Free iPhone unlocking solution released for download

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One day after the release of the iPhoneSimFree unlocking solution, the method utilized by the software has been discovered and is currently being developed into a free software package. It seems that the baseband firmware can be upgraded through a bug in the firmware update code.

The free solution should be available in a few hours!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    thats good news ...

bring it on!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    --removed
  • Reply 3 of 39
    The software has been released, and I've changed the thread title to reflect this:

Grab it from the 'Progress Report' section at:

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Is this for Mac only?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

The software has been released, and I've changed the thread title to reflect this:

Grab it from the 'Progress Report' section at:

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

thanks audiopollution, site is slow not able to download yet
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

thanks audiopollution, site is slow not able to download yet

I just want to confirm it works. I have tested my iPhone with my girlfriends T-mobile sim, and it works great (can make calls, wifi works, etc). She doesn't have a data plan, so I can't test edge, but I hear that works according to other users (you just need the 19.99 data plan from T-mobile, not sure the name).

I followed the instructions on this site: http://iphone.unlock.no/

Supposedly a GUI version is in the works, which should help to make things easier.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

I just want to confirm it works. I have tested my iPhone with my girlfriends T-mobile sim, and it works great (can make calls, wifi works, etc). She doesn't have a data plan, so I can't test edge, but I hear that works according to other users (you just need the 19.99 data plan from T-mobile, not sure the name).

I followed the instructions on this site: http://iphone.unlock.no/

Supposedly a GUI version is in the works, which should help to make things easier.

great! any body else had success please share ...
  • Reply 8 of 39
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    A team of hackers attempting to unlock Apple Inc.'s iPhone for use with GSM-based wireless carriers other than AT&T appear to have finally succeeded in their efforts, and last night began distributing their solution as a free download via several websites.

Dubbed "iUnlock," the SIM unlocking tool represents the fruits of a multi-month effort on the part of the unofficial "iPhone Dev Team" -- a community of independent contributors who've banded together to discover and develop additional uses for the inaugural Apple handset.

Unlike commercial efforts from groups such as iPhoneSIMfree and UniquePhones, iUnlock was released Tuesday evening as a free download, and has since begun to spread rapidly across the web. Several iPhone owners and members of Apple online communities claim to have tested and verified the solution as genuine.

In its current state, however, the iUnlock solution is not for the technically-challeneged or faint-of-heart. It requires a "jailbroken" iPhone, rudimentary knowledge of using a unix terminal, experience with SFTP and some patience. Some tutorials on how to apply the hack have also begun to crop up, but they're currently rough around the edges.

Several more user-friendly installation guides are believed to be under development at the present time, as is a version of iUnlock that will be based around an installer for the less technical savvy.

Unlocking mobile phones for one's own use, for instance to place calls with a different carrier, appears to be legal under an exemption of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. However, the same may not be true for the specific steps taken by the iPhone Dev Team's unlocking solution, which has not been scrutinized in that regard.

Because the iPhone is GSM-based, U.S. consumers who unlock the phone will be limited in their alternative wireless carrier choices to just T-Mobile, the only other national GSM-based service provider outside of AT&T. Internationally, however, the unlocking solution would seem more compelling due to the proliferation of GSM-based networks and carriers overseas.

AppleInsider assumes no responsibility for any damage or legal issues caused by readers who install iUnlock, and is providing links to the downloadable files and associated tutorials strictly for information purposes. AppleInsider is also not linking directly to the iPhone Dev Team's wiki site in this article per its request that publications refrain from doing so out of server stability concerns. Readers can find the website easily by searching Google.

iUnlock application

-Giz Mirror (Associated Report)

iUnlock tutorials

-ModMyiPhone version

-Hackint0sh version

-FreeiPhoneUnlock version

-iphone.unlock.no version
  • Reply 9 of 39
    A update from Apple will render your phone useless.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Updates are at the discretion of the user. You do not have to update!
  • Reply 11 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eros View Post

Updates are at the discretion of the user. You do not have to update!

It would be silly to not update. A great deal of the promise of this phone IS the updates. What would be the point of eliminating one of the main reasons for purchasing the phone?

And, if you think that ATTs coverage sucks, you ain't seen nothin' until you're on T-Mobile. If you're lucky, you live in an area where they have decent coverage, but thats not widespread.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

A update from Apple will possibly render your phone useless.

Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And, if you think that ATTs coverage sucks, you ain't seen nothin' until you're on T-Mobile. If you're lucky, you live in an area where they have decent coverage, but thats not widespread.

No kidding. There are inexplicable T-Mobile dead zones all over the place in the major cities I've lived in and been to. Just like entire neighborhoods that for some reason don't get any service at all. The only benefit (and reason I don't have an iPhone) is that the price per minutes, if you make a lot of voice calls and SMS plans are a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

It would be silly to not update. A great deal of the promise of this phone IS the updates. What would be the point of eliminating one of the main reasons for purchasing the phone?

I think you'll find that the majority of people who will find this useful are those who live outside the US.

Like me.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

A update from Apple will render your phone useless.

We don't know. The last update did not disable the existing unlocks. Restore and update resiliency was one of the things some of the sites tested.

Quote:

I don't remember improvements being promised, and the updates so far didn't add anything that I remember. It's rare that I've seen product feature additions on updates. From Apple's iPod, I think it was limited to podcast support and game support.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Good one for the so-called hacking community. Apple should take note of the displeasure of being stuck with at&t by the community of iPhone users!
  • Reply 17 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    I've successfully used this tool and my phone now works on Fido/Rogers here in Canada. Though I can't figure out how to get EDGE to work. I'm using the settings from:

http://farhany.com/?p=97

It's probably because my account isn't set up for the EDGE network yet (I rarely used data on my old phone, and I don't think it used EDGE for data). I'll give Fido a call tonight and see.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    what would be interesting to know is if the iPhone will work with T-mobile's HotSpot at Home deal (basically they give you a wifi router so you make calls on wifi while at home and have FREE entry to any existing T-Mobile Hotspot. . . NICE!)
  • Reply 19 of 39
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Yes, I'm shouting.

Rocking the iPhone on Orange in the UK.

Hoo bloody RAH.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Fixed that for you.

From a reply from Apple in an update to that story:

"software updates will most likely break"