My New Aluminum iMac Experience

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post


    Hello again everybody. I just wanted to update you on the thread I started here. After the new updates issued by Apply yesterday my iMac is running top notch. However I did have some concerns about all the power shutdowns I had to do with my iMacs so I called my local Apple Store about it and the manager apologized for all that I had to deal with and told me to come down and he would swap out macs for me at no charge so I agreed. When I packed up the iMac I headed off to the Apple Store to be greeted by the manager himself as he cheerfully exchanged the machines out for me and offered to check the new machine on the spot. In addition he had the Apple Genuis add more RAM for me at no charge, gave me OS X Leopard free of charge, Gave me a couple Leopard T-Shirts and some Apple stationary paper pads as well. On top of all that he gave my four year old son who was with me a copy of Lego Star Wars. I am completely amazed by Apple's customer service and I actually feel bad for complaining about them on this forum over the Aluminum iMac issues. I have fully regained faith in Apple Inc.



    Excellent. That's probably earned Apple a customer for life, wouldn't you say?



    Sounds like they should put that guy in charge of Apple Japan customer services. They really don't know what they are doing over there.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    I bought a new 20" 2.4GHz on Thursday the 25th. Came home and found a dead (black) pixel.

    Took it back on the 26th and was given a new one.

    Set it up, and, yes again, there's one on the new one too. This one is smaller though - I don't know why there is a size difference.

    I've been out of town for a week, so I'm taking it back this morning.

    I could live with it if it were in a corner, but it's right above my dock.



    Also, the reason that I switched to a Mac was because I was tired of messing with stuff.

    I spent $1,500 and for that, I really do expect perfection!

    Wish me luck....



    On another note, has anyone else noticed that the colors of the icons on the dock are less vibrant that they were with the white iMacs? Mine seem washed out a little - on both iMacs that I've recently had.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post


    On another note, has anyone else noticed that the colors of the icons on the dock are less vibrant that they were with the white iMacs? Mine seem washed out a little - on both iMacs that I've recently had.



    That's because the new 20" iMac uses cheaper TN panels, whilst the old ones (and the current 24" one) use IPS panels.



    Also, have you run the display calibration process (accessible from the displays control pane)? That might help a bit.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    That's because the new 20" iMac uses cheaper TN panels, whilst the old ones (and the current 24" one) use IPS panels.



    Also, have you run the display calibration process (accessible from the displays control pane)? That might help a bit.



    OK, I just did that, and changed the setting from 1.8 gamma to 2.2 gamma. That's much more like the older iMac, if not exactly like it.

    I didn't fix my pixel though.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post


    I bought a new 20" 2.4GHz on Thursday the 25th. Came home and found a dead (black) pixel.

    Took it back on the 26th and was given a new one.

    Set it up, and, yes again, there's one on the new one too. This one is smaller though - I don't know why there is a size difference.

    I've been out of town for a week, so I'm taking it back this morning.

    I could live with it if it were in a corner, but it's right above my dock.



    Also, the reason that I switched to a Mac was because I was tired of messing with stuff.

    I spent $1,500 and for that, I really do expect perfection!

    Wish me luck....



    On another note, has anyone else noticed that the colors of the icons on the dock are less vibrant that they were with the white iMacs? Mine seem washed out a little - on both iMacs that I've recently had.



    After further review, I found that it's not a stuck or dead pixel. It's a defect in the glass. I noticed it while I was boxing it up to take to my local Apple Store (Madison, WI). I'm still taking it in anyway because a defect is a defect.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post


    After further review, I found that it's not a stuck or dead pixel. It's a defect in the glass. I noticed it while I was boxing it up to take to my local Apple Store (Madison, WI). I'm still taking it in anyway because a defect is a defect.



    Great News! All that it was was a bit of dust under the glass. The Apple Genius fixed it right away,

  • Reply 27 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Just got my 24" iMac yesterday she's perfect!
  • Reply 28 of 47
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Just got my 24" iMac yesterday she's perfect!



    Hope you enjoy it without those freeze probs



    I ordered my iMac on Oct 17th and I still haven't got it yet. They change the estimated delivery time back and forth like playing trick. I just hope it will one day come to me and has not many probs
  • Reply 29 of 47
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Just got my 24" iMac yesterday she's perfect!



    EXCELLENT.

    I went with a 20" and a second monitor instead of a 24". It fits better on my desk - as shown in the pic.

  • Reply 30 of 47
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    ^ Nice setup.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm very jelous of iMick's set up.



    My wife's got an aging pc she refuses to give up.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    I'm very jelous of iMick's set up.



    My wife's got an aging pc she refuses to give up.



    Once you start using 2 monitors, you'll never go back to just one.

    For about $200 you can be all set up with the extra monitor.

    Just make sure that your new one has a dvi port on it, then get a

    mini-dvi to dvi adaptor from Apple. It's very easy to configure.



    Here's the link to the dvi adapter --> http://tinyurl.com/36hl5l



    Or, you CAN use the vga port on a second monitor instead of a dvi port if it doesn't have a dvi port.

    Here's the link to the mini-dvi to vga adapter --> http://tinyurl.com/3ccv87

    (I'm not 100% sure that this one is correct. The Apple Store will help you though.)
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post


    Once you start using 2 monitors, you'll never go back to just one.

    For about $200 you can be all set up with the extra monitor.

    Just make sure that your new one has a dvi port on it, then get a

    mini-dvi to dvi adaptor from Apple. It's very easy to configure.



    Here's the link to the dvi adapter --> http://tinyurl.com/36hl5l



    Or, you CAN use the vga port on a second monitor instead of a dvi port if it doesn't have a dvi port.

    Here's the link to the mini-dvi to vga adapter --> http://tinyurl.com/3ccv87

    (I'm not 100% sure that this one is correct. The Apple Store will help you though.)



    How soon we forget.



    For a long time Macs with 2 monitors were standard for Graphic Designers, particularly since it was difficult for PC users to do they same. Then suddenly when PC users were not just getting the ability to have multiple monitors but virtually had it as a default with modern graphics cards, Apple took it away from Mac users (the time of the G3s and G4s).



    By the time Mac users could again attach 2 monitors, a whole generation had passed who didn't even have a clue how it boosted productivity. Apple finally brought it back at the non-Pro level with the 1st generation intel iMacs but has never offered matching monitor designs nor reasonable prices.



    Sadly this one step forward one step back is the result of being captive to Apple's erratic product marketing.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post


    but has never offered matching monitor designs nor reasonable prices.



    Wouldn't it be slick to have a second monitor that identically matched the iMac?

    They should just make an iMac, without the computer inside it. Even better, maybe they could add external firewire storage in it!
  • Reply 35 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post


    Apple took it away from Macusers (the time of the G3s and G4s).



    Um, no they didn't
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Um, no they didn't



    Oh yes they did. They were the first workhorse Macs in a very long time that didn't support 2 screens out of the box.



    In fact they used the equivalent graphics cards to PCs that had dual monitor support but offered only one port on the Macs.



    I had to wait over a year before I could find a halfway decent dual GC for my G4 and even then it cost me an arma and a leg.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post


    Oh yes they did. They were the first workhorse Macs in a very long time that didn't support 2 screens out of the box.



    In fact they used the equivalent graphics cards to PCs that had dual monitor support but offered only one port on the Macs.



    I had to wait over a year before I could find a halfway decent dual GC for my G4 and even then it cost me an arma and a leg.



    You could have just put a second graphics card in the machine. You didn't have to have one graphics card that would support two monitors.



    The OSes around during the G3/G4 era were OS 8, 9 and X, all of which support multiple monitors with suitable hardware. The capability was never taken away.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    You could have just put a second graphics card in the machine. You didn't have to have one graphics card that would support two monitors.



    The OSes around during the G3/G4 era were OS 8, 9 and X, all of which support multiple monitors with suitable hardware. The capability was never taken away.



    I should have been more explicit in my first post but did clarify in my 2nd.



    What they took away was the out-of-box dual monitor support.



    Because of the extremely limited, mediocre and expensive Graphics Cards that could be fitted in these models, most designers threw their hands up in the air, resigned themselves to having lost a great feature and went back to using just one monitor.



    After a while most of the designers I met didn't even know it was possible to have 2 monitors.



    And that is why so much of Adobe's software now presumes you only have one monitor and makes it awkward if you do in fact have 2 or more.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post


    It's pretty much the hugest problem with the new iMac. How could you not know of it?





    I have yet to hear a report of a 20" alu iMac that doesn't have this problem.





    Did any of the reviews of the 20" iMac even mention this? This is odd.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sammy Davis View Post


    Did any of the reviews of the 20" iMac even mention this? This is odd.



    Hardly. Most of the reviewers just do hagiographies of Apple and its offspring.



    MacWorld USA has made no mention of it and from previous experience, to mention anything negative, especially well founded, in the forums is to get kicked and have the thread napalmed.
Sign In or Register to comment.