Apple talking to China Mobile; Adobe chief resigns; Apple in Japan

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

As soon as the iPhone hits the Chinese market, you can bet that copycats will have their own iPhone-like knockoffs available there. China only pays lip service to enforcing copyrights and patents from other countries. They will take the iPhone apart, figure out the multitouch technology and other Apple patented stuff, implement them in their phones and dare Apple to try and block them in Chinese courts.

Supposedly, there have been knockoffs from maybe February. Meizu has a Windows Mobile-based iPhone knock-off/homage/whatever, and it was featured on Popular Science's front cover several months ago as an "iClone" article. At least Meizu's offering is its own design and it's not really a copy and doesn't use Apple's logo, naming or really styling or design cues. There have been several phones around that are in the same general shape before iPhone was announced.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    With the newly affluent Chinese population literally exploding across China, the iPhone should do really well as a fashion phone.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yash Keough View Post

Man what about the iPhone in Canada though? Seriously what the hell Apple? We live right next to you and yet it's countries half way across the freaking world that are getting it instead! lameee Seriously Apple and Rogers, get your act together! This blows.

If Canada elects Bush for its President you will get an iPhone, otherwise, as they say in Southpark "Blame Canada".
  • Reply 24 of 33
    To those who think people in China cannot afford the iPhone, they are totally out of touch with the world. China is already the world's second largest market for computers/laptops, and cars. If they can afford a car, then they can afford the iPhone. They certainly have enough money in China to drive the Chinese stock market to high levels. If they have the money to invest in stocks, they can certainly afford a few hundreds bucks for an iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Let's put things into perspective here .... most of China simply can't afford anything luxury, let alone an iPhone .... but that doesn't mean luxury goods - like the iPhone - can't do ridiculsouly well. Current estimates put the middle - upper classes at around 190 million folks. That, and radically changing spending habits by China's youth (as opposed to older generations who traditionally keep a 30% savings rate) will mean great things for Apple and other luxury handset makers.

I'm curious about the Taiwanese market, which, unlike mainland China is entirely GSM (China like North America has both CDMA and GSM). Competition is fierce, data rates fairly reasonable ... but still data use is significantly less than Japan / South Korea. Perhaps the iPhone will change that.

iPod Touches selling well over here (Taipei) ... seems like a fairly good indication they want an iPhone !

As for Canada, why the rush ? Buy an unlocked one if you simply must, otherwise Canuckisantis like myself can look forward to the iPhone 2 being released by the time of the Canada roll out. 3G hasn't even rolled out in two out of the three largest metro areas (but will soon enough) ... and I think it's fair to say these devices will truly come into their own with ubitiquous, high speed bandwidth.

Maybe we can get some GSM competition in too to boot ! The Rogers / Fido monopoly guarantees crappy service, can't understand why that merger was ever allowed (all of the carriers had "unlimited" data plans before Roger's bought out Fido a couple of years ago).
  • Reply 26 of 33
    I should also add that Taipei has a pretty decent municipal wifi service - it's not free, but fairly cheap and convienent (you can buy a re-charge card good for 100 minutes for under $3USD at any 7-11 for example). Ideal for Touches and iPhone use.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Hong Kong would be another very good market for the iPhone. Many people there have more than one cellphone. They like to buy a new phone every few months.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

If they can afford a car, then they can afford the iPhone. They certainly have enough money in China to drive the Chinese stock market to high levels. If they have the money to invest in stocks, they can certainly afford a few hundreds bucks for an iPhone.

I would have to disagree here. The land development strategy of the Chinese government has largely been based on limited access highways, much like our Interstate system. Because of this, cars have become much of a necessity in China. Also, just because someone has bought a house does not mean that they can afford an iPhone. This logic is dangerous and very flawed. It will be interesting to see how well the iPhone sells in China. I don't think its going to tank, but I feel that the numbers will be far from impressive.

Also, have you heard of investing in foreign markets? haha... all the money in the Chinese stock market is not from China.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

I would have to disagree here. The land development strategy of the Chinese government has largely been based on limited access highways, much like our Interstate system. Because of this, cars have become much of a necessity in China. Also, just because someone has bought a house does not mean that they can afford an iPhone. This logic is dangerous and very flawed. It will be interesting to see how well the iPhone sells in China. I don't think its going to tank, but I feel that the numbers will be far from impressive.

Also, have you heard of investing in foreign markets? haha... all the money in the Chinese stock market is not from China.

I think you have to check your knowledge of China. First, you said people who bought a house or a car, cannot afford the iPhone. This is the most ridiculous comment you will see anywhere. Second, the Chinese stock market in Shanghai is not available to most foreign investors. Only those Chinese stocks listed in Hong Kong are available to foreigners. In fact, the Chinese government has been raising bank interest rates to reduce excess amount of liquidity and cool down the stock market.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I would be very jealous if China gets it because I'm in Japan.

• Reply 31 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

You should learn a bit before you make statements like that.

Read this article, particularly to bottom paragraph.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...partner=alerts
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, and no.

If Apple only allows Mac os X to run on a mac, then wouldn't that represent a similar boost in their mac sales?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

If Apple only allows Mac os X to run on a mac, then wouldn't that represent a similar boost in their mac sales?

No. It only means that no one is buying Vista. 50+% of very little, is still little.

Apple has a small marketshare in Japan. What the sales mean is that those who do have a Mac are willing to shell out for the new OS.