Stacks!?! why do you use them?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i dont know what the hell is going on with stacks. but i cant find a reason to use them.

for those of you who dont know, you can "command + click" to get them to open in finder, which i constantly find myself doing.

the only way i could see stacks being useful would be if smart folders were capable of being a stack. say, you set a folder to apps or files opened in the last 3 days...that would be handy/

any other suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    i don't know why everyone hates stacks so much. i have certain job folders in there. i like being able to open the stack and hit the indesign or photoshop doc i need without having to open the window, navigate to the file and than have an extra finder window open. i think smart folder stacks would be very useful as well, but i've found some use for stacks already.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't understand either. Stacks seems fine to me. I'm more a fan of the Grid layout than the fan but I don't see where they deserve trashed so much.

I don't have Leopard yet but I'm guessing that I'll have an Application Stack and my documents will be fetched using Spotlight or Smart Folders.

My eventual goal is to have maxed out memory in every computer so that I just leave apps running in their appropriate Spaces window. Thus my Stacks may only contain the apps I use "every so often"
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Check out the thread I started at Mac Rumours: Those Fancy Stack Moves

And watch the beginning of the movie I linked to.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Reasons why not:

The folders in my dock have (used to have) dozens of items each. Both the grid and curved view are horribly inefficient for visually scanning for and then clicking on an item.

Imagine if our normal menus were also transformed into grids of objects or pointlessly curved lists of only the first few items. They also would be amazingly inefficient to use.

Stacks can be useful but the curved view is simply idiotic. Granted, the grid view can be useful, but not nearly as useful as the previous style pop-up list. Many, many users have been forced to adopt new and more inefficient workflows.

We have thousands of years of experience in displaying groups of items on a 2D surface for quick perusal... and apple throws it all away for this curvy bullshit?

Apple should be embarrassed for removing such highly relied upon functionality. Words simply cannot describe the shear insanity of it.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Apple should be embarrassed for removing such highly relied upon functionality. Words simply cannot describe the shear insanity of it.

I agree, give us a way to turn this off!

Why can't I open a window from the Dock anymore with one simple click? This is remarkably stupid.

"Show In Finder" is now on the very frigging top of this stupid fan crap. What used to take ONE CLICK now takes TWO CLICKS + MOUSING AROUND. Also, why am I getting that shit tinted window instead of the damn folder I want?

Insanity, and a gigantic waste of time.

Also, I cannot tell one folder from another in the Dock anymore without mousing over them. Apple has completely screwed this up. How do we tell one icon from another anymore? Please explain to me what the purpose of an icon is. Then, someone explain it to Apple.

These moronic changes and the fact that EVERY DAMN FINDER WINDOW / FOLDER in the Finder / must have it's View set MANUALLY. Each and every one, thousands upon thousands of them. You will look at the window the way we tell you to, or, fix it yourself over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Some of the most absurd, idiotic Finder/OS attributes I've ever come across. It is so damned frustrating trying to work in this manner. Keep in mind they did this on purpose.

Why? There are so many decent things in 10.5 but these things make it virtually UNUSABLE.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Oh yeah, you reminded me that I forgot to rant about the stack icon insanity.

Random icons for folders instead of static ones that are easily and subconsciously recognized?

Where's my thesaurus? I need to look up a synonyms for stupidity. I can't seem to find one that describes the magnitude of how badly stacks have been implemented.

There's some good in stacks. But it is hard to recognize through all the other stupidity.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Stacks seems fine to me ... I don't see where they deserve trashed so much.

I don't have Leopard yet ....

Walk a mile in my shoes, brother. Try actually using Stacks for 24 hours then tell me it isn't the biggest load of bollocks ever forced on the Mac community.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    The mildly ridiculous workaround I've been trying to use is to create an alias and throw that in the Dock.

This stops the icon from previewing it's contents (so you can actually tell what it is). And it completely removes the stack behaviour! One click and it spawns a window

Now if I could find a way to set all the windows to remember their icon settings without having to check "Allways open window in XYZ"...
  • Reply 9 of 83
    they would be even better if you could do ctrl + click / right click operations on them
  • Reply 10 of 83
    its funny how lazy you people are. i for one have no problem moving my mouse or finger a few inches to get to open in finder. or just using it how it is.

if you want a folder to open at first click, just make an alias of the folder and put it down there.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

I agree, give us a way to turn this off!

Why can't I open a window from the Dock anymore with one simple click? This is remarkably stupid.

"Show In Finder" is now on the very frigging top of this stupid fan crap. What used to take ONE CLICK now takes TWO CLICKS + MOUSING AROUND. Also, why am I getting that shit tinted window instead of the damn folder I want?

Insanity, and a gigantic waste of time.

Just create an alias to a folder and drag it into the dock and you can use it just like previously (except no hierarchal menu view).
  • Reply 12 of 83
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I use stacks as an applications launcher. I do this by: (1) create an Applications folder under Library/Favorites then drag it to the dock (to the left of Downloads), (2) create aliases from applications that I use (command click on applications then choose create alias), (3) move them to Library/Favorites/Applications folder, (4) rename them (remove "Alias" postfix).
  • Reply 13 of 83
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I love stacks as well. It's useful for instant access to a work folder that houses most documents I use (in about 25 folders).

More importantly, it cleaned up my dock. I created MS Office, Creative Apps, iLife, and Apple Apps folders and stuck aliases to the appropriate applications therein. I can launch them in a single click and they're neatly sorted together. I deleted most from the standard dock, which gave me more room.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Walk a mile in my shoes, brother. Try actually using Stacks for 24 hours then tell me it isn't the biggest load of bollocks ever forced on the Mac community.

Maybe for a desktop/laptop with a mouse as a pointing device. . . but what about a tablet that you need to use with a finger? In my opinion, this is one of those things that will make "tablet" computing easier as soon as Apple wants to enter that niche in one form or another (read: Newton )

Just a thought. We don't know all the reasons behind "pointless" upgrades and enhancements, now do we.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Maybe for a desktop/laptop with a mouse as a pointing device. . . but what about a tablet that you need to use with a finger? In my opinion, this is one of those things that will make "tablet" computing easier as soon as Apple wants to enter that niche in one form or another (read: Newton )

Just a thought. We don't know all the reasons behind "pointless" upgrades and enhancements, now do we.

A fair point, which deserves another: the revamped Newton, if it comes to pass, will, in your own words, be a niche product at best. The majority will continue to use the traditional desktop/laptop+mouse setup for at least the lifespan of Leopard, likely way beyond.

Imagine the howls of protest if Apple had built Leopard around the OS X-lite applications present on the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone, but to each according to his need and all that. Those applications make sense on the iPhone, given the UI and the way the device is intended to be used. The Newton will probably have its own unique way of doing things, with a set of customized applications to match. To force the needs of a niche product -- real or imagined -- on your core customer base makes no sense at all.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Just create an alias to a folder and drag it into the dock and you can use it just like previously (except no hierarchal menu view).

Yep. Just do this, just do that, if YOU WORK HARD ENOUGH, do what we say, keep your chin up high, and do all the right things you're supposed to do, modify this and modify that, well, maybe then the OS will be decent enough for you to stomach.

Well, guess what? I just don't subscribe to that notion. My deep seated problem is that I've been an Mac OS user for over 23 years. I learned to expect better. But I'm not one of those OS 9 or bust guys; I've been an early X adopter for years. My fault I guess.

Here's what I've learned about being a newly infected member of the Apple lepard colony:

Leopard is the new Teenage OS.

It's all about iTunes. All the Finder "browsers" look exactly like iTunes. It's the iTunes generation; it's the iTunes OS.

Welcome to iTunes OS. Drop the Mac moniker, let's call it what it is.

It's all about shit moving back and forth. Zippy graphics. Lists in weird curves popping up, keeping little boys & girls who have less than 5 seconds of attention span busy. Keep them busy.

This is not about smart or intelligent computing. It's the Teenage OS, the iTunes Generation.

I've been an OS X supporter since 10.0. But today, now, this is really awful. For the first time EVER, I cannot and will not upgrade all my systems until these speedbumps on the road to success are plugged and/or fixed.

Let's face it, Siracusa was right when he said that the new requirement to set the View in every damned Finder ? was basically a denial of service attack by Apple.

I'm tired of this crapola. Give me something I can work with, PLEASE.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

i don't know why everyone hates stacks so much. i have certain job folders in there. i like being able to open the stack and hit the indesign or photoshop doc i need without having to open the window, navigate to the file and than have an extra finder window open. i think smart folder stacks would be very useful as well, but i've found some use for stacks already.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't understand either. Stacks seems fine to me. I'm more a fan of the Grid layout than the fan but I don't see where they deserve trashed so much.

I don't have Leopard yet but I'm guessing that I'll have an Application Stack and my documents will be fetched using Spotlight or Smart Folders.

My eventual goal is to have maxed out memory in every computer so that I just leave apps running in their appropriate Spaces window. Thus my Stacks may only contain the apps I use "every so often"

OK, someone explain it to me: how is Stacks, the way ya'll are describing using it, better than the current behavior-- the one that allows me to make a folder, put whatever Icon I want on it, put whatever I want in it, put it in the dock, and right click it or click and hold to get a (alphabetically) sorted, easy to view text list of the contents, as well as the ability to drill down just by shifting my cursor?

For instance, I, now, have an Adobe applications folder in the Dock. One click, and I have full, navigable access to everything in that folder, plus subfolders. I don't have to open a finder window, I just move the cursor to whatever app I want and click. I can drop other apps in there any time I want.

Ditto with Admactanium's workflow: why wouldn't you have job folders in a folder in the current dock? You get the access you want without having to open a finder window-- it's exactly what Stacks does, but easier to view (why wouldn't I want a vertical, white background window for my list of files? How does a fan running at odd angles and on top of the desktop with little to differentiate it improve on that?), with subfolder navigation, and no arbitrary limit on the number of files.

I honestly can't understand why seeing the same contents in a grid or fan, with tiny text labels, a limit on how many items can be seen at once, and no subfolder navigation is an improvement on what we have now.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    I am also a bit disappointed in Stacks - I used to be able to right-click on a folder in the dock and bring up a small simple menu of the items within it. Now, I have to navigate through some fairly large icons to get to what I want. I would be happy if Apple just added a "menu view" in addition to the fan/grid.

I think the fan view is cute - but it becomes annoying after a few minutes. Now, you have to move up and to the right instead of just up - and this requires more thought and wastes time.

And why not allow stacks to be on folders on the desktop ?? This would make it easier to open up a quick item without having to open the folder.

Please listen Apple - give us our efficiency back !!
  • Reply 19 of 83
    How about this solution:

Add a 3rd view option: List View

Single click a list-view stack and the old style pop-up list comes up. The main difference being, list view used to be invoked via the right mouse button and now it would be a normal, left click. This would make stack viewing behavior consistent across all views while not adding any interface complexity. (Double click could open the stack's actual folder.)

Seems so simple it is mind boggling that it isn't an option. I'm willing to bet it will be in less than a year. Let's just hope it is in far less time.

On the other hand, they could just get rid of the Finder's list view in order to make things consistent. After all, who needs an efficient listing of files.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Another thing for the Apple UI gurus to ponder - I just realized what else bothers me about stacks.

When you click on a stack, the dock should remain stationary. What I find myself doing is moving to an icon (I use the grid view) directly after clicking on the stack and then the entire stack view moves slightly. What I have to learn to do is to move up right after clicking on the stack -- and then over to the icon. This way the stack "window" remains stationary.

This should at least be an option in a Stacks preference pane (hint, hint Apple).

A Stacks preference pane could also have the preferred stack behavior (View as, sort by) maybe.

Phil