Spiral glass staircase at future NYC Apple store; Hard Drive Update 1.0

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    from what i understand. the-steve-a-nator had one of these staircases installed in his house some years ago.

apparently he was quite particular about how it was supposed to look. and became extremely angry and 'animated' when the construction guys didnt get it quite right.

atleast he tested the idea on himself first. gotta give him credit for that.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Maybe he doesn't understand the difference between thousands, millions, and billions.

One would have to assume so.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMartini View Post

I work just a couple blocks away from the Fifth Avenue store and have walked their pretty staircase many times. They only bust out the carpet strips when it's raining or snowing outside.

Possibly then they left them on for an extra day or so to dry out.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Every bit just adds up.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    I know with 99.99% certainty that they've thought of this, but have you seen the average American? I mean, I was recently in Hershey park (admittedly not the healthiest place on Earth), and the guy in the skychair ahead of me was literally taking up both seats by himself. And, sadly, he's no oddity nowadays. The thought of someone that heavy going down glass stairs just makes me cringe.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by billin View Post

I know with 99.99% certainty that they've thought of this, but have you seen the average American? I mean, I was recently in Hershey park (admittedly not the healthiest place on Earth), and the guy in the skychair ahead of me was literally taking up both seats by himself. And, sadly, he's no oddity nowadays. The thought of someone that heavy going down glass stairs just makes me cringe.

It isn't pure glass, but laminated sheets of glass and plastic:

http://www.dupont.com/safetyglass/lgn/stories/2401.html

Even if it was pure glass, 2" thick glass is pretty strong. I couldn't find weight limits by searching for "glass stair treads", but I doubt that even the fattest person could damage the treads.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    I saw something on tv recently about toughened glass, apparently the process is similar to tempering steel with heating and cooling.

To illustrate the point they dropped a Mini car onto a sheet of this toughened unlaminated glass from several feet in a dead fall. The glass was wider than the car certainly by a good few inches at the sides and I think a bit more at the ends. Bits fell off the car but the glass was fine.

They didn't say anything about dropping an average American onto it though. There's one for Mythbusters.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by billin View Post

I can assure you that even if this WAS basic tempered glass, which as has just been pointed out, it's not, each step would support at least a couple of tons. The rest of the structure is weaker than that.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    A glass staircase is news?

I am a long time Apple fanatic but come on now. Lets not get carried away. It is a staircase.

As for Pocket Pool Paul the professional line waiter, no comment.

Excuse me, I see his name is Greg Packer. I guess he is busy packing his walnuts for the winter to come.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Marketing--including store design--is always a waste of money.

I don't know, it seemed to work for whatever place that sold "advanced business insight" to you...

Seriously, somebody needs to call Steve Jobs right away and tell him how if he doesn't stop soon he'll never be as successful as you.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I don't know, it seemed to work for whatever place that sold "advanced business insight" to you...

Seriously, somebody needs to call Steve Jobs right away and tell him how if he doesn't stop soon he'll never be as successful as you.

That was a sarcastic response to the post above his. He didn't mean it.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

A glass staircase is news?

According to the DuPont page, it was the first staircase of its type in the world.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    i think it's a german company that does install the laminates...
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's first spiral glass stairway erected in Osaka Japan.

I just hope that they factor in how much more people here weight
  • Reply 35 of 36
    If I may comment on the other story here - the hard drive update - why is this update and the previous iMac updates only available manually? Why don't they show up in Software Update?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple has already played this card before to much success. The first instance came by way of the company's Osaka, Japan-based flagship shop back in 2004, where a 24-step, spiral glass stairway was suspended from the second floor, forming the centerpiece of outlet and greeting patrons as they pass through the location's glass entranceway.

I had no idea that was a new thing at the time. I remember in 2004 when I was passing the store on the street and saw it. I knew I had to go in it and check it out. It was amazing.