Apple releases iTunes 7.5, QuickTime 7.3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Monday afternoon release iTunes 7.5, which includes bug fixes and support for Phase, a new interactive music game. Meanwhile, the company also released QuickTime 7.3 distributions for Leopard, Tiger, Panther, and Windows.

iTunes 7.5

iTunes 7.5 [41.1MB for Mac, 51.8MB for Windows] features the ability to activate iPhone wherever service is offered and support for Phase, a new interactive music game designed exclusively for iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, and iPod (fifth generation).

Apple also said that iTunes 7.5 "includes bug fixes to improve stability and performance," but did not specify what those fixes address.

QuickTime 7.3

QuickTime 7.3 addresses seven critical security issues and delivers:

Support for iTunes 7.5Updated support for creating iPhone-compatible web contentUpdated JavaScript support in the QuickTime Web Plug-inNumerous bug fixes

The update, which is recommended for all QuickTime 7.x users, is available as a 52.6MB download for users of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, a 49.3MB download for users of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, and a 51.5MB download for users of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.

QuickTime 7.3 for Windows is also available [20.3MB].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    But.....Where is Mac OS X 10.4.11 ???

I want the final version of Safari 3.0 as well as the updates and fixes to the core system. Seemed like all work (or published seeds) have stopped on it.

Perhaps Safari 3.0 is a Leopard only feature....

Anyone know the status???
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iTunes 7.5 [41.1MB for Mac, 51.8MB for Windows] features the ability to activate iPhone wherever service is offered and support for Phase, a new interactive music game designed exclusively for iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, and iPod (fifth generation).

Something makes me wonder whether 7.5 is a precursor to iPhone firmware 1.1.2 as well...

Hooray for breaking the unlocks and giving consumers less choice.

-Clive
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by riversky View Post

I want the final version of Safari 3.0 as well as the updates and fixes to the core system. Seemed like all work (or published seeds) have stopped on it.

Also still waiting for a fix for Java remote execution exploit...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

iTunes 7.5 now completely conforms to the Leopard look by turning white when not selected.

Quicktime 7.3 does that too, if it didn't already, and I don't know if it did or not.

I hate that. Our eyes are attracted to light not darkness. when you select a window it darkens, and other windows brighten (to lighter shades) this is very counter intuitive.

The window you select to be at the forefront seems to blend into the mess of windows behind as it is darker. Bad design IMHO.

Rant over

I hope this update doesn't dash my hopes for a a Jailbroken CDN iPhone...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

iTunes 7.5 now completely conforms to the Leopard look by turning white when not selected.

Quicktime 7.3 does that too, if it didn't already, and I don't know if it did or not.

I hate that. Our eyes are attracted to light not darkness. when you select a window it darkens, and other windows brighten (to lighter shades) this is very counter intuitive.

The window you select to be at the forefront seems to blend into the mess of windows behind as it is darker. Bad design IMHO.

Rant over

• Reply 6 of 20
    Post Deleted by JimUrban.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Quicktime 7.3 does that too, if it didn't already, and I don't know if it did or not.[/QUOTE]

Rant over

• Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Rant over

• Reply 9 of 20
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Yes, Safari 3.0 is complete in Leopard. Finally!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

If it wasn't for Safari 3.0... I can't think of any good reason for the average person to upgrade to Leapord (oh except those really cool backgrounds in iChat which are a pixelated load of potential). Yes, I am disapointed with no killer-features for my buck. (And I don't care about time machine, whoopie, backup...)

Although Leopard is Cool, i would have preferred that killer app. Spaces is very cool, but not Killer. Hugely improved speech commands would have been such an app. Commands to easily search local, network, and the web. Dictate memos, iCals, e-mails, and more.

Yes, that would have stood the world on end...
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    You can tell by me being able to read Restalot post, go back in time and reply to his post prior to him posting it.

Leopard and Time Machine are cool!

Quote:

Quote:

Today 09:52 PM

Restalot\t
    Quote:

Originally Posted by riversky

If it wasn't for Safari 3.0... I can't think of any good reason for the average person to upgrade to Leapord (oh except those really cool backgrounds in iChat which are a pixelated load of potential). Yes, I am disapointed with no killer-features for my buck. (And I don't care about time machine, whoopie, backup...)

Today 09:43 PM

L255J\t iTunes 7.5 now completely conforms to the Leopard look by turning white when not selected.

Today 09:06 PM

MiMiC\t

Quote:

Originally Posted by riversky

Yes, Safari 3.0 is complete in Leopard. Finally!

Quote:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Restalot

Although Leopard is Cool, i would have preferred that killer app. Spaces is very cool, but not Killer. Hugely improved speech commands would have been such an app. Commands to easily search local, network, and the web. Dictate memos, iCals, e-mails, and more.

Yes, that would have stood the world on end...

• Reply 11 of 20
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member

• Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

• Reply 13 of 20
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Safari 3 is Leopard only. You won't see the final version in Tiger.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Safari 3 is in 10.4.11 and will soon be finalised for Windows.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...and support for Phase, a new interactive music game designed exclusively for iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, and iPod (fifth generation)

...Why am I not seeing this new game anywhere? It's not showing up in the iPod Games section of the iTunes store, and no new iPod software update that might carry it... what gives here?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    I have to say that I too am tapping my foot waiting impatiently for 10.4.11. I just hope that they don't delay it so long that they change their minds about releasing it. That would be crazy.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Rant over

I would disagree with your rant. I think that apple have got it right, as when a window is inactive it looks washed out but when you select a window it darkens which I think gives the window presence. In the sense that it is bolder. Its like read text on a white piece of paper you're not attracted to the white paper but to the dark text.

C
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Did anybody else notice a 'Windows-like' message after the update saying 'In order to complete the installation, your computer will need to restart'? I guess this is a major update and hence a restart may be necessary, but still shouldn't Leopard (being Unix-based and all) be able to handle it without the need for a restart?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Did anybody else notice a 'Windows-like' message after the update saying 'In order to complete the installation, your computer will need to restart'? I guess this is a major update and hence a restart may be necessary, but still shouldn't Leopard (being Unix-based and all) be able to handle it without the need for a restart?

I never saw a message like that.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

QuickTime updates have allways required a restart. Most likely because they modify system level frameworks.