Intel shows off mobile quad-core chip, new cooling technology

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Please. Core 2 Quad desktop chips are already at commodity pricing. There is no excuse for Apple to not already be using Quads in thier desktop consumer machines.

Agreed

They really should have to desktop chips in the new iMacs and not made em thinner, they're thin enough in my option, it's not like they're really meant to be portables....
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Putting in a 45 watt processor in a laptop will only burn up your legs and the laptop.

Well obviously these Quad core chips are not really for use in laptop that you ACTUALLY use on your lap, but more for use in Desktop replacements / mobile workstations. I have one of these myself, about 7-8lbs with a 2.4ghz Core2 Duo, 1920x1200 screen, Nvidia Quadro, etc.

Although I like Apple's design ideas for smaller laptops and (potentially ultramobiles?) I hope they remember those in the same boat as I who don't need a small ultra-mobile, but rather the best spec'd parts you can put in a mobile computer for Scientific, Engineering, Creative/ Media production, etc

I haven't used a 17" Macbook Pro, but I indeed would rather have a fast quad-core chip, 4GB Ram, high quality 17"+ screen, etc in a desktop replacement than trying to make a larger/17" laptop really thin and sleek.

Come on Apple, Lets see a Quad Core Macbook Pro next year!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Kill the iMac off and put this in a Mini.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Kill the iMac off and put this in a Mini.

A quad-core cpu with GMA 950 POS will make for a crappy system.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Please. Core 2 Quad desktop chips are already at commodity pricing. There is no excuse for Apple to not already be using Quads in thier desktop consumer machines.

Very few of those chips are in machines that are as thin and quiet as an iMac. There are a few desknotes with them, but those are frighteningly expensive. While I know that Apple should offer a certain type of machine that would accept the current quad core desktop chips, the harping on this topic is getting very old.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I haven't used a 17" Macbook Pro, but I indeed would rather have a fast quad-core chip, 4GB Ram, high quality 17"+ screen, etc in a desktop replacement than trying to make a larger/17" laptop really thin and sleek.

Come on Apple, Lets see a Quad Core Macbook Pro next year!

That's easy, Apple's current 17" already has or offers all that but the quad core part. You can spec out an Apple system with 4GB and a 1920x1200 17" screen right now. I think Apple might offer the quad core chip when they are available in mobile ratings, even if they run a bit hotter.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    So that's like sitting with only a 45W light bulb on your lap.

Okay, a 45W light bulb with plastic around it and a fan blowing on it.

Seriously, though, good news!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Anyone seen a copy of the presentation actually given by Intel at this Taiwan conference? I'm curious about the discussion about the different approach to cooling technology. The digitimes article is interesting, but sometimes will misquote what was actually said...

Any one have the *.pdf of the presentation?

Thanks in advance -

Todd
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

Agreed

They really should have to desktop chips in the new iMacs and not made em thinner, they're thin enough in my option, it's not like they're really meant to be portables....

Darn straight. KNowing Apple they'll go quad and still have a naff gpu.

flash.