An Introductory Mac OS X Leopard Review: Core Graphics and the New UI

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

No, we're acting as though it takes away functionality that was there before. Which it does.

I suppose if you use that one function. I've just found it to be annoying.

I remember when "spring" folders first came out. most people hated them. Interesting how that seems to have changed with some.

I do have a question though. I'm getting a strange problem. I get a notice window that tells me that the Quick Look Server quit. It seems to be blaming "the AviImporter plug-in". But, I can't ind such a pug-in no matter how, or where I look.

The app must be auto re-starting, because soon after I dismiss it, I get the notice again. It happens shortly after I open one of the folders in the Dock that we're talking about.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I do have a question though. I'm getting a strange problem. I get a notice window that tells me that the Quick Look Server quit. It seems to be blaming "the AviImporter plug-in". But, I can't ind such a pug-in no matter how, or where I look.

Any ideas?

Have you looked in /Library/QuickTime , /System/Library/QuickTime , and ~/Library/QuickTime? (the last directory might not exist)
  • Reply 23 of 33
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Point taken.

Because the appearance changes constantly. And that means you don't know what to look for in the dock, including no way to tell one stack from another without looking at the name. Not to mention situations where a stack looks like an app or document. Overall, it's a step back from before, when you saw a folder icon and you immediately knew it was a folder (and WHICH folder if it had a custom folder icon).

No, we're acting as though it takes away functionality that was there before. Which it does.

Stacks is and are so stupid!!! To scroll through is a stack is like NOT what i want to be doing to look for a file. Pure cosmetic dreck.

And the new folders are just plain fugly. Are they made out of recycled paper? Look at them in coverflow - they are covered with speckles!!! GROSS!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Have you looked in /Library/QuickTime , /System/Library/QuickTime , and ~/Library/QuickTime? (the last directory might not exist)

Yeah. Nothing like it. I do have Flip4Mac. but there doesn't seem to be a file by the name mentioned in the alert anywhere. I looked in Safari, etc as well. Spotlight can't find it either. Same thing for VLC and other players.

Very strange. It also seems to occur when looking a a folder with images. Sometimes, as it updates the icons, it pops up several times, but then stops. Really odd.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

Yeah. Nothing like it. I do have Flip4Mac. but there doesn't seem to be a file by the name mentioned in the alert anywhere. I looked in Safari, etc as well. Spotlight can't find it either. Same thing for VLC and other players.

Very strange. It also seems to occur when looking a a folder with images. Sometimes, as it updates the icons, it pops up several times, but then stops. Really odd.

Do you have Perian installed?

Spotlight doesn't search most system files, so you'd be unlikely to find it with that.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Do you have Perian installed?

No I don't.

Quote:

Spotlight doesn't search most system files, so you'd be unlikely to find it with that.

That's why I search those files manually. It doesn't take too long, considering that it's so rare that I need to do so.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    O.K., how about this?

Follow this hint to set up DTrace to provide a real-time print-out to the terminal of applications/processes accessing files on the hard drive. Once it's set up, try and produce a QuickLook crash. Hopefully something will appear in the DTrace printout that gives a clue as to where AVIimporter is.

Good luck.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

O.K., how about this?

Follow this hint to set up DTrace to provide a real-time print-out to the terminal of applications/processes accessing files on the hard drive. Once it's set up, try and produce a QuickLook crash. Hopefully something will appear in the DTrace printout that gives a clue as to where AVIimporter is.

Good luck.

Good idea. I'll check it out.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Hey! How can I take screenshots of apps and also have the shadow included? CMD + Shit + 4 and then Space doesn't include the shadow. All screen shots from this article have these shadows. How is this done? Thank you
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

O.K., how about this?

Good luck.

It turns out that there is a bug with QuickLook. Hopefully, 10.5.1, which I hope comes out quickly, will fix this.

I've also noticed another oddity. Sometimes, if I scroll in a finder window, the contents don't get written properly, and fade away (this includes the sidebar). At first, I thought this was happening in one program, because it was a window in Thoth, my newsreader, which has never had that problem before. But, then I noticed it happening in random Finder windows. The only way to fix it is to shrink the window, and stretch it out again, or close it and reopen it.

I also have had Safari crash several times after not having that problem the first few days. I mentioned it here happening on an AI page, from Flash, but the other reasons may be unrelated, at least the error windows seem to think so.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

It turns out that there is a bug with QuickLook. Hopefully, 10.5.1, which I hope comes out quickly, will fix this.

You say this as if it has been noted elsewhere. Could you point us in that direction?

Presumably this means that AVIimporter is inside the QuickLook package somewhere?

Did you try the DTrace thing? If so, what did you see?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

You say this as if it has been noted elsewhere. Could you point us in that direction?

Presumably this means that AVIimporter is inside the QuickLook package somewhere?

Did you try the DTrace thing? If so, what did you see?

This is one place I read it, there are others.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...-dies-of-shock

I haven't had time to do the DTrace, because I will have to install the developer tools, and I haven't decided to do that yet. Remember, I'm not a developer, so I will have to study these tools a bit before I use them.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

This is one place I read it, there are others.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...-dies-of-shock

I haven't had time to do the DTrace, because I will have to install the developer tools, and I haven't decided to do that yet. Remember, I'm not a developer, so I will have to study these tools a bit before I use them.

Cheers.

Keep us posted on whether 10.5.1 (when it appears) fixes your problems.