Comcast: "From Hell's Heart I Stab at Thee: Part II"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well I'd like to share two little lies I heard today from my favorite cable company. One was on the radio during an interview with their CEO, the other was an ad.

1. Ad: Comcast has three times as much HD programming as DirecTV.

--This is bullshit! They only say that because of their On Demand offerings. They offer about half as many channels IIRC.

2. The CEO discussed the NFL Network thing. He basically said that there are only 8 games on it anyway and they haven't gotten almost ANY complaints about pulling it. I thought I was going to drive my car off the road. As if it's just the games! I mean, I guess it's dead air for the other 21 hours a day. Bastard.

Then he blamed it on price. Then he said that real NFL fans have DirecTV Sunday Ticket anyway. THEN, he blamed...get this...Rupert Fucking Murdoch for DirecTV having an exclusive deal with the NFL for Sunday Ticket (something about being concerned about Fox's local revenues).

Just thought I'd share. Saturday can't come fast enough!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    My parents have FIOS TV. Around this time of year I am at their house watching TV for extended periods of time and I find it much nicer than DirectTV or DishNet, which they used to have.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

My parents have FIOS TV. Around this time of year I am at their house watching TV for extended periods of time and I find it much nicer than DirectTV or DishNet, which they used to have.

Nicer in terms of image quality? Or do you think the interface is good?

I ask because an earlier poster had said they thought the interface was clunky compared to others.

Also, does the service include a DVR?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I ask because an earlier poster had said they thought the interface was clunky compared to others.

I hear it does include a DVR and that they are coming out with a revamped interface quite soon, if it's not already available.

http://promo.verizon.com/img/

• Reply 25 of 34
    UPDATE:

They can't install DirecTV. I have no line of sight. Cancelled my order and got my card refunded.

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Another update:

Well I have finally surrendered to Comcast. They win, and I am defeated. They are the only option. I went and picked up a new HDMI HD-DVR (free) at least, and it's working better than the last one. The picture is better since I don't have a HDMI to DVI adapter anymore.

My plan is to cancel the landline and save $40.00 a month, then pony up the $5 for NFL Network and whatever comes with it.

The issue with the DirecTV was that as I feared, they really couldn't get a clear line of sight on my side of the building without going to the roof or something they are not allowed to do. The dude told me immediately when he saw where I lived..."this isn't going to work." Damn. As soon as I buy another house next year, goodbye Comcast, hello FIOS.

EDIT: THE FINAL UPDATE: So get this. After all this shit, I call Comcast to cancel my digital voice service. They ask me the reason and I tell them about the promotion thing (must be off 3 mos before going back on) and it's too expensive and what not. They guy says "oh, that's not true...they told you that, huh?" So he says that he CAN put me on promotion. His first offer was $129.99 a month for what I have now. I passed. Then he says "oh, well we have another package and it's only $116.99." Of course, these are the SAME packages. So my total bill will now go down by $30 a month for 12 months. In the end I have a new box, a cheaper price, and better picture.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Thank you, Lord, for making it end.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Another update:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Thank you, Lord, for making it end.

Life is about the journey, not the destination.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well I finally did it. I finally had enough. After the NFL Network debacle that I posted earlier, Comcast raised my bill $20 a month. I called and asked about and they claimed my promotion ended. I don't think that was true though, because I have been signed up for a over a year and nothing changed other than the initial promotion ending 6 months ago. I then downgraded my premiums. Anyway, this resulted in $155.00 a month for digital with no premiums, no NFL network, phone and 6Mb internet. I threatened to cancel and they told me I need to be off promotion for 3 more months before I get another, so I could pretty much take a walk.

SO: I just ordered DirecTV for $60 a month and purchased the HD-DVR. I'm also going to can my land line because frankly I don't use it. Finally, I'm seriously considering just getting 3mb DSL for $35.00 a month. The way I see it, things can't possibly be that much slower. Comcast wants $60 a month for stand alone service, so screw that. Overall I'll save about $60.00 a month this way.

My only issue will be the install. I live in an apartment that faces the wrong way for the sat stream, so we'll see what they come up with. All I know is I'm excited to shit-can my Motorola DVR...it's an utter piece of crap. It lags terribly and freezes. Can't stand it.

Anyway...thoughts about either DSL or DirecTV?

I still can't believe that anyone is willing to pay this much money per month for anything TV-related. Jeez... $155/month... that was $1,860 for the year that you could have used to buy AAPL stock. TV is no way for me to spend money. I'd rather get something back. If anything, I'd recommend getting Verizon FiOS (Internet over fiber). It's very fast and cheap.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Life is about the journey, not the destination.

Or as Bobby Knight said 'if you're getting bent over, you might as well try to enjoy it'.

Or something to that effect.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The interfaces are all clumsy, in my opinion. The image quality is good, and I'm not sure if there's much difference, but the channel changing is much quicker (or seems so). Moreover, I like the channel packages better on FIOS, and it's not affected by trees and weather.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I still can't believe that anyone is willing to pay this much money per month for anything TV-related. Jeez... $155/month... that was $1,860 for the year that you could have used to buy AAPL stock. TV is no way for me to spend money. I'd rather get something back. If anything, I'd recommend getting Verizon FiOS (Internet over fiber). It's very fast and cheap.

Well first, I wasn't willing to pay that much. That's why I went through this. Secondly, keep in mind that was for all three services...internet, phone and cable TV with hi-def and DVR. Now it's $35 less, taxes and fees included.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    It's funny. One imagines the Bay Area of the utopia futuretechnology hub of allthingsdigitalandfun.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Comcast in the Frederick Md area just got NFL Network. My son was flipping thru the channels and noticed that it was there. Gave comcast a call and with the promo it is $1.99 a month for the first year. Comes with 5 other sports channels - soccer, tennis, speed, and some college channels. After the year it goes up to $5.00. Now I don't have to hear my kids beg for direct TV. We would have to cut down lots of trees to get a line of sight or put a 20' pole on top of the house.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

Comcast in the Frederick Md area just got NFL Network. My son was flipping thru the channels and noticed that it was there. Gave comcast a call and with the promo it is $1.99 a month for the first year. Comes with 5 other sports channels - soccer, tennis, speed, and some college channels. After the year it goes up to $5.00. Now I don't have to hear my kids beg for direct TV. We would have to cut down lots of trees to get a line of sight or put a 20' pole on top of the house.

Hmm...I might do that. I wonder if they will run that promo up here.