Steve Jobs confirms native iPhone SDK by February

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 143
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Did I? I really don't remember. I do think on things over time, and with new facts, I may change the way I look at the issue. The situation has evolved. So have my opinions.

Right around January when the iPhone was announced is when I was looking at different smartphones. I was leaning towards a BlackBerry and was able to play around with a friend's BB. I also had the opportunity to play with a Sony UMPC. The UMPC had the advantage of much better apps than the BB. The disadvantage was using apps designed for desktop on a 4 inch screen. And the device was very bulky with tiny buttons.

Once the iPhone was announced it had advantages of both. It is a thin sleek smartphone that runs a desktop OS and desktop apps. I thought Apple has found a way to make a truly usable UMPC.
  • Reply 142 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Right around January when the iPhone was announced is when I was looking at different smartphones. I was leaning towards a BlackBerry and was able to play around with a friend's BB. I also had the opportunity to play with a Sony UMPC. The UMPC had the advantage of much better apps than the BB. The disadvantage was using apps designed for desktop on a 4 inch screen. And the device was very bulky with tiny buttons.

Once the iPhone was announced it had advantages of both. It is a thin sleek smartphone that runs a desktop OS and desktop apps. I thought Apple has found a way to make a truly usable UMPC.

I was thinking that there was a possibility as well, but that we would have to see where Apple was going with it first. I also seem to remember thinking that the screen was too small.

But, now that the SDK that I've been saying all along would arrive, has arrived (at least we now know that it will arrive, and when), and word is getting around that there MAY be a somewhat larger version, I'm thinking that the device might actually work, if it actually comes to be.