Safari a focus of Apple's latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 build

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Crashes like crazy in Leopard. At least 10 times more than in Tiger (2.x).

What about the rest of Leopard?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I gave up on Safari in version 2. Crashed a little too much for me and lacked tabbed browsing. I will give version 3 a try but if it's not more stable than version 2, I'll be back to Camino.

What's up with the crashes and bad press ??

I've seldom (if any) have any crash in Safari. If you do, you must be using some sort of Application Enhancer plug-in (also nammed haxxies, like ShapeShifter) or some InputManagers. See if you have a folder called "InputManagers" in your Library or in the main Library folder. DIsable any active haxxies present in the "Application Enhancers" folder you may found in the same Library folders. Then try using Safari again.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

I dunno... the fact that it actually crashes a lot, maybe?

The latest version of the beta doesn't crash on me, but an earlier version of 3 did, and I wasn't running any non-standard add-ons or plug-ins like you mention. Guess that's why they call it 'beta'?

• Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

I've seldom (if any) have any crash in Safari. If you do, you must be using some sort of Application Enhancer plug-in (also nammed haxxies, like ShapeShifter) or some InputManagers. See if you have a folder called "InputManagers" in your Library or in the main Library folder. DIsable any active haxxies present in the "Application Enhancers" folder you may found in the same Library folders. Then try using Safari again.

I checked and didn't see a folder called 'InputManagers' in my Library.

Safari isn't the worst browser I've ever used. That would be IE 6 on windows.

But it still isn't as stable as camino. I've used Camino exclusively now for about 8 months. It has crashed on me twice in that time. Safari on the other hand would crash about once every 2 or 3 days. Not bad crashes where you have to reboot the computer to resume work, like IE 6 on windows sometimes. But unexpected quits or hangs that required force quits.

I also prefer the tabbed browsing in camino. I'm not a safari hater, but I do think camino is superior. At least compared to version 2 of safari.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    I wish they would stop referring to 10.4.11 as the final maintenance and security update to Tiger. For one thing, Apple has always continued to release security updates post-release of a new upgrade. There is no certainty people. Expect the unexpected.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Safari isn't the worst browser I've ever used. That would be IE 6 on windows.

Word. Such a huge POS that browser was/is.

• Reply 27 of 52
    Cool! Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world! In related news computer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard now report they have 23,001 outlets in the US alone - plus they're not bound to a specific OS. "Sales are GREAT!" say HP representatives. An Apple representative who insisted on anonymity commented as well. "We have our margins and we're comfortable there. We will soon have 200 outlets of our own and a number of resellers - how few we are not going to disclose."

Go Apple!
  • Reply 28 of 52
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What about the rest of Leopard?

Networking (LAN) on the new Finder is awesome. No more spinning, no more delays, no more slow iDisk.

Any folder can be shared and you can see who has what sharing privileges in a table of folders and users and privileges.

Despite rumors to the contrary, QuartzGL (formerly called Quartz2D Extreme) is in there and does work.

Quick Look for documents, images and movies works great and really saves a lot of time. Writing a QuickLook plugin for one's particular custom file format is very simple also.

Drag and drop to spring-loaded folders in the Dock !!!!!!

Mail's To-Do lists make having to go to iCal obsolete. The notes feature makes saving random TextEdit files with snippets of stuff obsolete.

I am more interested in the stuff under the hood, and can't wait to have time to really use Xcode 3.0 with Objective-C 2.0 and garbage collection, loops, properties, and factoring.

The new Core Text system is blazing fast.

Nothing crashed on me except Safari 3.0.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Cool! Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world! In related news computer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard now report they have 23,001 outlets in the US alone - plus they're not bound to a specific OS. "Sales are GREAT!" say HP representatives. An Apple representative who insisted on anonymity commented as well. "We have our margins and we're comfortable there. We will soon have 200 outlets of our own and a number of resellers - how few we are not going to disclose."

Go Apple!

Yaaawwwwnnnnnnn.

• Reply 30 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Networking (LAN) on the new Finder is awesome. No more spinning, no more delays, no more slow iDisk.

Any folder can be shared and you can see who has what sharing privileges in a table of folders and users and privileges.

Despite rumors to the contrary, QuartzGL (formerly called Quartz2D Extreme) is in there and does work.

Quick Look for documents, images and movies works great and really saves a lot of time. Writing a QuickLook plugin for one's particular custom file format is very simple also.

Drag and drop to spring-loaded folders in the Dock !!!!!!

Mail's To-Do lists make having to go to iCal obsolete. The notes feature makes saving random TextEdit files with snippets of stuff obsolete.

I am more interested in the stuff under the hood, and can't wait to have time to really use Xcode 3.0 with Objective-C 2.0 and garbage collection, loops, properties, and factoring.

The new Core Text system is blazing fast.

Nothing crashed on me except Safari 3.0.

Sounds good.

All references to Rez Ind. removed?
  • Reply 31 of 52
    I haven't had any crashing problems with Safari 3, but I do run out of memory if I have multiple tabs open and leave Safari running in the background. Especially when 'm running NetNewswire and opening stories in Safari for later reading.

FWIW, iTunes also seems to have a memory leak when I use cover flow for any extended period of time.

BTW, does anyone know how to get rid of the brushed metal skin in Safari 3? Not my favorite look.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

BTW, does anyone know how to get rid of the brushed metal skin in Safari 3? Not my favorite look.

Safari 3 should have a gradient matte grey. At least it does on Windows and Leopard. Uno is the inly app I know of that removes any brushed metal look.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Safari 3 should have a gradient matte grey. At least it does on Windows and Leopard. Uno is the inly app I know of that removes any brushed metal look.

Under Tiger it is still brushed metal.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

But it still isn't as stable as camino. I've used Camino exclusively now for about 8 months. It has crashed on me twice in that time. Safari on the other hand would crash about once every 2 or 3 days. Not bad crashes where you have to reboot the computer to resume work, like IE 6 on windows sometimes. But unexpected quits or hangs that required force quits.

Thank you. I can't comprehend why anyone uses Firefox on Macs when Camino is available. It's much more lightweight and Mac-like, but incredibly fast and stable compared to Safari.

Quote:

I gave up on Safari in version 2. Crashed a little too much for me and lacked tabbed browsing. I will give version 3 a try but if it's not more stable than version 2, I'll be back to Camino.

Huh?? Safari 2 has always had tabbed browsing.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Huh?? Safari 2 has always had tabbed browsing.

Safari has a bookmark bar. I don't really consider it tabbed browsing as when you click on the link the page has to open. In camino all tabs are opened and update in the background. Switching between them is instantaneous.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thank you. I can't comprehend why anyone uses Firefox on Macs when Camino is available. It's much more lightweight and Mac-like, but incredibly fast and stable compared to Safari.

But does it allow for all those nifty plug-ins that people seem to like with Firefox? I don't use them, but I can see how they can be useful to others.

I do wish Safari would include the feature to open up the previous page after a crash like Firefox.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Hopefully the next version won't need a gig of RAM alone.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

Safari has a bookmark bar. I don't really consider it tabbed browsing as when you click on the link the page has to open. In camino all tabs are opened and update in the background. Switching between them is instantaneous.

What you're saying makes no sense. What does the bookmark bar have to do with tabs? "Click on the link and the page has to open"? That's the most generic thing you could say about any web browser on the planet.. how does that not apply to Camino, and again, what has it got to do with tabs? And what's this about "the background"? Switching between tabs is quicker in Camino, as Safari in general seems to be slower, but that doesn't change the fact that it has tabbed browsing. I can't see any significant difference between the two where tabs are concerned other than the fact that the Camino devs were decent enough to provide an optional "New Tab" toolbar button.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

What you're saying makes no sense. What does the bookmark bar have to do with tabs? "Click on the link and the page has to open"? That's the most generic thing you could say about any web browser on the planet.. how does that not apply to Camino, and again, what has it got to do with tabs? And what's this about "the background"? Switching between tabs is quicker in Camino, as Safari in general seems to be slower, but that doesn't change the fact that it has tabbed browsing. I can't see any significant difference between the two where tabs are concerned other than the fact that the Camino devs were decent enough to provide an optional "New Tab" toolbar button.

Safari 2 has a bookmark bar. Is that what you refer to as tabbed browsing? Nowhere in Safari is the word tab. There is no menu that has the 'open as tab' command. Are you talking about version 2 or 3 of safari? Safari version 3 is supposed to have tabbed browsing.

In camino I can open multiple links(web pages) at once and switch between them. That is what I refer to as tabbed browsing. The pages update in the background.

The bottom line is that in safari only one link or web page can be open at a time (version 2). In camino I have multiple web pages opened at the same time and can switch between them. Tabbed browsing.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:

Safari 2 has a bookmark bar. Is that what you refer to as tabbed browsing? Nowhere in Safari is the word tab. There is no menu that has the 'open as tab' command. Are you talking about version 2 or 3 of safari? Safari version 3 is supposed to have tabbed browsing.

In camino I can open multiple links(web pages) at once and switch between them. That is what I refer to as tabbed browsing. The pages update in the background.

The bottom line is that in safari only one link or web page can be open at a time (version 2). In camino I have multiple web pages opened at the same time and can switch between them. Tabbed browsing.

Uh.. dude. You need to take a look at Safari 2. Yes, I'm talking about 2, not 3, I'm talking regular Tiger Safari. Open it up, hit Command-T or look in the File menu. It's right there, "New Tab". Or right-click on a link and select "Open Link in New Tab.." c'mon dude, pay attention!

The only thing Safari 3 adds is the ability to rearrange the tabs or create new windows from them by dragging. But the tabs themselves have been there for more than two years.