The Real Reason to Sue Apple in a Class Action.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Please don't flame me, I am an iphone owner who has come to some conclusions regarding the expectations set by Steve Jobs and the actual product. The Iphone was compared to a smartphone in the Steve Jobs Keynote. It was actually compared to 4 smartphones. There is no way this phone is a smart phone for the following reasons:

1. No file system

2. No way to add local apps.

3. No cut and paste

4. No to do list function.

5. No tethering paid for or not.

6. No adding internet plug-ins to Safari

7. No way to edit word and excel files

8. No video recording

9. No way to safely unlock the device and avoid $2 overseas roaming.

10. No internet messaging client

11. No games(picky I know, but what phone does not have a single game?)

Steve Jobs of APPLE MISLEAD BY COMPARING THE IPHONE TO SMARTPHONES. The iphone is a beautiful device that contains a video ipod with a regular phone. Even if we were to compare the phone function to a regular phone we would be missing many functions.

I think the Iphone is like a supermodel girlfriend she will let you buy her anything(ie roaming charges, itunes), but she not very open minded in bed(not a smartphone, no unlocking).

Henry.

P.S Definition of smartphone according to Wikipedia:

"A smartphone is a full-featured mobile phone with personal computer like functionality. Most smartphones are cellphones that support full featured email capabilities with the functionality of a complete personal organizer. An important feature of most smartphones is that applications for enhanced data processing and connectivity can be installed on the device,[1] in contrast to regular phones which support sandboxed applications"

**AND**

"Smartphones can be noted by several features which include, but are not limited to, touchscreen, operating system, and tethered modem capabilities on top of the default phone characteristics. Full-fledged email support seems to be a characteristic key defining feature found in all existing and announced smartphones as of 2007. Most smartphones also allow the user to install extra software, even from third party sources, but some phones vendors like to refer to their phones as "smartphones" even without this feature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

The Iphone is 'sandboxed' like a typical non-smart cell phone, but probably worse in that it cannot even be reversed with some low risk hacking.

BTW I am not trolling, I am serious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heny Woodward View Post

I am an iphone owner who has come to some conclusions regarding the expectations set by Steve Jobs and the actual product. The Iphone was compared to a smartphone in the Steve Jobs Keynote. It was actually compared to 4 smartphones. There is no way this phone is a smart phone for the following reasons:

1. No file system

3. No cut and paste

8. No video recording

10. Feel free to add to this list.

Steve Jobs of APPLE MISLEAD BY COMPARING THE IPHONE TO SMARTPHONES. The iphone is a beautiful device that contains a video ipod with a regular phone. Even if we were to compare the phone function to a regular phone we would be missing many functions.

You are completely correct with 90% of what you stated above. The real question is are the features you are talking about going to come to the iPhone very soon. This is just software changes on the most part any many of these features will come in the form of firmware upgrades.

As for 3rd party apps you will see those also they are going to be sold within iTunes and controlled by Apple.

So by the time your case gets to a court it will not hold water anymore. This is a new device for Apple and I like you would love to see everything right now but that is just not going to happen.

Just wait and you will have many new toys to use on your iPhone this I am sure of.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    I think you have an excellent idea I believe there are like-minded individuals here that will join you in your attempts to correct the travesty that was the iPhone keynote. You have found a home AND a group of people I'm sure will follow you to victory against those who dare defy the gospel according to Wikipedia. All this after only one post! Your display of intellect is inspiring to many, I am sure. I know you inspired me.

Your mind is like a supermodel girlfriend in that your vacuous display is both amazing and impressive...in bed.

I salute you.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

The Iphone was compared to a smartphone in the Steve Jobs Keynote. It was actually compared to 4 smartphones.

How can Apple be held legally liable for meeting generalized expectations for a vaguely defined product category? I'd love to have a lot of the features that you want too -- and I'd love to see hacks to make those possible -- but Apple made it pretty clear to consumers what an iPhone could and could not do.

If you bought an iPhone actually expecting all (or even most) of the things some other smartphones do, you weren't paying attention and Apple can hardly be blamed for that.

BTW, I discovered that I can take the SIM card out of my iPhone, put it in my old Windows Mobile 5 smartphone, and everything still works, including web, e-mail, and tethering via Bluetooth. It's good to know that the locking of a SIM card to the iPhone doesn't effect the ability of that SIM to work well in other phones.

For the most part, I'm happy with the iPhone can do, even with its large and apparent limitations. When it comes to web browsing on the phone, it's got other phones beat by a mile. But I sometimes toy with the idea of buying a new, unlocked Windows Mobile or Linux Smartphone, and swapping the SIM card to whichever phone best suits my needs at a given time.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Does the Iphone even do 100% of what one of them does?

Henry
  • Reply 5 of 35
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

BTW I am not trolling

• Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Steve Jobs compared the Iphone to 4 smartphones in his Iphone keynote

Does the Iphone even do 100% of what one of them does?

Do any of those other phones do 100% of what any of the others do? Each one is its own mix of pros and cons.

Did Steve Jobs every say, "The iPhone does everything all of these other phones do, and MORE!"?

It's not like I have a transcript of the keynote in front of me, but I certainly don't remember any such claim being made, and I'm pretty sure I remember Jobs talking about some of the things the phone doesn't do as well.

What else could you compare an iPhone to? The iPhone is kind of its own thing, but that's the closest product category out there. It may have fewer features, and different features, than some smartphones, but it's well ahead of a generic, basic phone, and does some things that other smartphones do better than they do it.

If you think merely comparing the iPhone to other smartphones represents some kind of implied guarantee of feature parity, you're dreaming. A car company could advertise a car by comparing it to four different boats, but unless you could prove deliberate intent to deceive buyers into thinking the car was seaworthy, you wouldn't have a very strong case if you stupidly buy the car, throw it in the water, and decide to sue the manufacturer because the car didn't float.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Do any of those other phones do 100% of what any of the others do? Each one is its own mix of pros and cons.

Did Steve Jobs every say, "The iPhone does everything all of these other phones do, and MORE!"?

It's not like I have a transcript of the keynote in front of me, but I certainly don't remember any such claim being made, and I'm pretty sure I remember Jobs talking about some of the things the phone doesn't do as well.

What else could you compare an iPhone to? The iPhone is kind of its own thing, but that's the closest product category out there. It may have fewer features, and different features, than some smartphones, but it's well ahead of a generic, basic phone, and does some things that other smartphones do better than they do it.

If you think merely comparing the iPhone to other smartphones represents some kind of implied guarantee of feature parity, you're dreaming. A car company could advertise a car by comparing it to four different boats, but unless you could prove deliberate intent to deceive buyers into thinking the car was seaworthy, you wouldn't have a very strong case if you stupidly buy the car, throw it in the water, and decide to sue the manufacturer because the car didn't float.

In the Keynote Jobs says its smarter than those smartphones. It would be nice if the Iphone had every **major** feature of just **one** of those smartphones.

I think the question is the Iphone is smartphone is good one. The discussion on Wikipedia under the title smartphone is pretty torn on the subject. I think the killing of 3rd party of apps helps push the Iphone into the non-smartphone category. Perhaps Steve oversold the phone in the keynote.

Henry
  • Reply 8 of 35
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Henry, being dissatisfied with a product is all you need to justify not buying it. You don't need to quote a non-authoritative Wiki article.

If your research of a product is so comprehensive that you monitored the keynote introduction, then you surely know the capabilities or lack thereof.

Apple has delivered on every promise they have made. There's no obligation on their part to meet any expectation you might have for promises you would have liked them to have made.

I can understand and even empathize with anyone who has a "wish list" for what they would like to see incorporated into the iPhone. There are wishes I have for it, too. That said, I really have little ability to tolerate some of the responses people have because Apple didn't meet their expectation with this product. Wishing for the product to fail or wishing for the company to be punished because it doesn't meet your expectation is juvenile.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

I think the question is the Iphone is smartphone is good one. The discussion on Wikipedia under the title smartphone is pretty torn on the subject. I think the killing of 3rd party of apps helps push the Iphone into the non-smartphone category. Perhaps Steve oversold the phone in the keynote.

None of this rises to the level of being a valid reason for a class action lawsuit, however. All this amounts to is reason for you to not buy an iPhone yourself, if you think it's so terrible at meeting your expectations for a "true" smartphone. There is in no way, shape or form anywhere near the level of deception you'd have to prove in a court of law to hold Apple liable for somehow tricking people into buying a product that you can claim doesn't live up to Apple's own representation of the capabilities of that product.

It is utterly routine advertising practice for Company A to compare its product with products from Companies B, C, and D, restricting their comparison to those features and specs which make their product shine, leaving out any potentially negative comparisons. It's totally up to the consumer, if that consumer has a desire for a specific feature or level of quality, to investigate such things for him- or herself before making a purchase.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Please don't flame me, I am an iphone owner who has come to some conclusions regarding the expectations set by Steve Jobs and the actual product. The Iphone was compared to a smartphone in the Steve Jobs Keynote..

First off, it's iPhone, not iphone nor Iphone. While this may seem a mute point, it's does show the ability to differentiate. Second, comparing something to something else does in no way say they are the same nor does it imply they do the same things. OK?

Apple showed what the iPhone could do and what it didn't do way before it even went on sale.

Lack of research, inability to differentiate and taking no responsibility for one's own actions, I'm afraid, is not the fault of others.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Good argument, not. Please don't do that.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    No the iPhone is not a Smartphone IMO, but it is an extremely cool and desirable phone with lots of potential. Frankly.. phone, email and Safari are enough for me. Funny that the browser pwns ever other phone browser around, isn't it? Still, there is major room for improvement. No. 1, cut & paste. Two, native 3rd party apps (which are a dead cert.), 3, 16GB storage. and so on and so fourth. I am looking forward to see how the iPhone evolves, but Apple has made some terrible mistakes so far. Interesting times indeed.

Try call me a fanboy now
  • Reply 13 of 35
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The idea of a class action lawsuit over this is absolutely ridiculous.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The idea of a class action lawsuit over this is absolutely ridiculous.

There is some serious crazy on the boards lately.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There is some serious crazy on the boards lately.

The iphone is not a smartphone. If you can add reasons why it is then post them, if you are not capable of having a reasoned discussion, then toss your insults.

-Henry
  • Reply 16 of 35
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

The iphone is not a smartphone. If you can add reasons why it is then post them, if you are not capable of having a reasoned discussion, then toss your insults.

-Henry

You gave the link yourself defining what a smartphone is define as:

Definition

Smartphones can be noted by several features which include, but are not limited to, touchscreen, operating system, and tethered modem capabilities on top of the default phone characteristics. Full-fledged email support seems to be a characteristic key defining feature found in all existing and announced smartphones as of 2007. Most smartphones also allow the user to install extra software, even from third party sources, but some phones vendors like to refer to their phones as "smartphones" even without this feature.

Smartphone features tend to include Internet access, e-mail access, scheduling software, built-in camera, contact management, accelerometers and some navigation software as well as occasionally the ability to read business documents in a variety of formats such as PDF and Microsoft Office. Many smartphones today also include media software for playing music, browsing photos and viewing video clips, as well as interent (web) browsers.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

-Henry

Your thread title is "The Real Reason to Sue Apple in a Class Action Suit". If you want to have a reasoned discussion then don't start threads with patently ludicrous titles.

If you want to have a chat about what "Smart Phone" actually means, and whether or not the iPhone meets such a definition, and (most importantly), whether or not a marketing term ought to be the metric of anything at all, than by all means make that clear, minus the silly, some might say loony, intimations of litigation.

You sure are a puffed up little thing for being brand new to these boards.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Please don't flame me, I am an iphone owner who has come to some conclusions regarding the expectations set by Steve Jobs and the actual product. The Iphone was compared to a smartphone in the Steve Jobs Keynote. It was actually compared to 4 smartphones. There is no way this phone is a smart phone for the following reasons:

1. No file system

3. No cut and paste

8. No video recording

10. Feel free to add to this list.

I think the Iphone is like a supermodel girlfriend she will let you buy her anything(ie roaming charges, itunes), but she not very open minded in bed(not a smartphone, no unlocking).

Henry.

P.S Definition of smartphone according to Wikipedia:

"A smartphone is a full-featured mobile phone with personal computer like functionality. Most smartphones are cellphones that support full featured email capabilities with the functionality of a complete personal organizer. An important feature of most smartphones is that applications for enhanced data processing and connectivity can be installed on the device,[1] in contrast to regular phones which support sandboxed applications"

**AND**

"Smartphones can be noted by several features which include, but are not limited to, touchscreen, operating system, and tethered modem capabilities on top of the default phone characteristics. Full-fledged email support seems to be a characteristic key defining feature found in all existing and announced smartphones as of 2007. Most smartphones also allow the user to install extra software, even from third party sources, but some phones vendors like to refer to their phones as "smartphones" even without this feature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

The Iphone is 'sandboxed' like a typical non-smart cell phone, but probably worse in that it cannot even be reversed with some low risk hacking.

BTW I am not trolling, I am serious.

Thats complete rubbish, whats next: Nokia N95/N93 customers suing Nokia for not giving them "true DVD like recording". Jyst admit you fell prey to the hype like everyone else.

Sue Jobs becasuse it doesnt incorprate all the features you would expected? As I said to someone else on here not too long ago the specs of the iphone were known well before launch yet most people were happy to buy into the fantasy that Apple would solve everything via a firmware update. At the end of the day if you didnt like it then you shouldnt have bought it.

I dont think anyone on here has moaned more than me about the lack of video recording but ill still be getting one. Its just something you have to get used to.

For example itunes is still the only way to transfer music to an ipod and thats always been the same so dont expect Apple to change anything for the iphone. Its a crying shame Jobs left out those features you mention and the fact you Americans are moaning on here leaves me thinking what on earth are my fellow Europeans going to think of it as we most definatley have higher expectations of a mobile phone. I wouldnt want to see the iphone fall flat on its face in Europe but I hope at the same time Steve Jobs does acknowledge the fact that he had left out so many features that would otherwise be standard.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Its a crying shame Jobs left out those features you mention and the fact you Americans are moaning on here leaves me thinking what on earth are my fellow Europeans going to think of it as we most definatley have higher expectations of a mobile phone. .

I think the statement above about Europeans could be true (ie cell phone selection in Europe and Asia is amazing), but considering the number of innovations in mobile phones that come from USA and Canada, there is good chance it is incorrect.

Some of the contributions to mobile phones from North America: Blackberry is from Canada, Windows Mobile software is from Redmond, WA, USA, CDMA is from California, USA, iPhone is an innovative mobile device, Palm OS, etc.

The point of the thread title "The real reason to sue Apple" was to contrast the inability of the iPhone to live up to the claim of being "smarter" than a smartphone(by Jobs in the Keynote) and the other reasons Apple is being sued ie Battery and unlocking. Maybe I should have put that thought in my first post.

I am definitely a victim of the hype and innovations, without examining what was missing before I bought, however "jobs" claiming a phone missing this many features is a smartphone, is somewhat misleading.

Having to put emails with attachments into my sent box, just so I can save an attachment is really pathetic. I think a smartphone should be much less "sandboxed" and much more open to personal customization than the iPhone.

The iPhone's development seems extremely focused on being a device to be force fed Apple and ATT services.

I seldom buy a cell phone purely for the "cool" factor, the list of cool cell phones I have never purchased is extremely long. I have however purchased atleast 6 different "smartphones" XDA, XDA II, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Nokia 9XXX, Kyocera Palm based Smartphone. Having a personal computer in the palm of hand is just amazing, but the iPhone is more of a "computerized device or appliance" than a personal computer mostly for the inability to add apps.

The Iphone is a very cool, innovative, ipod and mobile phone. But a smartphone?

Add to my list in my first post no internet messaging client and not a single game!

-Henry
  • Reply 20 of 35
    duplicate