Apple says it's not intentionally disabling unlocked iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Hey, Microsoft had done this for YEARS. It has a name. It's called FUD.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Whatever the case I think they need to be clear on what they have learned .... apparently they applied the update and something went south, they need to tell us exactly what we can have and what we can't , plain and simple. Can you imagine the bad publicity if thousands , if not tens of thousands of iPhones just got bricked!? I dont care if they issued a statement, warning, whatever you want to call it...the media would be all over that.. They need to stop resisting and work with these developers already to really make this phone what it can be.

I wouldn't expect any more on the problems because then Apple gets into a position of being liable if they said some things but not other things.

In any case, they've already told us what "we can have and what we can't":

1. You shouldn't modify iPhone software (per terms of use agreement).

2. You shouldn't unlock iPhone (per terms of use agreement).

3. You can deliver features to iPhone via Web 2.0 applications.

4. Apple will add features to iPhone itself via iTunes updates.

5. Any update to iPhone might cause unlocked iPhones to no longer work. Apple will not fix that problem under warranty.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    I'm sure everyone here clearly understands what Apple is saying. The people being argumentative seem to want to find some justification why Apple should actually purposefully support hacked phones through softwar updates. That's the part that's crazy. No one supports hacks.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Not intentionally, but also they're not willing to do anything about it, except "threaten" users who installed or considering to install "illegal" software an a device that has been fully paid for.

They aren't threatening anyone. They are simply stating facts.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

This will lead to a divide between people. You will either go with apple and restore your phone to factory conditions, get updates and rely on them for new features. OR you will go with the developers/hackers, rely on them to intoduce new features, and possibly be stuck in a 1.0.2 world (or wait for them to test update after update and say the coast is clear). I have no problem with them going againt people who hack unlocked the phone to be on a different carrier. It is money out of all thier pockets (and ours too as a matter of fact)...and its my opinion they have a right to do what they have to . I dont think they should discourge the developers however. These are the people who make the device what it is and what it will become. Look at all the cool new things you can do with your phone since it was released June 29th. People have hacked Apple products from the beginning of time, Woz was the founder of this principal ....its the way it has been and will always be. They have never had a problem with it before. Whatever the case I think they need to be clear on what they have learned .... apparently they applied the update and something went south, they need to tell us exactly what we can have and what we can't , plain and simple. Can you imagine the bad publicity if thousands , if not tens of thousands of iPhones just got bricked!? I dont care if they issued a statement, warning, whatever you want to call it...the media would be all over that.. They need to stop resisting and work with these developers already to really make this phone what it can be. BTW I wonder how many of these "developers" are actually Apple employees on the down low

Have you heard of paragraphs? It helps a lot.

They are talking about the unlockers, not the software developers.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Can you imagine the bad publicity if thousands , if not tens of thousands of iPhones just got bricked!?

There are certainly NOT tens of thousands of people with the time to install these hacks. Hackers are a small community of geeks with nothing but time on their hands.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I wouldn't expect any more on the problems because then Apple gets into a position of being liable if they said some things but not other things.

In any case, they've already told us what "we can have and what we can't":

1. You shouldn't modify iPhone software (per terms of use agreement).

2. You shouldn't unlock iPhone (per terms of use agreement).

3. You can deliver features to iPhone via Web 2.0 applications.

4. Apple will add features to iPhone itself via iTunes updates.

5. Any update to iPhone might cause unlocked iPhones to no longer work. Apple will not fix that problem under warranty.

Just for the heck of it, because it's here on my desk, I looked at my manual for my Canon 5D digital camera. One of the things it says is this:

"Do not make any changes or modifications to the equipment unless otherwise specified in the manual. If such changes or modifications should be made, you could be required to stop operation of the equipment."

This isn't even saying that it might not work. Canon might REQUIRE you to stop using it!
  • Reply 28 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Jobs probably hired OJ to make sure that every unlocked iphone is bricked after this update.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    The problem in Apple's case is, there is a clear history of hacking from the inception of the company, and current attitudes contrary to their company's DNA stick out like a sore pinky.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple has no clear history of insuring software updates do not break hacks. Apple has not said that we cannot hack, they've simply said they will not support it. And any damage that occurs they will not take responsibility for.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Stating for the record that Apple is not "proactively" doing something to undermine the hacksters smells like a proactive move to stem or defend against a class action lawsuit that will allege that they indeed intentionally harmed the iPhone.

Strikes me as a catch 22 situation. ATT may have to lower the pressure and accept the fact that their service is so bad that many people just want to have the functionality without their service.