It seems that Apple is letting a golden moment pass by

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Right now is the perfect time for apple to have introduced a new machine with 2 hard drives. With Leopard preinstalled and Time Machine requiring an external hard drive, this would have been an awesome combo. At the very least they should have introduced "Time Machine hard drives". They could even call them Time Machines. I just find it hard to believe that Leopard will be released with no new hardware to add on to the sale, what a missed opportunity. Then again there is still a bit more than 7 days to go.....

I believe Apple is going to introduce another tower model at MWSF2008, which is why we have not seen the Mac Pro updated with Penryn processors. If people raised a stink when Apple dropped the price of the iPhone, imagine the complaining that would happen if Apple updated the Mac Pro now, then introduced an xMac a couple months later?

The selling points of this new tower model will be 2 hard drives, replaceable graphics, and expansion slots (no PCI, yes PCIe). We might even be able to swap out the dual-core that comes with it and throw in any pin-compatible processor, but the RAM will be maxed out at 4GB.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I'm pretty sure my mac pro has a ~1kw power supply....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

it does

He was talking about some PC and not a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I believe Apple is going to introduce another tower model at MWSF2008, which is why we have not seen the Mac Pro updated with Penryn processors. If people raised a stink when Apple dropped the price of the iPhone, imagine the complaining that would happen if Apple updated the Mac Pro now, then introduced an xMac a couple months later?

Having a 2 year old system with the same price and same parts is just as bad when other systems have dropped there price or added more ram, faster cpus, bigger hds, and better video cards at the same price.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Not a bad idea.

I'm wishing they release a new MacBook Pro with some of these on Leopard day:

1. 6 or 8GB RAM options

2. Optional Blu-ray drive

3. 2.8 Core 2 Duo Extreme(or 3.2)

4. Hi-Res 1080P screen standard

But obviously I'm reaching quite far as I know Apple won't give us a Blu-ray drive......yet, and 8GB RAM is probably too much for most people.

That would be one hell of a machine. Sadly I don't think we will see that for a few years.

- can't have more than 4gigs of ram until Intel is done developing their 4core compressor cooled mobile chips (currently in development). Or until they develop a dual core that supports more then 4gigs (have to see how the penyrn sp? performs when its released.)

- Blu-ray optional drive is a very likely standard option in the next round! Woohoo!

- 2.8 Core 2 Duo, quite likely in the non-base model versions, and I foresee the 3.0+ chips being available as an option by summer next year.

- 1080p screens - unfortunatly not possible at this time in a sub 17" screen. The fact that they are even getting 1920X1200 on a 17" LCD is pretty damn impressive! LCD/OLED screen technology is advancing nicely so I think we will be seeing full 1080p supporting 15" screens at the end of next year.

But I am looking forward to the next run of MBP's I'm curious as to what they are going to offer.

-Tim
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Personally, Apple should include this or the 62OW in all is Mac Pros.

The Mac Pros acctually use a 980 watt PSU, which is pretty intense considering that is almost double the amount the G5 Quad used, and more then double the amount of power the current Xserve uses.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tim Quinn View Post

- 1080p screens - unfortunatly (sic) not possible at this time in a sub 17" screen. The fact that they are even getting 1920X1200 on a 17" LCD is pretty damn impressive! LCD/OLED screen technology is advancing nicely so I think we will be seeing full 1080p supporting 15" screens at the end of next year.

The iPhone is 163 dots per inch. Sony are shipping a 4.5 inch screen which at 1024x600 is 250 dots per inch.

http://www.dynamism.com/ux/main.shtml

So, a sub 17 inch screen supporting 1080p is very possible right now.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The iPhone is 163 dots per inch. Sony are shipping a 4.5 inch screen which at 1024x600 is 250 dots per inch.

the iPhone is 320x480 res, although nice, it's nothing groundbreaking.

The screen from Sony is gorgeous, but a 15" version of that screen would be far from affordable. At least for another year anyways.

So i will rephrase my statement accordingly.

At this time, an average consumer, affordable priced 1080p screen under 17", would not be realistic. But, in my own opinion, it is something we will see before 2009

-Tim
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I'm pretty sure my mac pro has a ~1kw power supply....

I knew I was off and after digging around they consume around 1050 W.

This means very few after market options are around.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153054

The Thermaltake seems to be the one that would pull it's weight the best.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Been possible for 2 years. See below

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tim Quinn View Post

The screen from Sony is gorgeous, but a 15" version of that screen would be far from affordable. At least for another year anyways.

So i will rephrase my statement accordingly.

At this time, an average consumer, affordable priced 1080p screen under 17", would not be realistic. But, in my own opinion, it is something we will see before 2009

-Tim

Depends on what one considers "average consumer"

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3889
    • The following are the features of the 15.4? T61p being reviewed:

Screen: 15.4-inch WUXGA (1920 x 1200) TFT Display,175 NIT, 500:1 Contrast

Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 (4MB L2 Cache,800MHz FSB)

Hard Drive: 100 GB hard drive (Seagate 7200.1 7200RPM)

Memory: 2GB x 1 RAM (PC5300, 667 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM) 4GB max memory

Optical Drive: DVD+-R Double layer / DVD+-RW Drive

External Ports and Slots: Three USB 2.0, Firewire 400, one ExpressCard slot, one SmartCard Reader, one VGA, one 4-in-1 card reader, headphone / line-out, microphone-in, modem, 1Gb Ethernet

Wireless: WiFi (Intel 4965AGN 802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.0 w/ EDR

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256MB)

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate

9-cell Li-Ion battery (10.8V, 7.8AH)

Dimensions: (WxDxH): 14.1" x 10.0" x 1.2?1.4"; 358.4mm x 255mm x 29.8?34.5mm

Weight: 6.77 pounds (w/ 9 cell battery, 5.67lbs w/o)

$2500 is what I consider to be upper consumer range for a laptop.

I think Apple goes HD on all the next Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think Apple goes HD on all the next Macbook Pro.

I certainly hope so. It's shameful that Apple are not yet offering 1920x1200 in the 15" MacBook Pro. If Lenovo can do it, Apple can do it.