new macbook pros

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I hope not. I don't want a 7200rpm drive in my laptop. I prefer the quieter, more reliable, lower power consuming 5400 rpm drives.

agree... I know 7200 should be faster but 5400 is fast enough or not too much slower than 7200. I also like the other benefits listed above.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Penryn Mobile is expected Q1 2008 at 2.1-2.6Ghz

GeForce 8700m sounds good with 256MB of RAM and BTO 512MB options

4GB RAM support is a given. We have that now. I don't care what Apple ships standard

Blu-ray drive is NOT happening. The only slot load drive is a Panasonic playback device

A 200GB 7200rpm drive would be my choice. A Pro laptop should standardize on 7200 rpm.

No real need for media keys. That's hokey PC laptop kind of stuff. Front Row and a remote is all that's needed.

Fingerprint reader= corny faux security.

i agree with all the above. it looks like my next mac will be the penryn-based MBP (can't wait til nehelem), some something like what you describe will be fine.

afaik, the 7200rpm drive will be helpful for those occasions when it is unavoidable to use the internal drive the scratch disc. a good choice for editing on the road.

yes, blu-ray not anytime soon. no authoring tools for mac atm, and not likely soon either.

Quote:

Yeah because there are so many laptops with Firewire 800, 400 and DVI ports. I don't think Apple is milking anyone but rather they simply aren't catering to spec whores.

i agree! although an e-sata port would be nice for uncompressed HD (keeping in mind the express slot would be taken up by an adapter for the BM intensity card)
  • Reply 23 of 28
    days since update 170 (Avg = 186)
  • Reply 24 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4everskiff View Post

yes, you're right, indeed! sure, no problems on this way... but, look at this

I would be disappointed if, just few months later, MBPs would be like that. My MBP would seem actually overtaken...

Or worse, you buy a MacBook just cause you want a portable, and a few months later the Mac touch® (10-11" tablet) is released
  • Reply 25 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Or worse, you buy a MacBook just cause you want a portable, and a few months later the Mac touch® (10-11" tablet) is released

If that happened to me it would be better, not worse.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    wow, I wonder when will Mac update their whole laptop line with Penryn. If I recall seeing a Benchmark between (the current one is Meron rite?) current Intel with Penryn. The Penryn is a huge step up in performance. So If its not too long Im deciding to wait till the Penryn appear in MacBook's. And if its release in April, I would even be happier cause I got some national service camp for 3 months. No technology!!!!! The horror! the cruelty!!!
  • Reply 27 of 28
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

wow, I wonder when will Mac update their whole laptop line with Penryn. If I recall seeing a Benchmark between (the current one is Meron rite?) current Intel with Penryn. The Penryn is a huge step up in performance. So If its not too long Im deciding to wait till the Penryn appear in MacBook's. And if its release in April, I would even be happier cause I got some national service camp for 3 months. No technology!!!!! The horror! the cruelty!!!

This message brought to you by the Language Police:

The company is called Apple, not Mac

The current processor is called Merom

The plural of MacBook is MacBooks

Thank you.

Now, on to the questions you asked.

Currently, only desktop variants of Penryn are available from Intel. The only machines that Apple make that can take these processors is the Mac Pro. Apple has been very sluggish keeping this machine up-to-date, so it's anyone's guess as to when it'll be updated.

Penryn for laptops should arrive sometime in January. Personally, I'm expecting the MacBook Pro and iMac to go Penryn by the end of February, with the MacBook switching later.

Penryn only delivers the significant improvements you allude to for multi-media applications (such as compressing video) that have been especially re-written to take advantage of SSE4, which is a set of new processor instructions introduced with Penryn.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4everskiff View Post

yes, you're right, indeed! sure, no problems on this way... but, look at this

I would be disappointed if, just few months later, MBPs would be like that. My MBP would seem actually overtaken...

ugh,

please no. that looks so cheap compared to the current model. That looks like Toshiba.

the MBP needs something really special to update it. Not this by far.

the Macbook pro should look professional.