Latest Mac OS X 10.5.1 build fixes Finder data loss issue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can drag your Applications Folder to the dock.

Yes, but that was far more useful under Tiger than Leopard. I wonder what idiot in Cupertino decided to get rid of hierarchial (popup) menus in the Dock.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    I can understand if you prefer to keep all your applications in one folder, but the nice thing about the mac is that they usually make things customizable for people who don't do things the same way you do.

I like to organize my folder into these groups: Applications, DAs (which shows hold old school I am), Internet, Games, and Utilities. Of course, I put my most used apps on the Dock, but when there was something obscure I needed, it was pretty easy to right-click the Applications menu and go to the sub-folder containing what I wanted before Leopard. In any case, I prefer not to be forced to do things any particular way. The more open the OS, the better.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Physguy, the 70s called and they want their interface back...

Put down the command line and slowly step away from your tab-completion.

Never. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I still don't understand why people would rather organize their applications into separate folders in the Finder rather than just putting folders with links to applications in them onto the dock?

Perhaps, but I am not sure, because not everyone knows what a link is.

For the average Mac user, launching applications that do not stay on the dock is a pain.

- anef
  • Reply 25 of 40
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, but that was far more useful under Tiger than Leopard. I wonder what idiot in Cupertino decided to get rid of hierarchial (popup) menus in the Dock.

I've wondered about that too. I was looking foward to Stacks as an addition, a was demonstrated at WWDC (?), where you could just bundle any combination of files into a stack. That would have been very useful.

Getting rid of hierarchical popups from the dock however was bad.

I used to use that feature a lot on my old G4.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I can understand if you prefer to keep all your applications in one folder, but the nice thing about the mac is that they usually make things customizable for people who don't do things the same way you do.

I like to organize my folder into these groups: Applications, DAs (which shows hold old school I am), Internet, Games, and Utilities. Of course, I put my most used apps on the Dock, but when there was something obscure I needed, it was pretty easy to right-click the Applications menu and go to the sub-folder containing what I wanted before Leopard. In any case, I prefer not to be forced to do things any particular way. The more open the OS, the better.

So why not put folders with this names in the side bar of the finder window and drag the app icons inside the folders?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Here is my doc organization scheme, and it works pretty darn well. I don't know if it's going to work in Leopard.

I keep almost no apps in my dock! Just the finder icon and the terminal.

The dock is pinned to the upper left, just under the Apple Menu.

All my frequent apps are in my Recent Items/Applications Folder, set to like 25 recent apps. Once they are launched they are in the dock... I pop open my Applications folder when I need an app I havent run in a while.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My Eyes!!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

I still don't understand why people would rather organize their applications into separate folders in the Finder rather than just putting folders with links to applications in them onto the dock?

I mean, isn't a pain to have to launch Finder and navigate to different folders to launch applications all the time? As opposed to just clicking and holding a labeled dock folder, scrolling to the application you want to launch, and selecting it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I agree 100%. I keep all apps in the Applications folder so I can find the actual app file if I need to. I keep a folder on the Dock with links nested by function. It works great in Tiger (Stacks screws that up though).

<cough, cough>Adobe<cough, cough>subfolders for all apps<cough, cough>

That is why I created a folder of aliases for all my frequently used apps and put that on the dock, which I wouldn't have to do if... Oh well...

Still spotlight is the best way to access apps. And for the times that using the mouse is more convenient, I have my dock folder.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Actually, I kinda blame Apple for this situation.

I mean, I'm a fairly advanced user and so I know about symbolic links and whatnot. I don't like using Finder to launch apps, but then I also don't like having 100 applications on my dock, each of which has an icon that's about 10x10 pixels large so that they can all fit on the screen (like my wife does). So I know well enough to create folders with symbolic links in them, and then drag them to the dock as a way to organize. But this isn't something well documented or intuitive to the average Mac user.

What would be nice is if Apple had something which automated this application organization process (aside from using Spotlight to search for apps -- which isn't the best way either if you don't want to use a keyboard just to launch an app).

Maybe a way to select dock icons and create a folder for them? Or even just a way to create a dock folder from the dock itself so that you can manually drag and drop dock icons into it.

Mate, why even install them else where, I've used Mac's for a total of 6 years and yet I've never felt the need to 'rage against the machine' and put my applications in some weird directory for shits and giggles.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckyreal View Post

Here is my doc organization scheme, and it works pretty darn well. I don't know if it's going to work in Leopard.

I keep almost no apps in my dock! Just the finder icon and the terminal.

Tell me, would you still leave the Finder icon in the dock if it was possible to remove it? I just cannot find any use for Finder in the dock, all it does is open my home directory and quite frankly I do that very rarely (and even if I did I could put it there myself).

I honestly want to know why Finder is in the Dock - am I missing something?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    I wonder if there's a fix in there for the weird permissions issues with windows shares?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My Eyes!!!!!

Well, your mother did warn you.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amigasteve View Post

Tell me, would you still leave the Finder icon in the dock if it was possible to remove it? I just cannot find any use for Finder in the dock, all it does is open my home directory and quite frankly I do that very rarely (and even if I did I could put it there myself).

I honestly want to know why Finder is in the Dock - am I missing something?

You can assign it to open any directory. It just opens home directory by default setting.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amigasteve View Post

I wonder if there's a fix in there for the weird permissions issues with windows shares?

What would those be? I haven't had any problems.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

What would those be? I haven't had any problems.

You can see some discussions here: http://www.macwindows.com/leopard.html#102907e

In my case I can see the shares but cannot write to them ("you do not have sufficient write pprivileges"). This only happens on my Leopard iMac, the Tiger Powerbook can write to the shares just fine.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

You can assign it to open any directory. It just opens home directory by default setting.

Thanks, but isn't that something I could easily do myself if I wanted it? Not only that, if I chose to open "Applications" for example the dock icon would look like my Applications folder. The finder icon gives no clue as to what it will open.

To put it another way, if I felt the need to have a dock icon to open a particular folder I can easily make it so. On the other hand if I don't need this functionality and my dock real estate is scarce I have no way to lose the icon.

OK, I can also use the finder icon to navigate between open finder windows, but for me Expose is just as convenient.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Mate, why even install them else where, I've used Mac's for a total of 6 years and yet I've never felt the need to 'rage against the machine' and put my applications in some weird directory for shits and giggles.

If you had read what I wrote carefully, you'd see that I _don't_ put my applications in weird folders.

However, I also _don't_ want to have to navigate through 100 applications in the Applications folder in Finder to find the one I want to launch. That _really sucks_. I also don't want to have to use Spotlight to search for applications. I'm actually not a huge fan of Spotlight because it can bog your system to a crawl at times when it's indexing -- so I often just disable it when I'm working.

So, there are 2 options:

1) Drag all of your applications (or the Applications folder) over to the dock and launch using that. However, you still have the problem where you need to navigate through 100 applications to find the one you want.

2) Create a bunch of folders in your User directory labeled Audio, Video, Graphics, Office, Development, etc, etc. Then create symbolic links within those folders to the appropriate applications, then drag those folders to the dock. This doesn't require you to move any applications around at all.

I choose #2. However, it's a bit tedious to have to do it manually (and isn't intuitive for the average user). Apple should make this type of dock organization easier to do (or provide some sort of easy to use interface for it).
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

it can bog your system to a crawl at times when it's indexing -- so I often just disable it when I'm working.

It only does this once when you install the OS. After that, indexing is transparent.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So why don't we just have the option to have things how we want them?

That always pissed me off too. I like to arrange things a lot. So what? I don't appreciate other people telling me how I should arrange my computer. People here, or at Apple. I'm glad we can move stuff now. Now all I'm waiting on is hierchical menus in the Dock. I like to have apps in different folders, in the Applications folder, and launch them from an Applications folder alias on the Dock. I don't have a 30" screen, otherwise, yeah, I'd probably have enough Dock space.

Another thing I just thought of....although maybe someone mentioned it way back...can we run two Docks at once? Is there a hack? They should make that an option too. All three sides at once if desired. Options are good.