The Switch to OS X: What will it take if you haven't already?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What features are you waiting for in OS X, or programs you HAVE to have native before you'll convert?

For me:

Dreamweaver

Final Cut Pro

After Effects

OS X in itself is good enough for me as it is right now, but I can't commit until I have those three locked in. Photoshop would be preferable, but when those others come around, I'll switch.

EDIT: CosmoNut needs to learn how to spell.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think the majority of people who haven't switched yet will switch when the apps that you mentioned are availible.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Oh, I'm sure a good deal are waiting for those, but I'm sure that quite a few are still waiting for other programs like GoLive, Director, FreeHand, Premiere, Norton Utilities, Quark XPress, etc. I'd like to hear each person's thoughts.

Heck, maybe someone still thinks OS X isn't stable enough yet.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm there now. But then, the apps I need are already there, and I have a fairly high tolerance for betaware. If it's in beta.

However, it fails the mom test. I'm not switching my mom over from OS 9 until the OS itself has some more spit and polish, and Omni releases a final version of OW 4.1. Right now it's good, and a quantum leap better than 10.0.x, but I don't see why all the pundits are exhorting people to upgrade now!!! When it's more predictable, smoother, and when basic aspects like networking and peripheral support are finished and complete I'll move her over and start recommending OS X to newbies. Things just have to work, promptly and reliably and intuitively, before it's ready for non-power users.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I wholeheartedly agree.

I've switched and I spend over 90% of my time in X on both my Ti PB 500 and my G4 500 DP. Mostly I love the interface and the Dev Tools, but I love trying new stuff too.

To try to stick to the topic at hand, I will not need to boot into 9 when these apps are carbonized:

Diablo II

Photoshop

WiTango Development Studio / Server

\t(it's a product similar to PHP, ASP, Lasso)

It also wouldn't hurt having a Baldur's Gate II app for X that doesn't suck.

-Ender
  • Reply 4 of 36
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Photoshop

Final Cut Pro

After Effects

I can leave others running under Classic
  • Reply 6 of 36
    enderender Posts: 353member
    --Double Post--

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Ender ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 36
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I have it running on one machine just now, but I still need a few things to go completely over to OS X. Final Cut Pro is the most important, but I'd also like to see DVD Studio Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Peak and Deck (Coming soon!), Logic Audio (January, I think?), and Final Draft.

I'd also like to see a few completed features in OS X itself, and version 4.5 of OmniWeb (CSS and Javascript!).
  • Reply 8 of 36
    [quote]However, it fails the mom test.<hr></blockquote>

That's funny! You're right Amorph. I would not upgrade my dad's machine for that very reason.

My hope is that InDesign will get OS Xed first, and kick Quark's sorry, monopolized behind. Quark has given us junk for so many years, and it's time for them to go.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    I keep finding reasons to boot into OS9 (usually something to do with digital audio hardware interface support) so often that more and more I just leave OS9 as my startup system folder. Even if I can accomplish 90% of my work in OSX and/or classic, I get tired of having to re-start in OS9 for some kind of hardware compatibility, so I just get back into the habit of booting into OS9 to start with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "OSX isn't ready for prime time" complainers. Actually it IS ready for prime time for almost every use. But people who depend on compatibility with special hardware can't switch yet.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The main thing keeping groverat from OSX is a Mac capable of running OSX.

Other than that, though, I'm happy with it.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    once my copy of office for x ships, then i'll be done
  • Reply 12 of 36
    once I get more ram and a burner for backup, i'll be there.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    For my wife's iMac 350:

Office X (i will have this in the next few weeks)

Palm Desktop

I hope Palm doesn't go bk. Their financials are looking grim these days.

I won't make a permanent switch on my G3 Beige 466 because in order to play Q3 I use my Voodoo 5 which means OS 9. However, I do plan on buying a new G4 in Jan. Then I'll make the switch and I'm looking forward to it. The only current non-carbonized app I need for X is GoLive.

matthew
  • Reply 14 of 36
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Give me...

PhotoShop

Dreamweaver

...and I'm there. Classic just sucks right now and is not an option for crunch time work. I can prob make the move with just PS, but use both on a daily basis.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    I'm on X but have to reboot into Classic for:

- Videoconferencing

- Virtual PC
  • Reply 16 of 36
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I've already switched, but I'm still waiting on Dreamweaver and Final Draft to be ported. The other features outweighed those though, so I'm already using OS X and booting Classic when I need those.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    It would be nice if Apple could get around to finishing OS X. I guess that would be asking too much though.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>However, it fails the mom test.</strong><hr></blockquote>

At my house, it fails the wife test. There are no OS X drivers for our Epson EPL-5700i laser printer. There's no point to expect my wife to understand that you can print in Classic but not in X, and deal with that problem. Therfore, the family iMac is still running Mac OS 9.2.1.

The iBook, which is for my (almost) exclusive use, is running 10.1.1 because (a) I like to be at the forefront of technology (b) I actually prefer the X interface and (c) MS Word Test Drive is available.

However, there's two more things which have prevented me from deleting OS 9 from my system. Palm Desktop for OS X is still MIA. And Microsoft still hasn't been able to deliver a copy of Office v.X to my academic reseller. I'm glad to see heavy demand for Office v.X, but the shipping delays are a pain in the ass.

Escher
  • Reply 19 of 36
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>It would be nice if Apple could get around to finishing OS X. I guess that would be asking too much though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The "classic" Mac OS (Uh... System...) is seventeen years old, and yet it's still not "finished".
  • Reply 20 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

The "classic" Mac OS (Uh... System...) is seventeen years old, and yet it's still not "finished". </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yea right. When OS X has basic hardware support for Apple's own hardware it will be closer to being "finished".

Look at Retrospect. They can't port it to OS X because of "issues". The main issue being OS X is not finished.

Where support for Quicktime compatible USB cameras. Oh wait there isn't any. Dang! And here I thought I had the worlds most advanced operating system.