Apple sells 2 million copies of Mac OS X Leopard in first weekend

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post

I've not heard of a lot of people getting blue screens installing OS X.

OS X doesn't give blue screens.

Apparently, according the Mac Core and Tyical Mac User podcasts, it does at some points. Unless they spoke metaphorically and it's really just a grey screen???

Also as pointed out elsewhere, many of the problems may be due to some code from Unsanity Software, used by them and a number of other ISV's which goes under the acronym of "APE" (Application ?? Enhancer) to juice up their Mac Apps. The existing APE was not Leopard compatible on Wednesday, and the ISV's don't always tell buyers it's being installed -- and more to the point, it is not removed by dragging the the App it enhances to the recycle bin.

According to Wikipedia:

"With the release of Mac OS X Leopard several users began to report problems with their upgraded systems.[2]. The problems occurred when using the "Upgrade" option rather than the "clean" or "Archive and Install" option. Symptoms included hour long "blue screens" on restart and systems hung inoperable for hours at a time. Users gradually discovered the error and were able to fix it by booting into single user mode and removing all vestiges of the Application Enhancer framework. On 27 October 2007 Unsanity alerted mailing list subscribers of the issue and advised them to have the latest version of the Application Enhancer framework installed prior to installing or upgrading to Leopard[3].

Unsanity recommends that users wishing to install Mac OS X 10.5 should upgrade their version of APE to v2.0.3 prior to the OS installation."

Further, many of the problems may be on machines where users are NOT doing Archive and Install or Erase and Install.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I still don't understand why people feel the need to pretend there is some kind of battle going on between Windows and OSx they do not even compete in an open market, until OSx is available to install on any system it's not in competition with Windows.

Windows users for the most part don't even know anything about Leopard, so the claim that the tide is changing and we are going to see numbers beyond our wildest dream is stupid, we won't see numbers any higher than users that have Apple hardware. Its a pretty simple number to figure out.

Maybe, maybe not. See, e.g., Mac Observer.

And many users of Vista ARE "downgrading" to XP even after MS has had a year to spiff it up and for people to adapt to the "improvements." (After 20 years of MS computing, I can't figure out IE 7 to save my life or even find things like page refresh -- and it has the "ribbon" interface that Office '07 touts, though I've never tried it.) Let alone deal with all the warning pop-ups that seem to occur constantly.

The article also has a few good comments. One Brit gave this ringing defense of Vista: it's "not a total bag of spanners."

We're not yet at a time, and probably won't ever be, though stranger things have happened in history, when Steve Jobs is beseeched the masses saying, "we can't afford Macs," and replies, "Well then, let them run Vista."

But the way things are going I don't think a 15-20% US Apple personal computer market share (gradually echoed mostly world-wide) is out of the question. Which would be an amazing accomplishment for a company many had written off and which has to R&D all its own hardware AND core software.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Apparently, according the Mac Core and Tyical Mac User podcasts, it does at some points. Unless they spoke metaphorically and it's really just a grey screen???

Also as pointed out elsewhere, many of the problems may be due to some code from Unsanity Software, used by them and a number of other ISV's which goes under the acronym of "APE" (Application ?? Enhancer) to juice up their Mac Apps. The existing APE was not Leopard compatible on Wednesday, and the ISV's don't always tell buyers it's being installed -- and more to the point, it is not removed by dragging the the App it enhances to the recycle bin.

According to Wikipedia:

"With the release of Mac OS X Leopard several users began to report problems with their upgraded systems.[2]. The problems occurred when using the "Upgrade" option rather than the "clean" or "Archive and Install" option. Symptoms included hour long "blue screens" on restart and systems hung inoperable for hours at a time. Users gradually discovered the error and were able to fix it by booting into single user mode and removing all vestiges of the Application Enhancer framework. On 27 October 2007 Unsanity alerted mailing list subscribers of the issue and advised them to have the latest version of the Application Enhancer framework installed prior to installing or upgrading to Leopard[3].

Unsanity recommends that users wishing to install Mac OS X 10.5 should upgrade their version of APE to v2.0.3 prior to the OS installation."

Further, many of the problems may be on machines where users are NOT doing Archive and Install or Erase and Install.

Maybe, maybe not. See, e.g., Mac Observer.

And many users of Vista ARE "downgrading" to XP even after MS has had a year to spiff it up and for people to adapt to the "improvements." (After 20 years of MS computing, I can't figure out IE 7 to save my life or even find things like page refresh -- and it has the "ribbon" interface that Office '07 touts, though I've never tried it.) Let alone deal with all the warning pop-ups that seem to occur constantly.

The article also has a few good comments. One Brit gave this ringing defense of Vista: it's "not a total bag of spanners."

We're not yet at a time, and probably won't ever be, though stranger things have happened in history, when Steve Jobs is beseeched the masses saying, "we can't afford Macs," and replies, "Well then, let them run Vista."

But the way things are going I don't think a 15-20% US Apple personal computer market share (gradually echoed mostly world-wide) is out of the question. Which would be an amazing accomplishment for a company many had written off and which has to R&D all its own hardware AND core software.

Just as a note to some on this forum the other issues appears to be Divx related, having problems with Finders. Friend of mine had this problem had to rename the Divx network support file. I would expect this to be a less common problem, not sure how many use Divx on their Macs.

To address your other point, I hope for the day Apple can gain more market share in regards to their OS, not because I want to see them beat anyone but I would to see far more third party applications available for the platform. Right now its just not worth it for most vendors to put in the time and money for 5% of the market. Not to mention that would be if the entire Mac base bought the product.

Strong competition is always good for the end user.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post

I've not heard of a lot of people getting blue screens installing OS X.

OS X doesn't give blue screens.

When was the last time you turned on your computer?

At startup, the screen is grey, then grey with a spinning little circle thingy, then blue, then the 'loading' window pops up for a second before the login screen. The people experiencing problems with leopard installs apparently get stuck at this blue screen before boot for an indefinite amount of time (until they give up and try something else).
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

At startup, the screen is grey, then grey with a spinning little circle thingy, then blue, then the 'loading' window pops up for a second before the login screen.

Yes but NONE of those are error screens, which is what a 'blue screen' refers to

Quote:

The people experiencing problems with leopard installs apparently get stuck at this blue screen before boot for an indefinite amount of time

That may be, but it's NOT Leopards fault. The reason why these people have these problems is because they are using third-party "enhancement" software which is incompatible.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

When was the last time you turned on your computer?

At startup, the screen is grey, then grey with a spinning little circle thingy, then blue, then the 'loading' window pops up for a second before the login screen. The people experiencing problems with leopard installs apparently get stuck at this blue screen before boot for an indefinite amount of time (until they give up and try something else).

I recall reading the reason was a 3rd party app b Unsanity that is incompatible with Leopard. Can find the source if you really want me to.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyMac8MyPC View Post

Yes but NONE of those are error screens, which is what a 'blue screen' refers to

That may be, but it's NOT Leopards fault. The reason why these people have these problems is because they are using third-party "enhancement" software which is incompatible.

Third part software is a part of computer life. It's Apple's fault for not allowing users to test a beta version of Leopard and allowing the user population to report bugs before it comes to market.

When you try to keep everything a big secret and by the way what was that big secret feature in Leopard anyways, things like this are going to happen. This is a bug that could have been totally avoided.

This has always been Apple problem unless things are confined to their little software base world things go to hell.

People bash MS talking about bugs and updates, Apple would never be able to survive in the world that MS has to tolerate with the amount of third part hardware, drivers and software available for Windows based systems. One small third party apps and Leopard can't even boot, the OS isn't suppose to fail the third party app should have failed.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I recall reading the reason was a 3rd party app b Unsanity that is incompatible with Leopard. Can find the source if you really want me too.

All someone has to do is go to the apple website click on support and its the top issue reported.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Third part software is a part of computer life. It's Apple's fault for not allowing users to test a beta version of Leopard and allowing the user population to report bugs before it comes to market.

Hogwash! Unlike MS, Apple has always given developers what they need to make the right decisions when coding. You must be confusing one for the other.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Hogwash! Unlike MS, Apple has always given developers what they need to make the right decisions when coding. You must be confusing one for the other.

I think you are the one that is confused. Airport cards not working, wireless b/g network issues, can you find an HP driver for 10.5 yet, I don't think so and the canned 10.5 drivers barely work.

Apple has about 1% of the amount of third party apps that Windows have to deal with and they couldn't even get that right.

So much for it works just like plugging in your toaster. Good luck to anyone that has an HP printer. Not to metion with 10.5 their are CS3 printing issues.

Check out

Macfixit.com for a list of just some of the reported issues. Check it often it keeps growing by the hour.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

But that's not letting regular users trying it out. The dev community isn't that big.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But that's not letting regular users trying it out. The dev community isn't that big.

Exactly and for people that switch and are lead to believe an Apple system just works, they are going to be surprised when it won't connect to their belkin router or they have to buy a new printer because there isn't any driver support. Yep thats going to win over people.

If Apple is suppose to be 'better" then MS they they should have been working with these vendors to ensure driver support. Hack third party apps is one thing but lack of driver support for printers and wireless routers is unacceptable.

I mean its all good for me I had no plans on upgrading because I knew this kind of stuff was going to happen. It should be good to upgrade at about 10.5.5

I also agree with you totally that Apple needs to get out of this secret mode and allow users to help them test new products.

Also can you please tell me because I must be missing it what was the secret feature anyways?
  • Reply 52 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lgc90 View Post

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how many copies of Vista were sold in the same time? I can't find anything on wikipedia.

I wonder what the spike was in external hard drive sales. Too bad Apple didn't come out with their own in that you have to have one to get the Time Machine working. The sales for Iomega and Lacie. etc must have jumped like newborns during a blackout.

BTW got Leopard for only $99 Friday night here in NYC at J&R- the best deal!
  • Reply 53 of 60
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

I think you are the one that is confused. Airport cards not working, wireless b/g network issues, can you find an HP driver for 10.5 yet, I don't think so and the canned 10.5 drivers barely work.

Apple has about 1% of the amount of third party apps that Windows have to deal with and they couldn't even get that right.

So much for it works just like plugging in your toaster. Good luck to anyone that has an HP printer. Not to metion with 10.5 their are CS3 printing issues.

Check out

Macfixit.com for a list of just some of the reported issues. Check it often it keeps growing by the hour.

I don't get your peeve. First off, Apple is not responsible for what third parties do or don't do. HP's lack of drivers is, well, HP's responsibility. Second, blaming these problems on the basis that it is so because Apple didn't have a beta version for users to test on is silly. That would have made no difference. Just look at Vista. MS did have a beta out for Vista, did that do any good?

If you want to blame, then blame the right cause.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

I don't get your peeve. First off, Apple is not responsible for what third parties do or don't do. HP's lack of drivers is, well, HP's responsibility. Second, blaming these problems on the basis that it is so because Apple didn't have a beta version for users to test on is silly. That would have made no difference. Just look at Vista. MS did have a beta out for Vista, did that do any good?

If you want to blame, then blame the right cause.

Yeah Vista works fine and by the way for Vista 2 milions sales most likely happened in the first hour not week. I have not run into one issue with Vista drivers. See when you own 95% of the OS market vendors tend to respond quickly, do you think HP would let things go a long time without Vista drivers, do you know how much that would impact their sales? They don't have to worry about stuff like that when it comes to Apple because there is little to no market share, that is why Apple needs to be proactive.

Apple can not get away with the same things MS can and expect to gain any ground. That is the key point so saying its all on HP, it isn't its on Apple to be proactive and make sure they work closely with third party vendors.

If somone is a new Mac buyer and they come home with their new iMac and their printer and wireless don't work who do you think they are going to blame? There going to return their Mac and buy a PC and never buy a Mac again. Thats the point.

Other features in Leopard like Time Machine, where users can not change how often they want to schedule a backup. What is this freaking AOL? It's a joke.

All the koolaid drinkers keep saying their is going to be this major change of tides they are right the only problem is if Apple keep this up they are going to be back to 2% market share.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

People don't talk about that kind of stuff here because it would mess up the illusion that Apple is perfect. You know the "it just works" bullshit. Maybe one day if Steve Jobs wasn't so paranoid he would allow his beta version to be tested the the general population instead of the 1970's theory that everything needs to be keep secret.

Clearly the Application Enhancement issue and the Divx network support issue would have been caught and fixed.

Steve Jobs doesn't allow people to compute the way they want to compute he forces you to do so the way he wants. Time Machine is another perfect example you can not change the settings to make a backup when you want it makes one once an hour and that can't be changed. Also he has decided that your desktop should remain clean hense the Grid effect which can not be modified. Apple products most of the time work fairly well but I can tell you from using them along time they aren't big on allowing the end user choice.

To even speak like this on this forum is like Harry Potter talking about Lord Voldemort.

Oh, blow me, you twit. People on these forums can and do take Apple to task for things they don't like, and certainly aren't shy about speaking up if something seems to be going wrong.

This constant "No one dare breath a word against the mighty Lord Jobs on these forums lest their tender little fan boy world be shattered" nonsense is incredibly grating, entirely pointless and demonstrably bullshit. It's a lazy way of feigning superiority to the poor, benighted maclots.

If you find the company so grimly single minded, why do you hang out here?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, blow me, you twit. People on these forums can and do take Apple to task for things they don't like, and certainly aren't shy about speaking up if something seems to be going wrong.

This constant "No one dare breath a word against the mighty Lord Jobs on these forums lest their tender little fan boy world be shattered" nonsense is incredibly grating, entirely pointless and demonstrably bullshit. It's a lazy way of feigning superiority to the poor, benighted maclots.

If you find the company so grimly single minded, why do you hang out here?

I stay here because I like annoying assholes like you. Hope thats a good enough reason for you.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Quote:

Third part software is a part of computer life.

Then you should know by now that one company does not control another

Quote:

It's Apple's fault for not allowing users to test a beta version of Leopard and allowing the user population to report bugs before it comes to market.

This has NOTHING to do with Apple, and everything to do with each individual third party company! Common sense should tell you that if it were Apples fault then everyone would be experiencing this problem, but that's NOT the case. The only people who are experiencing this problem are those who use the faulty third party software. If you want to howl at the moon then that's fine, but at least blame the right company.

Quote:

Time Machine is another perfect example you can not change the settings to make a backup when you want it makes one once an hour and that can't be changed.

Are you done acting ignorant? You can make a backup with Time Machine ANYTIME that you want by simply holding down the space bar and clicking on the Time Machine icon. The only thing that can't be changed is your narrow-mindedness
  • Reply 58 of 60
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I stay here because I like annoying assholes like you. Hope thats a good enough reason for you.

Yeah yeah, so's your old man and all that, but even so: lots of people on these forums routinely lambast Apple, bemoan its more boneheaded moves, have their heads asplode when something goes wrong, wonder why Apple is so stupid as to not immediately do x, since x is obviously the next bestest possible thing to do, shake their heads in bemused wonderment that some glaring flaw can go unresolved for years on end, go bugged eyed that some new glaring flaw has been foisted upon us, etc., etc.

But you, not infrequently, go with the "all the Mac drones are obligated to toe the party line blah blah blah" thing, for no better reason (it would appear) than that sometimes some people disagree with you.

See how that works? Everybody doesn't fall in line every time with your particular take, so the whole board must be one big Steve worshipping collective. And you get to be the clear thinking, hard nosed realist, brusquely shoving aside a mob of glassy eyed zombies.

Which is fine and dandy, just totally unjustified and self aggrandizing.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Slight correction: you're leaving here because you, as you put it, "Like annoying."

Go annoy someone else at some other forum.

Bye.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyMac8MyPC View Post

Or it could just refer to a screen that is blue...

Jk, I agree that it is not Leopard's fault, developers should get beta copies of leopard to make sure that their software works properly. Apple may have changed something that screws up their program(s), but they are still the ones that have to fix it.