OWC brand memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OWC seems to be a pretty popular place for memory around here and I was wondering if anyone has any positives/negatives about the official "OWC" brand memory. I am thinking of getting this 4GB kit when I get my iMac in January -

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR4GBK/

With PC's I have tended to trust the big guys (Crucial, Corsair, Micron, Kingston, etc.) so I am kinda wary of going with a generic type.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

OWC seems to be a pretty popular place for memory around here and I was wondering if anyone has any positives/negatives about the official "OWC" brand memory. I am thinking of getting this 4GB kit when I get my iMac in January -

With PC's I have tended to trust the big guys (Crucial, Corsair, Micron, Kingston, etc.) so I am kinda wary of going with a generic type. Thoughts?

OWC sells Micron, too:

Micron 4.0GB (4096MB) (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit for all Apple 'Core 2 Duo' 2.2GHz - 2.6GHz MacBook ... more

Brand: Micron

OWC Item # OWC53DDR2MICP4G\t$179.99 \t

------

However, several AI members have used OWC. I think Lundy has used it.

One (not too long ago) post reported that some Kingston was not recommended for Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I've used OWC memory on every Macs since 2001, as well as many of my friends and colleagues. Zero problem, guaranteed compatibility, prompt service.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I second filburt. I've come to trust OWC for low prices and high quality ram.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    An earlier thread said that there was a glut of memory. It certainly seems so and is bringing memory cost way down.

A few weeks ago, OWC prices for the following was about $250.

-4.0GB (4096MB) (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit. OWC -now is $160.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

An earlier thread said that there was a glut of memory. It certainly seems so and is bringing memory cost way down.

A few weeks ago, OWC prices for the following was about $250.

-4.0GB (4096MB) (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit. OWC -now is $160.

how much apple charges for 4GB whooopppping $850!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    From Apple:

More memory (RAM) increases performance and enables your computer to run more applications at the same time. Choose additional 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) options for your iMac.

\t1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB

\t2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB [Add $150]

\t4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB [Add $850]

=================

The iMac comes with 1GB of memory. To add another 1GB the charge is $150. .

Then the first 1GB has added $150 to the cost of the iMac.

For 4GB the charge is $850 (plus the cost of the first GB)

That comes out to be $1000 for 4GB.

Compare that to $160 for OWC. Downright thievery. Of course, you're still paying $150 for that first GB that you can get a rebate of about $20 from OWC. Actually, that's not a bad deal as OWC charges $30 for a iGB stick.

I know this is sort of convoluted logic, but it really is thievery any way you look at it.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

how much apple charges for 4GB whooopppping $850!

Remember, that's an ADDITIONAL $850.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    wow you would think they would give ya a break after soending almost 2k on a imac or a book pro huh? ahwell I will also be ordering 3 gigs for my mini mac in the next couple weeks form these guys.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I've used OWC memory on every Macs since 2001, as well as many of my friends and colleagues. Zero problem, guaranteed compatibility, prompt service.

Yes, I third what Filburt said. I installed 4 GB of OWC ram on a new iMac, and it works fine.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert Dupree View Post

I installed 4 GB of OWC ram on a new iMac, and it works fine.

Me too! About $170 delivered overnight.

Now, I'm going to take that stock 1GB memory card and put it in my MacBook. I'm also going to go to Best Buy on Wednesday to add another 1GB, making 2GB.

Here's the link to the KByte memory that's on sale for $35 --> http://tinyurl.com/3cvzkl

What do you guys think about mixing the memory - The Hynix that came with my new iMac, and the KByte from BB? Will that be a problem? Or, should I just get two 1GB cards from OWC?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    I've had nothing but problem-free experiences using OWC and Transintl memory. I've installed it in my own machines over the years and have recommended it to friends looking to upgrade their ram.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    mbxbmbxb Posts: 1member
    I've dealt with OWC since the beige G3 days. Great people; Fair prices; Know their stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Remember, that's an ADDITIONAL $850.

Yes, it is in the extremes that you can still see the really atrocious Apple pricing. OWC proves that with the 4 GB kit that even made me consider a new Macbook.

I have used OWC memory and I had zero problems.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    On a related note, NEVER buy from 1-800-4-Memory.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

On a related note, NEVER buy from 1-800-4-Memory.

What's that?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    A company that sucks balls. They sent me ram that didn't work. After paying shipping both ways and paying a restocking fee, it cost me $80 for nothing.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I received some memory from OWC last week. It came with a double-sided page of iMac installation instructions on high-gloss, heavy-stock paperboard. Not that the instructions were necessary. But it definitely shows that OWC goes the extra mile.

That, and other nice touches like including drive mounting screws for the five oem drives I ordered. And best of all? They email you a text and pdf version of the invoice. The invoice has a clickable link that takes you directly to tracking results without any intermediate garbage.

OWC gets my seal of approval. (despite their obviously dated _looking_ website)
  • Reply 18 of 37
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

With PC's I have tended to trust the big guys (Crucial, Corsair, Micron, Kingston, etc.) so I am kinda wary of going with a generic type.

Thoughts?

I just bought a 2gb stick from OWC for my mbp that I just bought. $70.00 from OWC vs $700.00 from Apple. I figure that if it takes me a half hour to install (time padded to get a beer, take a leak, etc) I'm making $1,260.00 per hour. I can live on that.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    I posted this info on another thread today. Maybe no one has seen it.

4.0GB (2GB + 2GB Module Set) Upgrade kit with Micron devices for all Apple 'Core 2 Duo' 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz, Core

Brand: Other World Computing

OWC Item # OWC53IM2DDR4GBK

\t

$125.00

OWC has been dropping the price every few days. A couple of months ago, a 4GB kit sold for around $269.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

A company that sucks balls. They sent me ram that didn't work. After paying shipping both ways and paying a restocking fee, it cost me $80 for nothing.

I hope you were able to do a chargeback on that.

Anyway, OWC has been good for me in the past. Seeing that the price is very low, I think I'll have to upgrade soon too.