd agree.

The funny part is that in the run-up to launch, we had a lot of ppl here insisting up until the very last minute that 3G 'might be on the iPhone', even though the FCC approval was for EDGE.

• Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

If you look at the ad closely (which I posted in post #3), 'XL' is used to refer to both the plan and the phone.

Not that it means much. The ad may very well be fake.

They use L, XL and XXL on all their phone tariffs regardless of the phone. There's no Nokia E61 XL model for example.

In the advert it says the iPhone is 499 Euro with the XL tariff. Presumably it's more expensive with L and less with XXL. Still stupidly expensive though.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Just hope they update the e-mail application soon so it is functional. :-(

3G is great for data transfer, but what are you using it for... (If the majority say You Tube, well, I guess I am back to the Blackberry.)
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:

They use L, XL and XXL on all their phone tariffs regardless of the phone. There's no Nokia E61 XL model for example.

In the advert it says the iPhone is 499 Euro with the XL tariff. Presumably it's more expensive with L and less with XXL. Still stupidly expensive though.

Ah, so in Germany they scale phone prices according to what price plan you're on? Very interesting way of doing things.

I guess that means that you're not free to change your plan at any time, or that you may have to pay to do so? I don't think Americans would dig that.

• Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Everyone needs to remember that to release the 3G iPhone in the USA Apple will need a new FCC approval, which takes months to get and when they apply for this approval it is public knowledge. I.e. we will know probably 2-3 months ahead of time that a new iPhone is coming to the USA.

Maybe more like 6 weeks. That was the gap between FCC approval and the iPhone launch last time.

• Reply 16 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Steve, if you want to sell an iPhone to me, and many many like me in Europe, make the European version 3G or you will be shooting yourself in the foot. Cause if you don't it will literally halve your sales.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Ah, so in Germany they scale phone prices according to what price plan you're on? Very interesting way of doing things.

Yes. That's the case in the UK too. eg. Pay £25 a month for your 18 month plan and £219 for a Nokia N95 OR pay £45 a month and get your Nokia N95 FREE. ie. the more expensive the plan, the more subsidy.

Germany is apparently very expensive but we still don't know if that advert was fake or not.

Quote:

I guess that means that you're not free to change your plan at any time, or that you may have to pay to do so? I don't think Americans would dig that.

Depends. There's that many different contracts available but in general you sign up to a year or 18 month contract and you're stuck paying it each month. If you want to change to a more expensive contract then usually they'll do it but you're starting off again with a year/18 month contract.

That's why many people buy phones outright, unlock them and then use 'Pay as you go' SIMs sold without handsets so they aren't locked in to a long contract. Because we don't pay incoming fees like you do in the USA, it's not uncommon to have a couple of phone numbers and never have to pay for them. For instance, I've got an old ex-contract phone with a PAYG SIM in it for customers to ring me like a Batphone. Costs me nothing but the price of a SIM (about £5 IIRC) and that came with £2 credit. I have to use it once every 6 months to maintain the number.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

I'm betting that you'll be able to get an 8GB iPhone with Edge for the current $399 and a slightly thicker 16GB with 3G and an bigger battery for $499. This would mimick the 2 sizes of iPod and would offer users a good choice.

You just couldn't have an Asian or European version of the iPhone which was perceived to be better than the one on sale in the US. And in time for Christmas too.

Good call, point for point those are my thoughts exactly.

As for the people mentioning FCC leaks, can't manufacturers request applications be kept secret?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Good call, point for point those are my thoughts exactly.

As for the people mentioning FCC leaks, can't manufacturers request applications be kept secret?

I'm not sure about the application but I do know Apple's kept certain details about the iPhone secret and FCC agreed to do it.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    The forthcoming 3G iPhone is probably another reason for the drastic price cut by Apple. They need to clear current inventory of 2G iPhones to make room for the new model.