Roommate is a jerk

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Ok, so i really want to handle this the right way because i have to live with this guy for the rest of the year, but at the same time i want this resolved.

My roommate is rather wealthy and has contributed alot to the dorm room. I would of had no problem paying for my half of the stuff (such as mini fridge, futon, etc.) but he is a sophmore so he has it all from his freshman year.

I have only seen him hangout/ talk to one friend and i don't think he has anyother friends and is not much of a people person beause hes a snobby ass. This give you an idea of the guy that im dealing with.

The Issue:

Since Halo 3 has come out, he has been very greedy about sharing his tv. All he does is play Halo and feels like he can kick me off of his tv whenever he wants to. It is his TV and xbox 360, so i understand where he feels like he has that right, but at the beginning of the semester we filled out a roommate agreement that states that the "entertainment" area is equal to both of us. Ive contributed the ps2, nintendo, etc. The reason this is such a big issue is because with him kicking me off like he is, he essentially has control of our entertainment/living room (we have a suite, so we have a area for sleeping and a "living room" area). I have my own tv, but its on my desk and when he takes over the entertainment room, it forces me into my corner.

I don't feel like this is fair at all and if its necessary, i would be more than happy to say "get your crap on your side of the room and ill get mine on my side and we wont interact or use each others stuff at all." If he is going to hog his stuff, he can't keep it in neutral space.

Is seperating the room and being selfish the answer?

How should i approach him about the situation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    From the subject I thought that you had a serious problem like he was urinating in the sink, vomiting on your stuff or servicing sweaty, un-showered skanks in your bed. .
  • Reply 2 of 34
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Is the TV chained to your desk? Put it on top of his TV for goodness sakes. Big deal!

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 34
    its kind of a big deal when youre stuck with him for a year.

as for putting the tv next to his, i'm trying to keep this arguement friendly (as hes a stubborn ass and i dont want to deal with that anymore than i have to) and i could easily push back, but i'd rather do this the right way

thanks,

Cato
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Set up a TV sharing schedule is the only way to deal with this. If he doesn't like that then set up a living room sharing schedule and tell him he needs to move his TV to his room to play video games if he wants to. Then put your TV (which you're willing to share according to the schedule" in the living room or buy a new one.

ok thanks... thats more reasonable
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

ok thanks... thats more reasonable

buy an 80 inch plasma screen tv and an xbox 360 along with halo 3 and play it in your room real loud.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    My! We have become a nation of whiners. What a culture.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

How should i approach him about the situation.

Do what you are there to do and stop wasting time and energy on him.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Lets see, we have "you don't really have a problem", "buy a big ass plasma", "negotiate", "put your TV on top of his", "stop whining" and "start studying".

So I'm going to have to go with "garrote him in his sleep and sell his organs on Ebay", because I think you should have a range of options.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    If only I had problems like yours... \
  • Reply 10 of 34
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpcMs View Post

If only I had problems like yours... \

Seriously.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Lets see, we have "you don't really have a problem", "buy a big ass plasma", "negotiate", "put your TV on top of his", "stop whining" and "start studying".

So I'm going to have to go with "garrote him in his sleep and sell his organs on Ebay", because I think you should have a range of options.

haha i concur. ( obviously not spelled right.)
  • Reply 12 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    So yeah...this does not qualify as a roommate problem. When you come back to your room and your roommate has TAKEN YOUR FRIDGE to the next room for a party, that's a roommate problem.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

its kind of a big deal when youre stuck with him for a year.

as for putting the tv next to his, i'm trying to keep this arguement friendly (as hes a stubborn ass and i dont want to deal with that anymore than i have to) and i could easily push back, but i'd rather do this the right way

thanks,

Cato

I wouldn't divide the room in two. That will only make things worse for you.

I like going back to the original agreement - sharing the living room. He doesn't get to use the living room more just because it's full of his swag. Maybe you should tell him in a humorous way, like drop him a note telling him that because you are using your PS2 so much you are concerned that that's cutting into his equal use of the living room. Tell him you're sorry for that and that you will not kick him off your PS2 even though it's yours, and will try to be a more equitable roommate. And tell him if he is ever concerned that you are monopolizing the living room, to immediately say something to you since it is important to you that he feels just as comfortable in it as you do.

(He will understand the irony, won't he?)
  • Reply 14 of 34
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    It's called property rights. Don't use his television. Get a new room mate. Talk to the RA and get on with your life and education.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 15 of 34
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I am so happy I never had a roommate.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

thank you adda... i needed some range
  • Reply 17 of 34
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    If he has not yet turned to getting stoned and stealing your Hot Pockets, to the degree that you have had to put a padlock on your freezer, then you have no real problem... yet.

Ask me... and BTW, only two of the padlocks at Lowes will work on a Micro-Fridge.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

The Issue:

Since Halo 3 has come out...

Perhaps it should be pointed out that he may tire of Halo in a few weeks and begin playing it less. I say just ride it out. Or, better yet, join his campaign. But it's a new game, and it should be obvious that he's going to want to play it every waking hour for the first while.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Play on your own TV and move it out of the corner into a more prominent position in the room immediately after he kicks you off his TV. Say nothing, just go do it.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southside grabowski View Post

My! We have become a nation of whiners. What a culture.

I agree here. You have your own TV, get your Ps2 and Nintendo consoles and hook them to it. That says "fuck off" nicely. Either that or turn off your TV, go outside and hang out with your friends or read a book...or something.

Follow tonton's or Aries 1B's...I did. I had a roommate who had a trail of ants crawling from the floor to his garbage ridden bed. He was gone in a week.