AppleInsider Comic: Steve Jobs and Gabe Newell talk Half-Life 2

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Exactly what about the OS should Apple be doing to make the porting job easier? Making a DX implementation or making a DX wrapper to translate the calls to something Apple does (OpenGL, etc.) is probably going to make Apple a target for a lawsuit.

I think the kind of HL2 port being discussed here would come with a full OpenGL rendering component.

I'm guessing what Valve would ask of Apple is to equip more machines with actual graphics chips, to improve the graphics drivers (the way I understand it, Apple's graphics drivers are slow and it's possible they'd be especially slow or lacking in high-quality game related features like shaders), maybe better, game-oriented low latency access to mouse/keyb/joystick input such as Microsoft's DirectInput, game-oriented low latency networking libraries like Microsoft's DirectPlay?
  • Reply 42 of 49
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

PC gaming IS likely dead due to consoles but it's not because consoles are 'just too good.' Unfortunately, console users are like people with most technology. 'They' think their RAZR is as good as it gets.

The PS3 might be powerful right now but it's not upgradeable. Therefore, the PC will always be a 'better' gaming machine in terms of performance and graphics. And, it's time we all admitted it, assisted aiming on first person shooters is lame. Cross platform games (PC to X-box) have to be gimped on the console side to ensure those users are not entirely pwned (yes I said pwned). There is nothing NOTHING like actually aiming with a mouse and getting a kill instead of jerk-the-stick, not close enough, jerk, too far, jerk back to the start, firing one inch to the left of, and seeing the enemy go down. Now, if they ever add a mouse, keyboard combo to the PS3, things might change.

If you have not tried the Wii and Metroid Prime 3 you have not seen how good FPS on a console has the potential to be. The Keyboard and mouse are really going to get a run for their money with the ability to simply point at the screen with one and shoot while you move around with the other. Very ergonomic compared to mouse/keyboard as well from my perspective.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I never doubted that PC gaming is a reasonably large market, but nonetheless it's very reasonable to expect future online games (like WoW) will be released for consoles. It seems like the console market is growing much faster than the PC game market, and in certain areas it definitely seems like the console market has taken over: the console is definitely the preferred format for shooter games like Halo, and this wasn't always the case.

I'm a bit confused, though, why there are people who are very defensive about PC gaming (not by any means pointing the finger). If the experience is the same (or close enough), does it really matter?

No. WoW won't be ported to consoles any time soon for the simple reason that the game requires significant storage space. The console market at the moment tries to keep games from using too much storage. I personally hope that changes and now that Microsoft has given the developers the go ahead (specifically Epic Games to make the new Unreal Tournament) to use more of the drive for storage it just may. An Xbox is set up to work like a PC which is why it's easier to code for.

Having tried both, you will never hear me say that a console provides a superior gaming experience compared to PC gaming. You will never hear actual gaming developers say that either. I simply enjoy the cost effectiveness of consoles and hate Windows for anything else other than gaming so I love my Xbox 360.

HOWEVER there is simply no comparison between PC gaming and console gaming as far as the actual code. The new and cutting edge programming that is happening now on consoles was already done on PC games three years ago. It's where the boundaries are pushed and ideas developed first. That's why it will never go away any time soon.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I wanted to add that another reason I think PC gaming is such a stalwart for gaming development is simply because that platform hasn't changed too drastically. It's aways been Windows. Consoles on the other hand all differ in their platforms so developers have to spend a lot of time tweaking something they coded to fit more than one platform. It's a waste of time. Microsoft has the right idea with the Xboxes in how they are similar to the PC platform.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    I really don't get it: why would you play games 'the Mac-way' if your Intel machine can also boot Windows ?!!?!

I'm using Bootcamp with Windows XP and play HL2 or Company of Heroes like a charm. And yes, Battlefield 2142 runs terrible on OSX. So why choose the hard way to port al these games to the Mac ? It's surely not because of the sales profits....
  • Reply 46 of 49
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rlvdijk View Post

I really don't get it: why would you play games 'the Mac-way' if your Intel machine can also boot Windows ?!!?!

I'm using Bootcamp with Windows XP and play HL2 or Company of Heroes like a charm. And yes, Battlefield 2142 runs terrible on OSX. So why choose the hard way to port al these games to the Mac ? It's surely not because of the sales profits....

I would rather devote the hard drive space for other uses and not have to reboot just to play a game. I tried that during the OS9/OSX transition and it really annoyed me. As for BF2142, chalk that one up to cider. Still, Apple could be doing much more than they are.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I wanted to add that another reason I think PC gaming is such a stalwart for gaming development is simply because that platform hasn't changed too drastically. It's aways been Windows. Consoles on the other hand all differ in their platforms so developers have to spend a lot of time tweaking something they coded to fit more than one platform. It's a waste of time. Microsoft has the right idea with the Xboxes in how they are similar to the PC platform.

PC gaming has an ability to change that consoles don't. When a console game goes GM, they really can't change it. With a computer game, it has the ability to evolve over time, especially when it comes to mods. That why most console games don't leave the shelf after a couple of months while some PC games have remained viable for years.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I would rather devote the hard drive space for other uses and not have to reboot just to play a game. I tried that during the OS9/OSX transition and it really annoyed me.

This is definitely true. When you have a bunch of real work open, it's a lot to ask that you have to shut all that down and lose your bearings to play for a while. It would make Boot Camp a lot more tolerable if we had hibernation (suspend to HD) and could boot to Windows meanwhile.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

PC gaming has an ability to change that consoles don't. When a console game goes GM, they really can't change it. With a computer game, it has the ability to evolve over time, especially when it comes to mods. That why most console games don't leave the shelf after a couple of months while some PC games have remained viable for years.

The culture is different. Console gamers won't tolerate the level of bugs that PC games frequently ship with. Neither mods nor upgrades are *that* big compared to the PS3 minimum 40GB HD; that console could support even World of Warcraft as long as readily available controllers and displays are up to it.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    1 million dollars is not asking much.

I ran a small startup game company once years ago (that ended up failing.) We recieved a one million dollar advance from our publisher and we were a "nobody" at the time with no track record.