Briefly: Apple stores to land in Brooklyn, Washington DC areas

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is planning its first Brooklyn store as well as an outlet at the heart of Washington DC, according to separate reports.

Paper: first Brooklyn store in progress

An alleged source speaking with the New York Post claims that representatives for Madison Retail Group have been negotiating space for a retail Apple store within The Edge, a new condominium property within the Williamsburg neighborhood inside New York's Brooklyn borough.

Like previous Apple stores, the retail front has reportedly been chosen for the amount of expected nearby traffic: the facilities would line Kent Avenue and should border on the shopping district of North 6th Street and its eventual connection to a water taxi, the Post's reporter Lois Weiss said.

While it would be the second Apple retail location outside of Manhattan -- which is already set to receive its fourth store -- the unnamed source said that the store would be in line with one of Apple's mid-sized stores rather than a flagship. Madison has purportedly been negotiating for a corner space that would occupy between 3,000 and 5,000 square feet at $60 to $100 per foot.

Neither property owner Douglaston Development nor its retail contractor Greenstone Realty were able to comment on the report. Any future stores would not be ready for some time, however, as none of the leasing companies would have possession for one more year.

Deal potentially struck for first Washington, DC store

Meanwhile, the Washington Business Journal has suggested that Apple hopes to build its first Apple store within the Georgetown area of America's capital.

Citing an anonymous source that was reportedly close to the deal, the Journal said Apple had bought 1229 Wisconsin Avenue Northwest on September 27th after months of negotiating the terms of the deal with the landowner, Princeton Investment Corporation. Clothing store French Connection has occupied the space for the past 12 years.

Previous reports from ifo Apple Store would have had Apple replace the well-known Nathan's Restaurant location south of the French Connection shop.

The move would signal Apple's first intent to set up shop within the District of Columbia itself. Apple retail outlets have ringed the outskirts of Washington since the earliest days of Apple's retail initiative, with one of the earliest stores launching in Tyson's Corner in 2001. Later efforts have included Bethesda, Maryland and even the Pentagon City area in Arlington.

No timeframe was given for when Apple could first occupy the location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    "While it would be the first Apple retail location outside of Manhattan "

Forgetting Staten Island are we?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Why is the title just a period?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Why is the title just a period?

Fixed that.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Actually Tyson's Corner was THE first store - not one of the first. It opened 3 hours before Glendale.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBracy View Post

Actually Tyson's Corner was THE first store - not one of the first. It opened 3 hours before Glendale.

I have a T-Shirt. I know there are also a few stores in Bethesda. It sounds like this one is going up in the "business district." It has been a long time since I lived in DC, but it's certainly likely that if Apple were to put a store in downtown DC, they would put it where the story indicates. There's a lot of foot traffic in that area.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I know there are also a few stores in Bethesda.

Within a short drive or Metro ride of DC there's already seven stores: Annapolis, Columbia, Clarendon, Pentagon City, Tysons Corner, and two in Bethesda. None of which are to the South East. DC is a frighteningly divided city.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Within a short drive or Metro ride of DC there's already seven stores: Annapolis, Columbia, Clarendon, Pentagon City, Tysons Corner, and two in Bethesda. None of which are to the South East. DC is a frighteningly divided city.

The only city I can think of that doesn't have a seedy part is San Francisco, and that's only because there's Oakland. Are you from the DC area? No native would call Annapolis or Columbia a "short drive." Honestly, I can't say it's "frighteningly divided." Really, it's a very normal city that happens to house a lot of federal government. The east side is certainly less economically sound than the west side, but NE isn't so bad (and improving) and SE is small, plus much of the SE land is occupied by the world's largest sewage treatment plant. That has an affect on land value. Anyway, unless you have a social solution that makes everyone rich, I can't agree that DC is "frighteningly" divided.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    It would be nice to have a few more Apple stores in the UK. \
  • Reply 9 of 16
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Are you from the DC area? No native would call Annapolis or Columbia a "short drive."

Heh...the beltway has gotten worse...Columbia might be 20-30 min drive from anything touching 95N (non-beltway part) or 29 (ie suburbs north of the city). If your route includes the beltway then any trip is 20 min even on a weekend. There's usually a slowdown somewhere. "Short Drive" is now a very relative given how badly traffic sucks. We're #2 behind LA.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Are you from the DC area? No native would call Annapolis or Columbia a "short drive." Honestly, I can't say it's "frighteningly divided."

From where I live in Virginia, it's a 2-hour drive to the closest Apple store. So anyone in DC has a short drive compared to the majority of the rest of VA. I really wish Apple wouldn't insist on sticking to ONLY major cities for their stores.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    i am sorry i dont think williamsburg is a good location for a store. it's only accessible from one good subway (the L) ... and one crappy one (the G). they can easily take the train into the stores in mahnattan... it's not like apple is losing any business. plus wiliamsburg is only hipsters. they don't need their own apple store. a williamsburg store wouldn't be serving any of the surrounding areas.

apple should be making a store in borum hill... on atlantic... a trader joes is coming in there... then you have the BDMNQR2345 suways, long island RR, plus you would be serving park slope. carrol gardens, downtown brooklyn, etc....
  • Reply 12 of 16
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The Georgetown location is a good one. Trendy, lots of foot traffic and both Georgetown and George Washington Universities close by. Now if they sold drinks at the bar. it would be a Friday / Saturday night hot spot.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Are you from the DC area?

I've lived here for four years.

Quote:

No native would call Annapolis or Columbia a "short drive."

It's less than an hour from the center of DC to either Columbia or Annapolis. Compared to most areas in the US, I'd consider that to be a short drive. Also, don't take it as some sort of complaint about Apple, rather, I was expressing astonishment that they could open so many stores and still keep them profitable.

Quote:

The only city I can think of that doesn't have a seedy part is San Francisco

Honestly, I can't say it's "frighteningly divided." Really, it's a very normal city that happens to house a lot of federal government. The east side is certainly less economically sound than the west side, but NE isn't so bad (and improving) and SE is small, plus much of the SE land is occupied by the world's largest sewage treatment plant. That has an affect on land value. Anyway, unless you have a social solution that makes everyone rich, I can't agree that DC is "frighteningly" divided.

You're misinterpreting my statement. The point wasn't that DC has a varied economic spectrum (like you said, all cities do), but rather that this spectrum is so clearly divided geographically. You could draw a line graph of mean income and overlay a map of the city and it would match up disturbingly well.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

plus wiliamsburg is only hipsters.

This isn't so true anymore. There are yuppies flooding into Williamsburg. Hipsters cannot afford to live in most of Williamsburg new developments.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This week has seen a couple more strikes against the prospect of Apple setting up shop in Williamsburg. Instead, it's looking more and more like Downtown Brooklyn will be the spot. At Wednesday's quarterly Brooklyn Heights Real Estate Roundtable at the Brooklyn Historical Society on Wednesday, Jeff Winick of Winick Realty, Apple's broker, called the chatter about an Apple store in North Brooklyn "a bad rumor," while Michael Stoller, writing in yesterday's NY Sun, reported that Marty Markowitz has been pushing hard for the tech giant to come to Downtown Brooklyn. (Nordstrom's, Saks and H&M are also all mentioned as potential Downtown tenants.) This comes on the heels of Joe Chan's suggestion last month that Apple would be the dream tenant for the Municipal Building at Joralemon and Court, were the city to go through with the idea of clearing out the clerical workers currently occupying the space.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Rumors of Apple buying a building on Bedford and N. 7th in Williamsburg Brooklyn

Did Apple Buy the Bedford Ave Salvation Army?

I used to live down the street from this block right off of Bedford Ave. Definitely a lot of Mac users in the neighborhood. I can see a small store with a large genius bar. I can see Mac support being in demand.