iPod classic: the last hurrah for HDD-based iPods?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I would certainly look forward to an HDD based iPod touch.

The current flash based iPod touch, with its current capacity, fills the needs of two markets: those who want a sampling of their audio collection and those who don't mind lower quality encodings of their tunes.

The iPod Touch HDD would fill the needs of the other market: those who want a complete portable version of their music collection and those who want to have higher quality encodings, possibly using AIFF or ALE.

In many ways I believe the HDD based iPod would certainly be the ones that audiophiles would want to pick up and would probably want a better DAC, if the current one is considered average - not being an audiophile myself, I can't comment on how well the iPod does on reproducing non-lossy-compressed audio.

A 160GB flash based iPod would be neat, but I reckon another three years before we get there. It has taken about three years to go from 1GB flash to 16GB flash.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The day all iPods are flash drive based is a few years away yet.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I would certainly look forward to an HDD based iPod touch.

In many ways I believe the HDD based iPod would certainly be the ones that audiophiles would want to pick up and would probably want a better DAC, if the current one is considered average - not being an audiophile myself, I can't comment on how well the iPod does on reproducing non-lossy-compressed audio..

The iPod does just fine as an audiophile grade source. Compression of 192kbs AAC and higher is audiophile IMO.

I too am one of those who would gladly buy an HD based touch. I think that is what is coming, otherwise I would go out and get a classic, but I am holding out for what I think will come.

There are just too many uses for large storage capacity for HD based iPods to be phased out in the short term. I remember equipping a computer with an enormous 160mb HD and wondering how anyone could possibly need that much storage ;-)
  • Reply 64 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

People are buying far more of the smaller capacity, flash based units. Video is ramping up, but flash sizes are ramping up as well. Not to mention that with video, people may be even more inclined to only keep a few things on the iPod at a time, especially with battery life.

...and based on what seems to statistically bear out for audio, it's possible that regardless of what's going on in the iTMS, until we can rip video the same way we rip CDs there might not be a market. Sure, times have changed and so are conventional expectations regarding how content is delivered but I'd bet if the average Joe had the ability to 'Handbrake' all his DVDs right in iTunes it would lift the demand substantially. It's easy for us to talk about, but to the less technically inclined it's not gonna happen without an integrated video ripper. That's about a million miles from likely, though.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ColeSQ View Post

...and based on what seems to statistically bear out for audio, it's possible that regardless of what's going on in the iTMS, until we can rip video the same way we rip CDs there might not be a market. Sure, times have changed and so are conventional expectations regarding how content is delivered but I'd bet if the average Joe had the ability to 'Handbrake' all his DVDs right in iTunes it would lift the demand substantially. It's easy for us to talk about, but to the less technically inclined it's not gonna happen without an integrated video ripper. That's about a million miles from likely, though.

This has been discussed at length in various AppleTV threads. To be quick, I agree with that point... but I would go further to say that the video capability in ipods is not much more than a novelty for most buyers. IMHO this is because 1) watching video is not a passive activity like listening to music so you can not do other things simultaneously, and 2) the MTR/Handbrake process its excruciatingly slow. There will never be an integrated DVD ripper in iTunes for multiple reasons, one of which is the relationship with Universal/MGM/Paramount etc that would be lost instantly. So the only ones that are actively and regularly using the video capability on their ipods are 1) enthusiasts who rip (like many AI visitors), 2) people who buy video from itunes (very small percentage compared to music), and 3) saavy home videographers.

That being said, there is huge value in that novelty simply because in the year 2007, very few will buy a portable music player for $250 or more if it has no video capability... even if there is no intention to view a single video on it. I know a ton of coworkers and friends with video ipods who have NEVER watched a video on it, but enjoy the brigt color interface.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    How would you feel if the iPod classic could play back the same files that Apple TV supports, including 720p content?
  • Reply 67 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

How would you feel if the iPod classic could play back the same files that Apple TV supports, including 720p content?

None of the iPods have the rez for 720p, so they can't play it back on their own sereens any better than regular def programs.

But, it would be interesting if they were powerful enough to play them back on an external Tv, or monitor.

But, that may not be possible, due to DRM restrictions. It's possible that any playbeck device will need HDCP for playback in both devices.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    32GB iPod touch would solve everything.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kinowolf View Post

For you.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kinowolf View Post

Until it actually came out, then the bitching would start.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

For you.

Oops! My bad. It already has.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

For me a 32GB iPod is woefully inadequate. "For you" is correct. In fact I would rather have a 160GB iPod Classic than a 64GB iPod Touch, at the same price and we're not even close to being there yet.

I'm not arguing it.

For most people 32 MB is way more than enough, as witnessed by the droves of people buying Nano's and even Shuffles.

But, I do realise that there are some who crave more.

That's why Apple has the Classics with so much storage. They know it to.

Those wishing for huge Flash iPods now are dreaming. It will come, but later, by the time the Classic has a 750 GB drive.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Hey I've bought two 2nd Gen. Shuffles and a Red 2nd Gen Nano. One Shuffle was a gift for my 8 year-old daughter, and one was for me, though I use it rarely now (need to start running again). The Nano was a gift for my GF, who doesn't have as much musical interest as I do. Likewise I had bought a pink Mini for an ex-gf.

One reason the Nano and Shuffle sell so well is that they make gerat gifts. The Classic is much more of a personal device for the serious music fan. There's no one who doesn't already have an iPod who would like a Classic, unless it's an upgrade.

I doubt if more than a few percent of Shuffle or Nano sales are for gifts. The HDD models are given as gifts as well.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt if more than a few percent of Shuffle or Nano sales are for gifts. The HDD models are given as gifts as well.

Are you saying that the HDD models are more likely to be given as gifts? If so, I disagree. From a price point perspective the cheaper model will be given more as a gift.

I've personally bought several Nanos and Shuffles as gifts but never over the $149 mark. Maybe I'm just cheap.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you saying that the HDD models are more likely to be given as gifts? If so, I disagree. From a price point perspective the cheaper model will be given more as a gift.

I've personally bought several Nanos and Shuffles as gifts but never over the $149 mark. Maybe I'm just cheap.

No. What I said is what I meant. You quoted it yourself.

The HDD drives models are given as gifts as well. That simply means that a certain percentage of HDD models are given as gifts, as opposed to what Tonton was saying:

Quote:

One reason the Nano and Shuffle sell so well is that they make gerat gifts. The Classic is much more of a personal device for the serious music fan.

What he said there, though he may not have meant it that way, was that Nano's and Shuffle's are usually given away as gifts, which is why they sell so well, but HDD drive models are not given away as gifts, except rarely, but are bought by the user.

That's not true at all. A small percentage of ALL Apple players are given away as gifts. The large majority of all models are bought by the user.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

No. What I said is what I meant. You quoted it yourself.

Gotcha. I was defintiely confused by the wording. Perhaps I should put down the crack pipe.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gotcha. I was defintiely confused by the wording. Perhaps I should put down the crack pipe.

Don't put it down, just hand it over.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:

But, it would be interesting if they were powerful enough to play them back on an external TV, or monitor.

But, that may not be possible, due to DRM restrictions. It's possible that any playbeck device will need HDCP for playback in both devices.

You're getting warm!
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:

But, it would be interesting if they were powerful enough to play them back on an external TV, or monitor.

But, that may not be possible, due to DRM restrictions. It's possible that any playback device will need HDCP for playback in both devices.

You're getting warm!