my iphone wishlist...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

No doubt. It's a very competitive product as a gen 1 otherwise Apple wouldn't have let it out the door.

The only thing that has keep me form buying one is its locked down nature and the issue with user apps. the locked down issue I could probably ignore as I'm getting an itch for a new provider. Third party apps however are big in my book.

Quote:

You guys want a handheld computer. Should it be called iPhone? Maybe not.

Not so much a hand held computer because it is already that. Step back and thing about it and you realize just how powerful the units is. I'd rather think about it as a portable computing environment.

In any event my needs are rather simple and could probably be covered by a good portion of the contained software. If that software could access the local store itself or be directed to load files from the local store via a Finder. What I want to be able to do is to carry around files, documentation, notes and other stuff related to the Job. The best way to manage them and to pop them up for viewing, would be a "Finder" like file manager.

One an iPhone 2 with better I/O I could also make huge use of a communications app. That is a terminal emulator for RS232 or similar communications.

Quote:

They can have a 4 inch 3:2 screen in the current form factor if they can make the left and right bezels only 0.10 inch and have it maintain its structural robustness. And yup, increase the resolution would be great for web browsing.

Yep it is such an obvious update too.

Quote:

This is a thickness issue.

Well maybe not. There are several issues with respect to more memory. The thing with the larger screen height, for the larger screen, is that it opens up more board space so expansion becomes easier and cheaper for Apple. This assuming that it is cheaper for Apple to add two low cost IC's to the board than it is to had a more complex stacked chip. Now some may argue that ah half inch extra board space isn't much, that would be true to some extent but with today technology a lot can go in there.

Quote:

Well, an iPod connector to USB port dongle would be fine...

I probably could go for that, but frankly I'm not sure the USB port can be switched into host mode on that connector. If this is doable, and the adapter is cheap I could find such acceptable.

The only problem is loosing track of the adapter like we do our USB cables.

Quote:

Not needed really. They just need to either up the flash storage, currently at about $9/GB or make an 100+ GB HDD version. It's a version 1.0 product however. It'll be crazy to release so many models for a version 1 product though. Maybe version 2.

Exactly!!!!

As I see it Apple has only made two mistakes with respect to the iPhone. One was the 4GB model that apparently nobody wanted. The other is the very thin OS that frankly needs a lot of work. Much of that work needs to go into supporting the supplied hardware. This almost has to come with the SDK in Feb. otherwise developers will be extremely limited in what they can do without OS support for Bluetooth and the other ports.

The big problem with Bluetooth is that the software stack simply doesn't support of Bluetooths profiles to really turn the iPhone into a multi function device.

Quote:

Well, evolve the software at a faster rate really.

You want a handheld hobbyist computer that bad?

Hobbyiest what do you mean by that? I'm looking for a machine that offers up enough power to support what I do business wise. That is mostly technical work where carrying around files of different types can be very lucrative. Keeping knowledge with you is a form of leverage.

The frustrating thing is that iPhone has built into it many apps or libraries that could potentially do the job already. It has the ability to view PDF's, HTML's and other files already there. All we really need is to be able to store and manage them on the phone.

What is frustrating here is that iPhone could be half way there if disk mode was supported like it is on older models.

Quote:

Well, it is a very targeted product. Yeah, I'm curious to see what Leopard Finder Coverflow and Quicklook would be like on the iPhone.

It would be slower from what I can see. On the other hand it doesn't look to bad viewing albums.

Quote:

Umm, how many ports are going to be in your dream phone?

I'm not sure what the optimal balance is. They need to keep Blutoorh of course. If I needed to make a choice and only have one of them It would be the USB host port. The reason being just about anything can be hooked up there. This of course presupposes that Apple gets it act together with support of the hardware.

dave