O2's sees 8,000 iPhone activations on day one of 5-year UK exclusive

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimf1912 View Post

Then I read the review on Trusted Reviews. That convinced me. I dropped into a quiet Carphone Warehouse first thing Sat morning, fired up my Mac when I got home, and sailed through the activation process on iTunes. Within 15-20 minutes, my existing number was active on the iPhone, and the SIM disabled (for my existing number) on the old phone.

So can you take the new working SIM out of the iPhone and have it working in your old phone too or does it only work in your iPhone?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    iphone=revolution. It reallly is great. I played with one. It IS astonishing. The best blend of software and hardware ever.

However.

£269. No problem.

02? No problem.

Lock in? No problem.

18 month contract. Hmm. I could live with that.

But...£35 a month for my contract...per MONTH!?!??!

That's more than I'd pay for Sky, phone and INternet. More than one of my weekly food bills.

It's...I pay as you go now. And if I use £10? In two months?

Hey. I told the 02 lady. Tell Steve Jobs and 02 management. The £35 a month is an eye gauge too far. And that short of being hit with red kryptonite...? I wouldn't be buying for Christmas...or after until the plan is in the £10-15 range.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Yeesh. I guess all the blind people wandering around with the long silver spoons get to play 1st. I'll just keep poppin' into the store to get my fix.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

iphone=revolution. It reallly is great. I played with one. It IS astonishing. The best blend of software and hardware ever.

However.

£269. No problem.

02? No problem.

Lock in? No problem.

18 month contract. Hmm. I could live with that.

But...£35 a month for my contract...per MONTH!?!??!

That's more than I'd pay for Sky, phone and INternet. More than one of my weekly food bills.

It's...I pay as you go now. And if I use £10? In two months?

Hey. I told the 02 lady. Tell Steve Jobs and 02 management. The £35 a month is an eye gauge too far. And that short of being hit with red kryptonite...? I wouldn't be buying for Christmas...or after until the plan is in the £10-15 range.

Lemon Bon Bon.

OK, you spend all day sending email and surfing the web on your PAYG phone and see how much you spend! £35 / month for unlimited data is a bargain mate!

Orange Data plans for example:

(These plans are data only and do not include calls)

£23.50 - 65 MB

£41.13 - 80 MB

£52.88 - 400 MB
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

you spend all day sending email and surfing the web on your PAYG phone

I don't. And there's millions like me.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I don't. And there's millions like me.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Then the iPhone's not for you. Get a iPod touch and one of the Sony Ericssons that plays nicely with OS X/iCal etc.

If I really wanted Internet on the move I'd probably get one of these for my TiBook:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...home_broadband
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

OK, you spend all day sending email and surfing the web on your PAYG phone and see how much you spend! £35 / month for unlimited data is a bargain mate!

Orange Data plans for example:

(These plans are data only and do not include calls)

£23.50 - 65 MB

£41.13 - 80 MB

£52.88 - 400 MB

It's easy to get suckered in to expensive contracts. On Orange PAYG, it's £1 a day with a 25MB limit but I'm not sure they police it at all. Certainly I went about two weeks without broadband recently (due to BT cocking up a line move) and used my mobile on PAYG data as my main net connection to my Mac and I'm certain I was WAY over their limit. It also showed me that not having 3G is a BIG mistake.

They also do a £5 a month unlimited evenings and weekends bundle. If you're only an occasional data user outside of a wifi hotspot then Orange PAYG may actually be a lot cheaper than the £20 extra you're paying on O2 and of course the beauty is you can stop paying if you want to.

Also, on O2 and Orange Business contracts the data plans are both more generous and cheaper. Unfortunately O2 won't give you an iPhone on a Business contract which is a pity as that gives you free calls/texts within your company. Normal consumer contracts generally suck.