Apple set to begin testing of Mac OS X 10.5.1 Leopard, more...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    macbook intel 2.16ghz, 2gb ram
  • Reply 22 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Yay for 10.5.1. Please put the firewall back in Sharing where it belongs.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    I do hope they fix the DVD Player in Leopard soon.

It blocks and refuses to play disks properly. It cannot find the subtitles to show, and when you try to open features the pulldown window blocks with a turning fire ball and leaves you no option but to pull the plug and start from scratch.

I wonder if it is my problem or Apple's.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Have .1 releases historically come this quickly? I can't remember how fast 10.4.1 came out. This is so fast that I think I'll wait for 10.5.2 for the real improvements instead of just bug fixes.

Get it out quickly now and work on 10.5.2 for macworld ?? maybe ?? BOOM etc.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    "About 5 percent of all users were running Safari while accessing the sites, indicating that most Mac users are not using Firefox or other alternate browsers."

The above line is whack. Shouldn't it say, "About 5 percent of all users were not running Safari..."
  • Reply 26 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

everyones saying how zippy leopard is. Once its loaded up it runs well....but I think startup is slower than Tiger was. Is it just me?

Maybe most people don't start up that often?
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonsai1214 View Post

to be completely honest, i haven't had any problems at all with leopard thus far. but yeah, the bootup process was a lot faster with tiger. i could press the power button on my MB and get up stretch my back, sit down and it'll be at finder.

now i can go get a cup of water, scratch my butt, crack my back, sit back down and it'll still be at the default aurora background..

I shaved about 2 seconds off my boot time with Leopard, but my keychain is still broken (which didn't happen while using the developer builds). It's quite annoying and makes me want to go back to the latest developer build.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I don't believe the Intel vs. PPC story for a second. There is no way in hell that Intel Mac use is even half that of PPC yet.

Why? Apple has grown considerably, getting 2.5M Intel units out in the last quarter when Apple was sometimes lucky to push out 1M PPC units out in a quarter.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

"About 5 percent of all users were running Safari while accessing the sites, indicating that most Mac users are not using Firefox or other alternate browsers. "

I don't know about anyone else, but Firefox runs horridly slow on my MacBook... I prefer Safari more anyway. But this is off-topic, and i apologize for any grief this has caused anyone. \

I haven't had any slowness problems, but 2.0.0.8 and newer seem to have a caching problem. After about two day's use, the program needs to be terminated and restarted to work again.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"About 5 percent of all users were running Safari while accessing the sites, indicating that most Mac users are not using Firefox or other alternate browsers."

The above line is whack. Shouldn't it say, "About 5 percent of all users were not running Safari..."

I don't think "all users" means "all Mac users" but rather, "all Web users".
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think "all users" means "all Mac users" but rather, "all Web users".

Thank you. That does make more sense.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thank you. That does make more sense.

I wonder if it does. I just realized that the statement doesn't consider the Windows users are running Safari, but maybe they are negligible in numbers.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wonder if it does. I just realized that the statement doesn't consider the Windows users are running Safari, but maybe they are negligible in numbers.

I'd love to use Safari on my work laptop if it's performance can catch up to the mac version. As it is now, it's horribly unstable, very slow, and VERY buggy. Needs ALOT of work still to be fully useable.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

I agree. Firefox used to be faster for me on the old PPC machines...don't know if there's a correlation there, but now I use Safari all the time. Firefox is noticeably slower.

When I had my 4 different PowerPC machines, it ran crap on all of them. On Tiger (on Intel) I ran Camino 1.5.x, and it was awesome, 1.5.3 has come a long way since I last ran it (recent Mac -> Windows -> Mac person, last time I used it was 0.9.x days).

Mind you, Safari 3.x has basically improved in all the areas where I had problems, Blogger/Gmail are now supported properly, I no longer need Camino.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I believe it. I rarely see ppc portables out in the wild(airports and coffee shops, ect). Almost all are intel Macbooks. See an occasional powerbook, but I even see more MBPs than powerbooks.

True. I still see the occasional PowerBook, Trademe is chocked to the brim with people trying to off load their old iBooks and PowerBooks. I'm tempted to purchase an PowerBook for my brother, who is a university student (like me) for his Christmas present. Pick up a pretty decent one these days for around NZ$300-NZ$400
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Great to have Eve ONline for teh Mac.

A game born for the Mac. I hope Cryptic use the Cider engine to port City of Heroes as well.

Not that I can't use Boot Camp...but a native version is nice...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Get it out quickly now and work on 10.5.2 for macworld ??

I would be very surprised not to see 10.5.2 by MWSF. I expect 10.5.2 to provide support for any new hardware announced at MWSF. 10.5.1 will probably be limited to the most urgent and easy to verify fixes with a release by the end of November.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

.Mac syncing with iCal has been a pain.

I don't know about .Mac as I've not got it but they've finally reconnected the sync menu bar icon with iSync again like it used to work in 10.3. Perfect syncing with my two phones (SE T610 and SE P910i) again without having to find iSync first.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    New Spaces preference in 10.5.1: Metaview

http://odelbee.com/2007/11/06/new-sp...1051-metaview/
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marcfiszman View Post

New Spaces preference in 10.5.1: Metaview

http://odelbee.com/2007/11/06/new-sp...1051-metaview/

It probably just allows you to add a personalized name to the virtual desktop-type (e.g.: gaming, personal, work). This would be seen when you use the default Control+Arrow Keys or Menu Bar options to change your Space instead of seeing just a number of the virtual desktop.