When will the Mac Pro support 64gb ram?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When do you think it will have a 64gb ram option? I think it needs one to compete with Dell's own workstation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdanaher17 View Post

When do you think it will have a 64gb ram option? I think it needs one to compete with Dell's own workstation.

WTF are you talking about?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

WTF are you talking about?

64 gb of ram is ridiculous. you could never use that, not even arnold swartzeneger needed that much.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdanaher17 View Post

Spec whore alert.

According to Macworld, that 64GB Ram would cost you $49,500. Therefore, it's simply not worth adding as an option when you could easily buy 10 Mac Pros for that and get the extra CPU/GPU power and storage.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/opin...owup/index.php
  • Reply 4 of 25
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Spec whore alert.

According to Macworld, that 64GB Ram would cost you $49,500. Therefore, it's simply not worth adding as an option when you could easily buy 10 Mac Pros for that and get the extra CPU/GPU power and storage.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/opin...owup/index.php

Not to mention you could buy 40 base model Honda Civics for the price of one Bugatti Veyron.* You'll get much more cargo space, power and cylinders in those Civics combined. Easy choice eh?

* I actually have no idea how much these cars cost.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Didn't Bill gates say that no one will ever need more than 64GB of RAM?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

64 gb of ram is ridiculous. you could never use that, not even arnold swartzeneger needed that much.

High Definition complex Rendering for Animation/3D Modeling/Shading and CAD or Medical Imaging will chew through 64 Gigs of RAM.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Not before Intel release a desktop chipset supporting 64GB of ram.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Not before Intel release a desktop chipset supporting 64GB of ram.

The chipset in the Mac Pro supports 64GB of RAM.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    It probably supports it already. Mac Pro's have been getting 32GB installed when they were only advertised for 16GB. All it took was the DIMMS to be available. It's all about the memory controller in the chipset and Intel put the overhead in a couple years ago, we're just catching up to it now.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    In that case, it might work when 8GB DIMMs become available, but Apple probably haven't tested it.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

In that case, it might work when 8GB DIMMs become available, but Apple probably haven't tested it.

Being an OEM Apple gets those DIMMS months before they are stamped for general consumption.

They'll have tested it.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    4GB DIMMs just recently became available and Apple are not supporting them, which hints at the results of their tests. I would not be too sure that Apple have received 8GB DIMMs for testing yet. I very much doubt that Apple had received 8GB DIMMs back when the current Mac Pro was in development.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Didnt somebody say having 8 gigs of ram was not necessary at one point or some other arbitrary GB number? Currently, we now need at least 2 GB's to run the most current OS's with any degree of decency. We will need 64GB of ram in no time I suspect, the way tech is advancing these days.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Didnt somebody say having 8 gigs of ram was not necessary at one point or some other arbitrary GB number? Currently, we now need at least 2 GB's to run the most current OS's with any degree of decency. We will need 64GB of ram in no time I suspect, the way tech is advancing these days.

the answer is a two fold :

First one requires a hardware system which will supply. The current MB is an intel varient with 8 slots each with a maximum fb capacity of 4gig FBdimm this gives us amax of currently 32 gigs .

Undoubtably next MAc pro MB will be another intel varient as mac is already sourcing High end penryn processors for its release . If this release is say Nov07 the board will most likely a varient on intell skull trail which would instantly upgrade video boards to 8800 series nvidia and quadro 4600 ,5600 in sli mode as long as leopard can support driver wise.I am unsure of it FB dimm count at this time.

Second: up till now mac os was a 32 /64 bit system which in its applications would not address more than 4 gigs of ram per instance of application.

Now with leopard we have a 64 bit OS which will address beyond the 4 gig per instance barrier . This is the single most important factor for leopard but seemingly understood by few. This brings remarkable capabilities to the applications BUT they must all be ported to support 64 bit first to see this tecnological epiffany!

So as the applications are upgraded to support 64 bit there will be remarkable improvements mostly in the big number crunching fields as mentioned before like imaging ,3d rendering, and my field video and film ...very exciting!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Not to mention you could buy 40 base model Honda Civics for the price of one Bugatti Veyron.* You'll get much more cargo space, power and cylinders in those Civics combined. Easy choice eh?

* I actually have no idea how much these cars cost.

Actually, it's 87.75ish Civic's :-)

1,300,000/14,814 (Yahoo! Cars) = 87.75xxxx

Crazyness Gotta love it
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Actually, it's 87.75ish Civic's :-)

1,300,000/14,814 (Yahoo! Cars) = 87.75xxxx

Crazyness Gotta love it

You beat me to it there. If you could afford a Veyron at $1,300,000 why on earth would you want 87 Honda Civics? The Veyron would be worth considerably more in 2 years than 80 Civics. In fact, it probably wouldn't lose that much value at all ($200,000 perhaps), whereas you would probaly lose more than $500,000 on the Civics. So financially the Veyron makes pretty good sense!

I'm guessing the running costs would be comparable though!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Back to the MacPros though, you would be much better bying 10 of them and running them in parallel than just sticking 64 Gig of RAM in one.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    what do u need that 64Gig ram for? What is the memory size of the super computer for scientific purpose?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chinese_ys View Post

what do u need that 64Gig ram for? What is the memory size of the super computer for scientific purpose?

He needs at least a few of those to take over the world. Those interactive "map of the globe" (flat and 3D like the death star in Episode III) REALLY suck the memory. Plus, he'll need to use dashboard to check the weather while doing so, listen to iTunes music and burn is PowerPoint DVD entitled "My Plan to Take Over The World."

I'd say he needs at least 1TB of RAM.