Patent suit targets Apple, US cellphone and computer makers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    I would equate most of these suits to the Southwestern Bell phone company lawsuit, where it was discovered that the blue bell that the company used as their logo wasn't patented. So this guy went out, patented the logo, then sued Southwestern Bell for patent infringement, AND WON? How?
    Interesting equation, since usage of a logo has NOTHING to do with patent law. It is impossible to PATENT a logo.

TRADEMARK it, yes, but not patent.

Your analogy is Interesting as well because no such thing ever happened. Nor could it have under U.S. trademark law. Even if patent law were the applicable thing here, it couldn't happen, as anyone with even the faintest knowledge of patent law would know.

So if you want to compare this suit to something, at least find something real that actually happened as your basis... Taking something your uncle's best friend's dog's former owner's mother's hairdresser said really happened as the basis for a comment that you intend to be informative (and informed) won't get you very far.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fenevad View Post
    I would equate most of these suits to the Southwestern Bell phone company lawsuit, where it was discovered that the blue bell that the company used as their logo wasn't patented. So this guy went out, patented the logo, then sued Southwestern Bell for patent infringement, AND WON? How?
    Interesting equation, since usage of a logo has NOTHING to do with patent law. It is impossible to PATENT a logo.

TRADEMARK it, yes, but not patent.

Your analogy is Interesting as well because no such thing ever happened. Nor could it have under U.S. trademark law. Even if patent law were the applicable thing here, it couldn't happen, as anyone with even the faintest knowledge of patent law would know.

So if you want to compare this suit to something, at least find something real that actually happened as your basis... Taking something your uncle's best friend's dog's former owner's mother's hairdresser said really happened as the basis for a comment that you intend to be informative (and informed) won't get you very far.

Good point. ALL those early Bell Logos (from the early 1960s all the way up to the Blue AT&T World logo) were designed by the late great Saul Bass when he was partner at the Bass & Yager design firm. These were serious guys doing some serious work. I very much doubt that they would NOT get their & their client's lawyers on a TRADEMARK filing for this or ANY logo. They never had a history of anything happening like this to them ever. As a designer who had done my fair share of logos, this is one fundamental step that never gets skipped.

Next time: Research, my friend.

P.S. Anytime you see a real cool movie title intro, you can thank Saul. He and his wife pretty much invented the whole concept of movie titles being "mini-movies" with great flair, artistry and of course - design. Before him, movie titles were just that - just titles or words slapped on the screen.