Firm sees ultra-portable Mac from Apple by March

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Ireland, would you mind not linking oversize graphics all the time? They break the forum page layout if people have browser windows less than 1200 pixels wide.

Ok I'll lay off it a bit.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey ecking does your post count get reset when you are banned? Just curious.

You know what, I have no idea. I doubt it but I didn't check, they should, I think it'd be funny.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post

I dunno... some might do better than the analysts, but I bet most wouldn't. If you think of all the pie-in-the-sky, out-of-left-field comments that come from so many people on these forums, the analysts (at least the better ones) do considerably better. We remember every time the analysts are even slightly off, but we ignore the many times posters are completely off because it's just forum banter. If we actually had to constantly make accurate forecasts and predictions in order to keep our jobs, do you honestly think many of the people here could do better? A small minority? Maybe. But most? No.

I agree, it is a small minority, but I still expect the experts to equal or surpass minority with insight on this site. I expect a professional to have particular flair in his/her work. But saying that

I have kind of learnt over the years that there are very few people who live up to the title of being 'experts' in their field. As I learn about each subject I often find the people I once revered as experts are often just blaggers!
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

Since this is a thread about the Munster, I'd say he's the best analyst at "getting" Apple, and he does legwork (or an intern does) scoping out Apple and ATT stores to guestimate the sales rate of Apple iPhone and Macs.

That said, the main reason I read the analysts reports on this and other sites is to find out what's driving the market in AAPL. Whether I agree with what they say or not, it's interesting to know what they're saying.

I wasnt trying to get at munster in particular, I just feel that most analysts (in general) are oblivious to the larger picture. And in particular they lack understanding that Apple is not an average company that fits the 'standard model' they think every company should behave like.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Fuck do I hate these stupid iPhone tablet mockups. Talk about ridiculous. Every time I see one I just can't imagine how Apple could be silly enough to waste time and money on another 1% market niche product when they should be developing and selling products that millions would appreciate that their users are already asking for. The minority group that wants that BIG iPhone is a small minority even within their own existing users.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Once again I've got to chime in and ridicule Piper Jaffray. Recently they've reached a new low. They're now openly publishing rumors without any supporting evidence. In my opinion, Piper Jaffray analysts are as likely to be correct as any random member of this forum.

I honestly can't believe they're funding this kind of market "analysis" (speculation). Are investors really buying Gene Munster's baseless predictions? Something seems seriously amiss.

It seems that Sr. Analyst Gene Munster has completed the rumor circle and created a perpetual motion machine. Forum mongers continually rehash their desire for a sub-notebook. Analysts pick up on it and issue a report that a sub-notebook would make sense. Rumor sites like AI then run wild with the story. Circle complete.

Rumor sites are great but there isn't a need to sensationalize in this manner. A more accurate headline would have been: "Piper Jaffray: Mac Ultra-Portable Makes Sense"

Yeah, Gene Munster is starting to look like the new Henry Blodget.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Fuck do I hate these stupid iPhone tablet mockups. Talk about ridiculous. Every time I see one I just can't imagine how Apple could be silly enough to waste time and money on another 1% market niche product when they should be developing and selling products that millions would appreciate that their users are already asking for. The minority group that wants that BIG iPhone is a small minority even within their own existing users.

If Apple just concentrated on products their users already want, the iPod wouldn't exist and the iPhone wouldn't either for that matter. What you call a niche is a half-assed attempt to do something, that was never done correctly to begin with. When the iPod came out first the whole Apple community were united against it, Apple proved them wrong.

I know this looks like a bigger iPhone, and in a way it is, but in a way it's not too. The iPhone was designed to be a better phone, from the ground up it was looked at from a different perspective than basically all other phones, you can see the love (and thought) gone into the product. They will take the idea of the iPhone to the Mac, not just make the iPhone bigger. The iPhone is a phone, this will be looked at from an R&D, usability and marketing point of view as a Mac. It's a way of bringing natural input (i.e. real touch) to the Mac. Making this a convertible, as you see it, I think is missing the point I'm trying to make here. The way I see it, this will be a revolution. Making it a convertible is like shying away from that fact. If Apple are to take on something as big as this, they simple must go the whole way, and I think they would look at it like that.

Asking Apple to give a product like this a real keyboard, is like Peter Rojas asking Apple to give the next iPhone a real keypad - it's simply missing the whole point of the product.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this would be the start of the end for real keyboards, even for Apple, but I just don't think this product will have, or will need one.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    i've been waiting and waiting and waiting..

i don't care what spec it has, as long as it is an ultra portabe, and runs OSX.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple just concentrated on products their users already want, the iPod wouldn't exist and the iPhone wouldn't either for that matter. What you call a niche is a half-assed attempt to do something, that was never done correctly to begin with. When the iPod came out first the whole Apple community were united against it, Apple proved them wrong.

I know this looks like a bigger iPhone, and in a way it is, but in a way it's not too. The iPhone was designed to be a better phone, from the ground up it was looked at from a different perspective than basically all other phones, you can see the love (and thought) gone into the product. They will take the idea of the iPhone to the Mac, not just make the iPhone bigger. The iPhone is a phone, this will be looked at from an R&D, usability and marketing point of view as a Mac. It's a way of bringing natural input (i.e. real touch) to the Mac. Making this a convertible, as you see it, I think is missing the point I'm trying to make here. The way I see it, this will be a revolution. Making it a convertible is like shying away from that fact. If Apple are to take on something as big as this, they simple must go the whole way, and I think they would look at it like that.

Asking Apple to give a product like this a real keyboard, is like Peter Rojas asking Apple to give the next iPhone a real keypad - it's simply missing the whole point of the product.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this would be the start of the end for real keyboards, even for Apple, but I just don't think this product will have, or will need one.

The iPhone not having a keyboard is essential for it's feature set. It doesn't have applications that absolutely need the view at the same as the keypad, and even at times, like making posts in a forum, it is already a pain in the ass, but for something that simple it's not that big of a deal.

For reasons already explained to you guys over and over again in earlier posts, and in other threads, making a real computer without a keyboard is a totally stupid idea.

For Apple just to make it because of people thinking if they don't they didn't "go the whole way" is senseless, and that is what is half-assed. Making something un-user friendly just to take away the keyboard and touch your viewport is ridiculous. It can't be any more obvious than it is by just thinking about on your own for less than a minute. It's self defeating. It makes the product extremely difficult to use.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The iPhone not having a keyboard is essential for it's feature set.

Please. We all know the reasons the iPhone doesn't have a keyboard. One, Apple had reached a point technically, whereby they could make a software keypad that was a good enough counterpart to a real one, and two, the fact that the keyboard takes up zero physical space (and weight). It's about conserving space in the end. Something which an ultra-portable would need too. For an ultra-portable, smaller, thinner and lighter is better, it's time to take that mantra to the extreme.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I'd pay good money for an ultra-ultra-portable. How about an iPhone-like (maybe twice as thick) form factor, but with a good ULV Core Solo or Core Duo processor and the 160GB HD from the latest iPod Classic. Good enough for almost everything you'd want to use on the go, although not a Photoshop powerhouse. Maybe step it down to 500MHz or so and disable one core during portable use to conserve battery power. But the real fun comes when you plug it into a dock, which could add USB and FireWire ports, a 500GB or larger hard drive, external video up to 1920x1200, bump CPU back to full speed and re-enable second core, etc. Voila, instant desktop machine! Better yet, let it lay down flat on the desk when docked and use the MultiTouch screen as a pointing and gestural control device a la iGesture.

Now that's what I call smaller, thinner and lighter to the extreme. Mmmmm, I love pie in the sky!

Edit: Oh, I forgot. It should run full Mac OS X rather than the iPhone version.