iPod touch tear-down with high-quality internal photos

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Now why would they be without a phone? Oh, I guess those that switched to AT&T did so without getting one of the FREE PHONES. That's their fault not Apples/AT&T. Remember that you can put the iPhone SIM card in another phone just not the other way around. So if they we're smart and got the free phone then they have a backup.

Um, what? For the people that had the forsight to switch to AT&T two years ago? Those "free" phones aren't.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Right, no blueteeth, and it also eems the design team left no room for an external volume +/- or mute or no facility on a nifty headset, like the iPhone, to change tracks etc. Curious to hear from those who are using the touch in daylight how easy it is to nav.

oh yeah, when will someone PLEASE make flash card slots to go along w/ battery slots? Is it me, or does 8/16GB seem like just enough to store 500 songs and your wedding reception cake cutting?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Don't you love how people can afford to rip apart a brand new product to the point where it most likely is unusable? Not to mention differently voiding the warranty Just glad it's not on my wallet!
  • Reply 24 of 40
    People were demanding this device as soon as the iPhone came out. Apple has with its introduction of the new iPods listened to the costumers for once (they were demanding a nano with video, check, a classic iPod with lots of storage, check, and a iPhone without the phone, check). Those empty spaces on the home screen will be used some day, heck it has MAC OS!!! Don't blame apple of finally delivering a choice in iPods, it's the best thing they did in a long while. If people keep on nagging this move, we will never see a mid tower or a ultra small computer from Apple. All revA problems will be sorted out.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Don't you love how people can afford to rip apart a brand new product to the point where it most likely is unusable? Not to mention differently voiding the warranty Just glad it's not on my wallet!

I think the point is that it can be reassembled. I think iFixit is known for selling iPod replacement parts.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Interesting...Toshiba flash.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kamjam View Post

oh yeah, when will someone PLEASE make flash card slots to go along w/ battery slots? Is it me, or does 8/16GB seem like just enough to store 500 songs and your wedding reception cake cutting?

Kinda like a replaceable battery...larger form factor for the door and such.

But with wireless, as long as you have the internet you can likely stream what you need and eventually resynch.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've never understood giving up your landline. When we had a power blackout here a few years ago, the cells quickly became inoperative. But, if you plugged a phone that didn't need separate connection to the power line, it would work just fine.

The same thing for VOIP. If your internet connection is down for whatever reason, so is your phone.

It's like insurance. you only need it when you need it. But when you need it, you need it, as Yogi would say.

I prefer using it when at home.

Not that land lines are bad...

But for most people mobile phones are just as reliable as land lines. The reason why many people ditch the land line? Money. If your mobile phone works 99.99% of the time, it isn't worth paying for a land line.

On top of that, now that i've got FIOS the land line no longer provides a fall-back in case of power outage. After the FOIS UPS in my basement is sucked dry, no more phone service. Yeah, that's right. I had em rip the copper clean off my house. I'm guessing the old lines dated from the 30s. They still had a party line filter in the basement. Mmmm, individually insulated conductors each a quarter inch across. Three to a twisted bundle.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

But for most people mobile phones are just as reliable as land lines. The reason why many people ditch the land line? Money. If your mobile phone works 99.99% of the time, it isn't worth paying for a land line.

On top of that, now that i've got FIOS the land line no longer provides a fall-back in case of power outage. After the FOIS UPS in my basement is sucked dry, no more phone service. Yeah, that's right. I had em rip the copper clean off my house. I'm guessing the old lines dated from the 30s. They still had a party line filter in the basement. Mmmm, individually insulated conductors each a quarter inch across. Three to a twisted bundle.

Things change. With FIOS, you've got a back-up that will last a few hours.

But, land lines are still, by far, the most reliable of all the services. Also, one of the cheapest, except for long distance.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:

Telephone service in some parts of Vermont could be at risk due to the massive April snow storm which caused continuing power outages.

Verizon spokeswoman Jill Wurm said that the company's land lines are dependent on electricity at substations to continue operating. Each substation is equipped with back-up batteries which can continue operating for between four and eight hours, but as parts of the state remain without power for longer periods crews must bring generators out to re-charge the batteries, she said

Cellular towers which provide coverage for mobile phones also rely on generators or battery power if utility power is lost.

Roughly 95 percent of the cellular sites Verizon Wireless has across New England have built-in generators which automatically kick in if commercial power is lost, Spokesman Mike Murphy said. Those generators power batteries, which can also be recharged with mobile generators in necessary, Murphy said.

"We anticipate being able to ride out the storm and continue to provide service," he said.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb.../70416006/1002

My FiOS runs more than 4-8 hours so in a regional as opposed to local blackout I have as much backup power as a normal land line. For a local blackout...I can buy my own generator if I feel the need and I have the FiOS UPS plugged into my own UPS (how I get more than 4-8 hours) because...what the heck, I need to power the Vonage router anyway. The FiOS, Vonage router and my wireless phone base station all sit on an UPS.

As far as recharging the cell phone I have 3 options: UPS, then car, then emergency radio with hand crank that trickle charges.

If I'm REALLY into disaster planning, I have a $30/month emergency contract and an Iridium phone. Of course the phone costs me a grand too. But for $360 a year and $1000 that gives me...I dunno...a reasonable expectation of being able to communicate even after a Katrina like event. Not many folks do that though. Heck not many keep 3 days worth of food and water. I sure don't. Food yes. Water depends on when the last time I bought a case of water was.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Things change. With FIOS, you've got a back-up that will last a few hours.

But, land lines are still, by far, the most reliable of all the services. Also, one of the cheapest, except for long distance.

I'm not sure if disagreeing or not.

I was responding to you're comment "I've never understood giving up your landline." My response wasn't an attempt to convince you to drop your land line, but to clue you in on why others have. Or perhaps you already understood.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

I'm not sure if disagreeing or not.

I was responding to you're comment "I've never understood giving up your landline." My response wasn't an attempt to convince you to drop your land line, but to clue you in on why others have. Or perhaps you already understood.

Sure. I know why they do. But, I'm not convinced that the time is ripe for it yet. In another five years, possibly. But cell service hasn't reached many outlying areas, and it may never reach them. VIOP is unreliable. as anything to do with the internet, will be.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

I've never understood giving up your landline. When we had a power blackout here a few years ago, the cells quickly became inoperative. But, if you plugged a phone that didn't need separate connection to the power line, it would work just fine.

For me, it's a matter of not getting the land line in the first place.

Cell towers should have power backup, I think they do in my area. I'm not sure what sort of power backup that phone systems need, but I'm pretty sure they too have finite resilience to major power outages, I'd think that eventually the power that runs the switches goes out.

Quote:

I prefer using it when at home.

I'd like to, but then I'd be paying two phone bills.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

For me, it's a matter of not getting the land line in the first place.

Cell towers should have power backup, I think they do in my area. I'm not sure what sort of power backup that phone systems need, but I'm pretty sure they too have finite resilience to major power outages, I'd think that eventually the power that runs the switches goes out.

Most cell towers that do have backup, have only enough for a few hours.

Of course, very few cell phone owners have any backup for their phones, so even if the towers continue to work for a while, their phones won't.

Quote:

I'd like to, but then I'd be paying two phone bills.

I don't mind the extra $33 a month I pay. It's unlimited calls, and time, in the local area codes, which covers most everyone I would need to speak to.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Sure. I know why they do. But, I'm not convinced that the time is ripe for it yet. In another five years, possibly. But cell service hasn't reached many outlying areas, and it may never reach them. VIOP is unreliable. as anything to do with the internet, will be.

That makes sense, but only if your goal is to come up with a blanket statement to characterize the entire market for phone service. In an effort to do this, it seems that you're questioning the rationality of people who have dropped their land line.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

That makes sense, but only if your goal is to come up with a blanket statement to characterize the entire market for phone service. In an effort to do this, it seems that you're questioning the rationality of people who have dropped their land line.

No. I'm not questioning their rationality. I may be questioning their rational.

The truth is that most people don't think the issue to its logical conclusion. They see what seems to be a good idea, and go with it.

Around the world, we here in the US have a reputation for going with whatever is both the cheapest, and easiest.

I'm not saying that applies to everyone, of course.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Wow, you've gone in so many negative directions.

Rest assured, it is best for some people to have a mobile but no land line.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Wow, you've gone in so many negative directions.

Rest assured, it is best for some people to have a mobile but no land line.

I try to be a realist. I could give reasons, but I doubt it would be useful on this forum.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

The numbers work out to 9,661.92 for the iTouch, and 11,889.72 for the iPhone, if the dimensions given are correct.

I don't know why my multiplication is off from theirs, assuming they used those dimensions to calculate from, but mine are correct.

Whether the battery dimensions were reversed, I don't know.

The difference could be because the batteries aren't perfectly cuboid. They have rounded edges.

Someone probably did a water displacement test or something!
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

The difference could be because the batteries aren't perfectly cuboid. They have rounded edges.

Someone probably did a water displacement test or something!

It's a pretty big difference. Rounding out the corners, for example, would result in possible a 1% change in volume.