Briefly: iMac update, Brooklyn flagship, Touch in factory mode

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    oh wow I live in 718.



    represent!

  • Reply 22 of 40
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    That's a tough pick. Wiliamsburg is the really cool trendy area. Lots of Mac users. But not really a shopping destination.



    Downtown Brooklyn is most of the big money development is going on. And where most of the big new retail will go.



    Apple will probably wait it out and see what happens.



    The Racked blog from whence this rumor comes has odds for where an Apple store might touch down. Williamsburg's long.



    http://racked.com/archives/2007/09/1...gship.php#more
  • Reply 23 of 40
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    I wonder how one enters that supersecret test mode on Touch. By pressing it onto something and then turning it on? Maybe it's trained to recognize engineers' fingers and instantly drop into test mode.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Did anyone else notice that it has a thermometer?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulbow View Post


    Did anyone else notice that it has a thermometer?



    Most electronics do, but it is for internal temp, not to see how warm it is out (like it matters you are standing in that weather).



    I just want my touch SOOO bad! If I can get some bluetooth headsets, I would freaking flip.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    most devices do, my 4g iPod has one. I saw it when i was looking through its test mode. Restart, then hold menu and left, during the apple logo. That should send it into diagnostic mode.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post


    Who else gets a kick out of the Cheerios box for the serial number icon?



    I love that they do this and that they are let do this.



    I prefer Kix to Cheerios. Low in sugar but not in taste.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scampercom View Post


    Wait, I thought the iPod Touch didn't come with Bluetooth. So why would there even be an entry in the diagnostic control panel for Bluetooth? You don't test for things that aren't (and will never be) there, right?



    It must be Friday if no one else asking that. Or am I missing something?



    Yeah, you are missing something <g>. Any Mac with 10.3 and up has a creekload of Bluetooth apps and utilities, irrespective of the physical presence of a hardware piece. Why write a test app that has to know "Oh, this is an iPod xyyz, so it doesn't have x so I should hide it." -- It's much better to see that the systems knows about a service and doesn't have/use it, as opposed to one where there's just no info.



    Overall, don't sweat it.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    I guess in terms of cheap space it makes sense, but there's not much there compared to Downtown Brooklyn, Smith Street or Park Slope. Plus public transportation isn't as convenient as those three.

    Park Slope, with plenty of foot traffic and easy public transportation, would be the ideal choice; but the pyscho "don't develop Brooklyn" vegans would probably oppose the store, even though all the tree-huggers probably use a Mac.

    Red Hook, Smith Street or Dumbo, though they are the trendiest neighborhoods with hipster bars and sushi joints on every corner, aren't much of a shopping destination.

    I don't think Downtown Brooklyn will be a good choice because Apple's target market isn't shopping there.

    That's my take on it.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I'm hoping for Williamsburg since I used to live there and it holds a special place in my heart. However it is pretty hard to get around by bus/train. The same applies to DUMBO and Red Hook, but then again they are among the most interesting places in Brooklyn, and probably have the most likely areas to build a large store.

    Downtown, definitely no. Assuming that means either Atlantic Mall/Terminal or Fulton St.

    Park Slope, everyone owns a mac there but I think it'd be hard to build a store there as for the same reasons podpacker mentioned.

    The perfect place for me would be on Montague St, but again I don't think there's really any room for a flagship store.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post


    I just want my touch SOOO bad! If I can get some bluetooth headsets, I would freaking flip.



    I think wireless headphones would be really nice, and preferably without some potentially fragile dock connecting dongle. Bluetooth is out for now. I read people complaining that the A2DP standard is bad for audio quality though I've never personally tried it.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    [QUOTE=monkeyastronaut;1142937]impressive picture.





    Maybe Park Slope in Brooklyn, it is one of the upscale hoods. I don't think downtown next to Jr's Cheesecake, Williamsburg has the most iPod 20's somethings but the population is not dense enough.

    Soon there will be more Apple stores in NYC than Starbucks/
  • Reply 33 of 40
    I checked the rest of the images for this story on Gizmodo. I have to say this story is fake. The icons look very flat, as if they were printed on a color laser acetate and stuck on the Touch screen. Also, the Touch looks like the power is off. Notice there is no ambient light emanating from the screen or icons like it would if it were on. The background is very black like it would be if the power was off. There should be some noticeable glow from the screen if the power was on. Further, the Touch is presented on a light table to kind of throw you off. Check out images for the iPod Touch on PC or Macworld and you will see the "glow" I am talking about from the screen that clearly is not present on the Gizmodo images. They are just screwing with peoples heads.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haro! View Post


    The perfect place for me would be on Montague St, but again I don't think there's really any room for a flagship store.



    Yeah, Brooklyn Heights might make sense.



    I think the obvious choice, however, is DUMBO...
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOLSTICE1221 View Post


    I checked the rest of the images for this story on Gizmodo. I have to say this story is fake. The icons look very flat, as if they were printed on a color laser acetate and stuck on the Touch screen. Also, the Touch looks like the power is off. Notice there is no ambient light emanating from the screen or icons like it would if it were on. The background is very black like it would be if the power was off. There should be some noticeable glow from the screen if the power was on. Further, the Touch is presented on a light table to kind of throw you off. Check out images for the iPod Touch on PC or Macworld and you will see the "glow" I am talking about from the screen that clearly is not present on the Gizmodo images. They are just screwing with peoples heads.



    this makes sense, especially since they spelled speaker as "Speakor"

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Can I hear it for Bushwick?



    Nah, but ever since Borders backed out of the space at the bottom of One Hanson Place I've been thinking what a stunning flagship Apple could make out of it. 'Course it's probably way too much space for Apple to fill realistically.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post


    this makes sense, especially since they spelled speaker as "Speakor"



    I noticed that too- these images are absolutely fake. Apple is known for their GUI, even in test modes. Their UI engineers pour over pretty much everything, and I highly doubt that these would be the images that users could potentially trip across by triggering a test mode.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    ...so I ges I'll go to Man'atton an get me one a dese.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sloper View Post


    Can I hear it for Bushwick?



    Nah, but ever since Borders backed out of the space at the bottom of One Hanson Place I've been thinking what a stunning flagship Apple could make out of it. 'Course it's probably way too much space for Apple to fill realistically.



    Ah so I'm not the only one who had that thought cross their mind!
  • Reply 40 of 40
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unother View Post


    Yeah, Brooklyn Heights might make sense.



    I think the obvious choice, however, is DUMBO...



    Montague Street's a retail graveyard. Even the Gap failed there (or Banana Republic, whatever). DUMBO's cool enough but not a lot of foot traffic or retail gravity -- everything's a furniture store or rag shop there.



    Though I'd love to see it land in the Slope (where I live) I think an Atlantic Avenue location, near the Heights and Cobble Hill, would make the most sense. Near the new Trader Joe's: the demographic of shoppers overlaps, I suspect.
Sign In or Register to comment.