Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Ireland isn't everyone in Ireland.

That sounded weird...

He's not? He sounds like he is.

Actually, I was just making the point that Macs are selling. The iPod is the largest selling music player, and itunes the largest download site.

While not everyone has heard of the Mac, a substantial number have, going by the large rise in sales.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    As far as I can determine foreign car manufacturers have a hell of a time selling in Japan. One would expect imports to have a similar market share as Japanese cars have in f.i. Europe. But their share is miniscule. Same with Apple in Japan. It seems the Japanese are a bit Xenophobic when it comes to buying. After-all they encourage school kids to eat whale meat.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

As far as I can determine foreign car manufacturers have a hell of a time selling in Japan. One would expect imports to have a similar market share as Japanese cars have in f.i. Europe. But their share is miniscule. Same with Apple in Japan. It seems the Japanese are a bit Xenophobic when it comes to buying. After-all they encourage school kids to eat whale meat.

In both cases, if you try to sell something the locals don't want, then you aren't going to sell many to them. When there was a big fuss about poor exports to Japan, the Big 3 conveniently left out the fact that they aren't even trying to understand the market, that the type of cars that do sell well there are drastically different than what sells in the US, particularly in fuel economy. It's not to say that there aren't unfair trade practices going on.

With electronics, Japan is a very competitive, cut-throat environment. iPod sales are good, but the market dominance was 20 points less than in most other developed nations.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Uh, Florida isn't Asia.

Just saying...

Don't we wish?

Quote:

Well, at least we've gotten that cleared up.

It seems as though, in a way, we were all right.

It did mean sales by the end of 2008, as some of us said, but it also means end of the third quarter of 2008.

Just that end of 2008 means Apple's financial year, and during 2008, means calendar year.

Hopefully, that debate is now over.

I thought Apple was being a little inconsistent about that though. I saw one Jobs interview after the European presentation, where he said IN 2008, and I think the original presentation he said by the end of 2008.

I think they can easily manage to make either goal.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You don't live here. Everyone I talk to here doesn't know what the heck a Mac is.

I live here (near London). I'm working in a financial institution here, hanging around with the developers, architects, and infrastructure guys. The desktops are locked down Windows boxes and among the techies, sitting next to roughly one in four desktops is a MacBook Pro. This is what we work on, and email stuff back into the company when it's done.

We have about 40 people, and 9 or 10 Mac notebooks, senior management have their own Macs. A bunch of friends (techie's making their own minds up) have also switched. Among my colleagues/business acquaintances probably 20-30% are using Macs now. Most have switched in the last 2-3 years.

That's my datapoint anyway, from where I'm sitting adoption is rocketing.

All the best,

Martin.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Quote:

In Japan, most people are aware of Apple, and indeed, the iPhone even made it into the local paper where I live when it was released. So far, so good: every Japanese knows that Apple makes Macs, they know about iPods and they have seen a photo of the iPhone. High positive mindshare.

They also know about the quality control problems and the horrible service, especially when compared to other makers. High negative mindshare.

First, the fact that you say in an earlier post that Apple needs to "market" more, and here you say that they have good "mindshare" has me all confused. Which is it?

Second, I'd agree with you that Apple's quality control needs a second look. Clearly they are having some supply chain issues, given the masive ramp-ups in volume. But so do other PC manufacturers, including "Japanese" manufacturers such as Sony and Toshiba (remember exploding batteries in planes?). That notwithstanding, it does not seem to have stopped the Apple juggernaut in every other part of the world.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In both cases, if you try to sell something the locals don't want, then you aren't going to sell many to them. When there was a big fuss about poor exports to Japan, the Big 3 conveniently left out the fact that they aren't even trying to understand the market, that the type of cars that do sell well there are drastically different than what sells in the US, particularly in fuel economy. It's not to say that there aren't unfair trade practices going on.

With electronics, Japan is a very competitive, cut-throat environment. iPod sales are good, but the market dominance was 20 points less than in most other developed nations.

It isn't so much what the locals want, as it is the culture of just buying domestic brands. That's why it was so surprising the iPods are doing so well there. The Japanese, like the koreans, will normally pay much more for a domestic product.

We won't do that here, where the mantra is *cheap*, *cheap*, *cheao*.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Then I'm buying. It was up big in after hours trading, like $16.00.

I think the 'halo' effect is beginning to kick in.

You THINK?
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

With all of Apple's profit centers hitting major strides and picking up momentum "The Big Boys" will be buying tomorrow, and the next day and the next day.

Show me another company (besides Google) that is growing revenue at 60% and trading at less than a 1 multiple? No with the banks in the dumps and the housing market headed lower for quite a while, stocks are the only haven. And companies like APPLE and GOOGLE are the ones that are going to be going higher. Just because our economy is weak overall Apple and Google can still kick some major butt.

Which would you rather invest in: T-Bill at 4.5%, Real Estate at -??? %, or companies that are growing at more than 100% per year???

Yeah, that's what the Big Boys are thinking too!

I really, really, really hope so ...
  • Reply 50 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I really, really, really hope so ...

Apple already has over 1.35 million in pre day trade volumn. The price is at $187.45, moving up, as I write this at 8:51 am NY time.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    As the pre trading listings have been put on the board, the price has gone to $187.70. the pre trade price right now is $188.65, with trades already listed at 1.8 million before the bell.

Interestingly, MS, whose price has also moved upward somewhat in pre trading, has only 0.0731 in trades.

Let's hope the price continues in the same direction.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:

It is not just the lack of certain product lines that is hurting Apple in Japan. Apple has some serious and wide-spread problems that need dealing with if they are to boost their figures for Japan.

Such as?
  • Reply 53 of 69
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You THINK?

Yeah I do. But not everyone shares this sentiment
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:

Well, at least we've gotten that cleared up.

It seems as though, in a way, we were all right.

It did mean sales by the end of 2008, as some of us said, but it also means end of the third quarter of 2008.

Just that end of 2008 means Apple's financial year, and during 2008, means calendar year.

Hopefully, that debate is now over.

Actually, it looks like AI got this one wrong.

The exact quote from the call was "I would reiterate that we're very confident with shipping ten million in the calendar year of next year". It's just after the 27 minute mark of the conference call for anyone who wants to listen for themself.

Not ten million by the end of next year. Not shipping the ten millionth next year. Not third quarter or fiscal year. Shipping ten million IN calendar year 2008. This is what was on the original slide, it's what they have consistently said all along.

I hope this clears things up once and for all.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Yeah I do. But not everyone shares this sentiment

Well I'm with you
  • Reply 56 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Actually, it looks like AI got this one wrong.

The exact quote from the call was "I would reiterate that we're very confident with shipping ten million in the calendar year of next year". It's just after the 27 minute mark of the conference call for anyone who wants to listen for themself.

Not ten million by the end of next year. Not shipping the ten millionth next year. Not third quarter or fiscal year. Shipping ten million IN calendar year 2008. This is what was on the original slide, it's what they have consistently said all along.

I hope this clears things up once and for all.

Nope. Times reported today that Apple has stated that it expects to sell 10 million phones by the end of 2008. That goes with previous statements, including one that jobs made in an interview with CNBC a while ago..
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:

Apple already has over 1.35 million in pre day trade volumn. The price is at $187.45, moving up, as I write this at 8:51 am NY time.

If this keeps up year on year (and I see no reason short of WWIII), imagine in three to five years down the road... We're holding our stock all the way till we retire
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:

Nope. Times reported today that Apple has stated that it expects to sell 10 million phones by the end of 2008. That goes with previous statements, including one that jobs made in an interview with CNBC a while ago..

Looks like the times is wrong then. Listen to the call. Are you saying he doesn't say 10 million IN 2008? At some other point in the call, or in one of their press releases, does apple say 10 million by the end of 2008?
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Looks like the times is wrong then. Listen to the call. Are you saying he doesn't say 10 million IN 2008? At some other point in the call, or in one of their press releases, does apple say 10 million by the end of 2008?

Why even worry? Anything Apple say they will do they blow past.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:

It isn't so much what the locals want, as it is the culture of just buying domestic brands. That's why it was so surprising the iPods are doing so well there. The Japanese, like the koreans, will normally pay much more for a domestic product.

That's part of it, but with the US automaker example in Japan, it was failing to consider something like the cost of gas which makes the market largely made up of cars that were a lot smaller than the smallest cars that the Big 3 make.