Review: Apple Wireless Keyboard (aluminum)

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I am curious now. Why would you throw a keyboard in your backpack? Doesn't your notebook have a keyboard?

I'm only one person, but I often work with a partner on projects, and by having the wireless keyboard and my wired trackball (still no bluetooth trackballs ) I can use my MBP as a portable screen. The laptop sits equidistant between the two of us but I'm the one who does the typing.

Plus, the integrated keyboard gets pretty warm. Plus, my posture is better with an external keyboard and the screen is comfortably far away.

But again, I'm only one person.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I found this on CompUSA's site; However, I wouldn't bet on it being true.

Search Results for 'numeric keypad for Mac' (X)

Targus Wireless Stow-N-Go Keypad

Brand: Targus

Mfg Part #: AKP01US

SKU: 319736

Unfortunately, the Targus site and their manual for that kit makes no mention of OS X.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't know about the wireless thing, but I've used a USB numpad on a Mac before.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    The detractors have been missing the point all along.

This keyboard was not designed for accountants, nor anybody who needs or prefers to use a 10-key. This keyboard was designed for those who want to sit on the couch or in a chair across the room from the computer and display, watching instead perhaps AppleTV. It was designed for casual use.

Jobs made specific mention of this in the keynote when he introduced the BT keyboard, saying how the smaller size fit more comfortably. The 10-key was omitted by design, not mistake, for a target market. The review was conducted on that premise, as it should have been. If somebody finds this keyboard suitable for other applications, so much the better.

Apple made it clear that this has no 10-key-- http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

If you need one, this keyboard was not meant for you. This is not the keyboard you're looking for. Tell 'em, Obi Wan.

Calling it flawed and the review mediocre because somebody can't use their Segway to bring 8x10 beams home from the lumber yard is stupid. So the keyboard doesn't suit your purpose. Irrelevant. How does it do the job it was intended to do? That's what a review should address and what a reader should consider. This review did just that. Most of these posters need to do their part.

That people want a 10-key version is obvious. But crying that Apple screwed up this version is ridiculous. This is typical of people who whine because Apple didn't bring out the product they wanted.

If only critics understood the concept of context, most of these posts wouldn't have been made.

My only fault with the review is that this keyboard does have inverted-T cursor keys. But then that too is obvious just by looking at the keyboard. Otherwise, I'd say it and the rating were spot-on.

Maybe Apple will bring out an extended version. Maybe then those people will consider context, when it's all about them.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Any news on the extended version of this keyboard?

any recommendations for a wireless numeric pad that will work with OSX?

I do use the numeric pad a lot for Pro Tools

it makes my work so much easier....but that just me.

I don't mind having a separate numeric pad

anyone care to help finding one that will work with OSX?

thanks for your help,

Charles
  • Reply 66 of 66
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It's a great keyboard--and much better for the absence of a numeric keypad, at least for my purposes.