Leopard launch info imminent; Nokia downgraded on iPhone worries

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ok, so Leopard's coming out and I don't want to use Leopard until 2008, yet I want a new Mac. Looks like I may have to use it regardless. If I buy a new 24" iMac now, I just know it wont arrive without Leopard pre-installed, they'll delay it for a week or two, they are just that predictable.

Bugs are overrated. Apple crushes most of the serious one in literally a week, and all the rest are at worse *slightly* annoying. And 10.5.0 should be FAR more stable than the 10.4.0

Although I CAN see why you're ticked off.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

Yeah. That page made me sick. Apple promoting that pompous ass. Even if he is on the Apple board. ( Anti- liberal rant deleted)

John

Keep your politics away, save it for your vote.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Bugs are overrated. Apple crushes most of the serious one in literally a week, and all the rest are at worse *slightly* annoying. And 10.5.0 should be FAR more stable than the 10.4.0

Although I CAN see why you're ticked off.

well, I pre-ordered the Family edition from Amazon a month age.

I usually just put it on one machine for a month to play with, and test it, but I took advantage of the discount (whatever it is).

The only thing I don't like about getting the .0 version is when I need to re-install, and have to go through updating everything from scratch, even with combined updates. Or have to check the system from the install disk. Disk Utility may not be the latest.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

According to all the Mac forums, blogs, web sites, et al, the iPhone is an unmitigated disaster that works for no one, satisfies no one, can't do anything right, turns into a brick. Apple is being sued on a daily basis for billions of dollars. If that's correct then nobody is buying them so how does that hurt Nokia? Please, somebody, explain this to me. I must be misinterpreting all the negative comments, sites, blogs, rants, lawsuits or something. Help!

It's nuts isn't it. Nokia sells more phones in a day than Apple sold in 90. Analysts seem to get distracted by the shiny objects sometimes.

Nokia has to raise it's game on the "high-end consumer phone that isn't really a smartphone" market before Apple adds all the features that Nokia's N and E Series customers expect but Apple aren't competing in the normal bread and butter phone market at all, where Nokia and most everyone else makes 99% of their money.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It's nuts isn't it. Nokia sells more phones in a day than Apple sold in 90. Analysts seem to get distracted by the shiny objects sometimes.

Nokia has to raise it's game on the "high-end consumer phone that isn't really a smartphone" market before Apple adds all the features that Nokia's N and E Series customers expect but Apple aren't competing in the normal bread and butter phone market at all, where Nokia and most everyone else makes 99% of their money.

But, no one is talking about that 99%, not very profitable segment. Well, except you.

I don't think that anyone is concerned that Apple will sell a great number of cheap phones anytime soon, if ever.

But, if they can skim off a fair percentage of the top, most profitable segment, that would be a concern to the other phone manufacturers.

Even if the iPhone remains very popular, it won't happen at once. But it could happen after a few years.

The assumption is that Apple won't remain with this model forever. No doubt they will release models with the features that would even have you buy one.

Maybe even me!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    All apple stores are down, looks like an announcement today...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...cts/AppleStore
  • Reply 27 of 40
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

JAnd the Lawsuites? ... laughable.

I'll say one thing..... I just hope all those lawsuits will keep Apples legal staff busy enough that they don't feel the urge to bully their fans again...

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 40
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The assumption is that Apple won't remain with this model forever. No doubt they will release models with the features that would even have you buy one.

Would "not having ATT as the carrier" count as a feature?

'Cuz out here in California, where ATT is very hit or miss, it kinda would be. \

This is the big downside of the 'single carrier' strategy... no carrier is good everywhere, or even close to everywhere.

• Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deestar View Post

Hmm...

• Reply 30 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deestar View Post

It's up now. The only change I see is the Leopard preorder.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Hey, don't denegrate AlGore! After all he and Yasser Arafat are both recipients of the vaunt NPP! (As were the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs and the President of South Africa, Fredrik Willem De Klerk.) Fine folks and causes all!

Yup... throw in those commies Martin Luther King and Mother Theresa as well.

Are you actually retarded, or do you just play the part on-line?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

But 1 million 'free phones' per day means they're not making any money, right?

You do get what you pay for.

Apple already owns the 'must have' market (for the consumer market, not geeks.)

Soon it will own the features market as well.

There'll be plenty of crumbs in the '50 technologies wrapped up in a cell phone package' market for the Nokias of the world.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ok, so Leopard's coming out and I don't want to use Leopard until 2008, yet I want a new Mac. Looks like I may have to use it regardless. If I buy a new 24" iMac now, I just know it wont arrive without Leopard pre-installed, they'll delay it for a week or two, they are just that predictable.

Buy now from the store, pay the $10 to have them send you leopard and just don't install for a while.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Would "not having ATT as the carrier" count as a feature?

'Cuz out here in California, where ATT is very hit or miss, it kinda would be. \

This is the big downside of the 'single carrier' strategy... no carrier is good everywhere, or even close to everywhere.

I think that the Razzing of ATT is overdone. There isn't one carrier that's better than any other. It just varies as to where they are bad. I've got plenty of people who just hate Verison because of the customer service, and have switched to Sprint, or ATT, where they're happier, even though the networks aren't quite as good. I like Sprint's network here, but I also have had customer support issues. T-Mobile may be better in that regard, but their coverage over most of the country is REALLY bad.

So, take your pick.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

No doubt they will release models with the features that would even have you [aegisdesign] buy one.

Maybe even me!

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

There'll be plenty of crumbs in the '50 technologies wrapped up in a cell phone package' market for the Nokias of the world.

You put it very well.

I see people making sweeping claims about how "advanced" the mobile phone usage behaviors are in places such as Europe and Asia. Indeed, after having been an ardent iPhone user, I must admit to being a bit surprised by how little such "advanced" users have demanded of the Nokias of the world.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

I think that the Razzing of ATT is overdone. There isn't one carrier that's better than any other. It just varies as to where they are bad.

Trust me Mel (and you know how much I know about cellular stuff), all carriers are decidedly NOT the same, and some are better than others. And ATT is still nowhere near the best. \

While its true that no carrier has great service everywhere, its also very much mistaken to think its a toss-up overall. Say there's 100 Top markets in the US. Say Verizon is bad in 9 of them, Sprint is bad in 21 of them, T-Mobile is bad in 26, and ATT is bad in 18 of them. Okay, so all the national carriers are bad somewhere. Does that mean that they're all equal? Nope. And its pretty easy to look at things like churn rates and figure out that they're not all equally good either.

And again, the fact that no carrier is good everywhere is a big argument AGAINST Apple's single-carrier strategy. How many ppl live in ATT poor coverage areas, but would like to get an iPhone? A significant amount, without question.

While ATT is (slowly) improving, they are not the best by any important metric anyone cares to mention (churn rates, customer care, national call quality surveys, 3G coverage, etc). They are 'average', and might not even rank that high but for the continued amazing implosion occurring at Sprint right now (whose CEO recently was forced to resign for poor company performance, amid expected heavy postpaid subscriber losses).

I don't know if laying out the 411 on this truly constitutes razzing, but that's where we are with ATT right now. To me, and not a few others, that two-year carrier exclusivity period can't run out too soon (yeah yeah, we know "It's five years!"... no, it's not... it's two, with an option to go five, as some news coverage has said, though ATT and Apple have remained intentionally coy).

• Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamilio View Post

A question for you apple veterans:

I'm new to mac, I have delayed getting a macbook pro until Leopard's release because I don't want to fork over the $130 for the upgrade. There is an apple store just a couple miles from me, and I'd like to buy my mbp there (as opposed to store.apple.com). According to history, when will Leopard be *installed* and ready to be bought on new macs in stores?

consider buying from one of the better mac online stores. MacMall, MacZone, MacConnection. You can specifi that you want the Mac with Leopard.

I have used these guys for years and always had great luck. Plus, you can get extra memory, drives, etc installed much cheaper.

Elder Norm
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

I wrote that report in october 2007... and yes Nokia lost the bread and butter phone market to Apple. .. It was a good call to sell Nokia at EUR 28
  • Reply 40 of 40
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I told my financial planner the day Steve Jobs came back to Apple to WATCH THEM explode up. Good call a decade earlier.