Apple to air student-made TV ad; Aperture & Backup updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't think the tools are the biggest hindrance. I think that's more a result of the guerrilla effect.

It's not that hard to whip something like that through other consumer software. I think that's the difference between dealing with a bureaucracy and not, be it in the ad agency or with the customer. He didn't have to worry about getting anyone to sign off on it, be it the customer or the boss or the boss's boss. No committee to argue with or micromanage the process. He didn't worry about other people objecting to his own creative vision. Or getting the rights to the music. Or auditioning actors.

You got to the heart of the matter here. It isn't always the tools, which today, are possible to use on any OS, but the more mundane behind the scenes portion of professional activity.

Doing even 30 second Ads when I was doing Tv work back in the early-mid '70's could cost a couple hundred thousand, take several months planning and approval, and another month or two to set up and film.

Today, due to more difficult legal conditions, it can be even worse.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Time flies faster than that. Aperture 1.5 was released Sept 2006. 1.0 was announced Oct 2005. So Adobe was given plenty of time to catch up to Aperture's strengths.

Well, Sept 2006 was a long time ago. Over a year now. Time enough for a total makeover. Truthfully, we expected 2.0 several months ago.

Adobe was about equal with Aperture when Lightroom first came out. Actually, even then, it had much better tools.

Now, the two aren't even close. Apple has done nothing since 1.5, while Adobe has made significant progress. I have both programs, and while Aperture is a bit better at organizing, Lightroom isn't that far behind. But, Lightroom will allow you to produce a very high quality DNG, or even a final, where Aperture simply can't do anything like the same quality file.

We expected to see 2.0 at the show, and there was a great deal of buzz about the possibility. When it didn't happen, there was surprise, as well as a good deal of consternation and disappointment. The feeling in the pro community now is that Apple might, after all, not consider this product to be selling well enough for them to continue quickly upgrading the product.

It's bewildering to us. Many are rooting for Aperture, but must use the better product.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

Yes, insulting someone who doesn't agree with you is the best way to make your point.

The ad is hardly 'brilliant'. I love how people can never decide what they want. Apple makes some nice informative ads with real people talking and people call them the worst ever. Some student cuts up some clips to music, which I think the vast majority would find bewildering, and is hailed.

The cuts are too fast, there's no time to take in each section and everything is crammed together. The music however, is spot on.

It's far more likely the ad agency liked the idea and music and didn't want a backlash for stealing an idea, rather than them being amazed by it.

The reason I was so insulting to the poster was because he was so harsh and negative on the ad ("worst shit ad I have ever seen" among many other nasty comments). I'm rarely the insulting type, but this guy obviously needed to be put in his place.

I think a lot of you are judging the ad mainly on its technical merits. The only people who care about that stuff is other video editors. What makes the ad great is its feel and emotion. Lines like "Music is where I meet my friends" really resonate with people. Ditto for the closing line "my music is where I like you to touch".
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

The reason I was so insulting to the poster was because he was so harsh and negative on the ad ("worst shit ad I have ever seen" among many other nasty comments). I'm rarely the insulting type, but this guy obviously needed to be put in his place.

I think a lot of you are judging the ad mainly on its technical merits. The only people who care about that stuff is other video editors. What makes the ad great is its feel and emotion. Lines like "Music is where I meet my friends" really resonate with people. Ditto for the closing line "my music is where I like you to touch".

It is a bit corny though.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:

My humble 2¢ is that your response was appropriate. No need to commiserate.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The problem in fighting fire with fire, is that you'll get burned.

I didn't read as much into that post as you did, it just looked like it was an overboard response.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It is a bit corny though.

Someone had better notify Apple, then.

...apparently they thought it was pretty good.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

Someone had better notify Apple, then.

...apparently they thought it was pretty good.

Still corny.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    I really liked the ad. The music is really catchy and I think it will be one of those songs you'll always associate with the advert. Like the 'spaceman' song by Babilon Zoe that sold millions of copies thanks to the Levis advert.

Nice one Nick
  • Reply 30 of 42
    CSS "cansei der se Sexy" and apple in one place? im in heaven, surely.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

this is unbelievable... that ad is nothing special, anyone can do it. I don't believe Apple would contact him and hire the kid, there is no way. Its probably an Apple faculty kid who tries to inspire other kids to do the same. I am unimpressed, very unfair, that's the worst shit ad I have ever seen. I never knew Apple was stupid enough to fly him down and work with the kid. Ridicolous.

Apple didn't contact the kid... Chiat/Day did. Being contacted by Apple and being contacted by their ad agency are two very different things. Chiat/Day doesn't give a shit about the visual quality of the ad, or where the videos came from. They wanted the concept. Do you like it? Apparently not. But I also doubt you fall into the age range an ad like that would target.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    The final ad is up on Apple's site. Here is the URL: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ads/
  • Reply 33 of 42
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

It's far more likely the ad agency liked the idea and music and didn't want a backlash for stealing an idea, rather than them being amazed by it.

Except, no.

Check out the link above--the final ad is very similar after the first look.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Just watched the final ad during game 4 of World Series.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

this is unbelievable... that ad is nothing special, anyone can do it. I don't believe Apple would contact him and hire the kid, there is no way. Its probably an Apple faculty kid who tries to inspire other kids to do the same. I am unimpressed, very unfair, that's the worst shit ad I have ever seen. I never knew Apple was stupid enough to fly him down and work with the kid. Ridicolous.

a little harsh, aren't we?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Best iPod Touch commercial to date... uh wait a minute. It's the only iPod Touch commercial to date!

I love it. Perhaps it doesn't reach out to that mid-50's/mid-40's male crowd that the advertisements usually hit, but this one is more "teen"/early twenties crowd. The older guys want phones anyway! Good energy. A bunch of cool images flying by. Nice Flow. Good Music to boot.

Nice job!!!
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Apple Sicks Lawyers on Innocent Kids Over iPhone!

A couple of imaginitve, curious kids who figured out how to unlock the iPhone are under legal assault from Apple!

Why do we let them get away with this type behavior? Strangling the creativity in our youth, inhibiting free trade and commerce. These bright young men should be applauded for their heroic efforts to give people choice. Why all of the legal machinations against the young and impressionable?

I for one don't want to live in a world where Steve Jobs and the iGustapo can walk into the High School Science fair and start turning over tables screaming,

"No! No! That's my idea! Don't change our stuff you brats! I'll sue your parents! Guards catch that one, beat him! Muahahahahaha!"

An old friend wrote me just yesterday;

"... My son Scotty looked up at me the other day and asked, 'Mommy, can I make a better radio pretty please?' - Steve, I was heartbroken but had to tell him, 'No Scotty, I'm sorry but It might make Steve Jobs mad'. At that moment I saw the twinkle leave his eye and we both sobbed ..."

People! For goodness sake, protect your children from these people. Let the children's laughter remind us of how we used to be.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here's the final official version
  • Reply 39 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Here's the final official version

Hard to believe they put:

"Buy Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex by CSS on iTunes."

on their site. I actually think the official version is worse. That line about music is my boyfriend, god that is such a whiney corny teenage line. What next Avril Lavigne's Hey, hey, you, you, I don't like your girlfriend?

Apple's ads used to be great - that one about put some music on with the shuffle. It's been downhill over the past year or so. Apple has lost their touch so to speak. Hey maybe I should write their songs.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    I think more ads would be effective if the people who love and buy the products made them (especially if they do it without a monetary incentive).

Heck, it's working for politicians too... Ron Paul, anyone?